Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My thoughts on this situation are:
Student is a horrible criminal and needs to be in jail for a while. 19 30.16%
Student was wrong but get over it. It's not a big deal. 14 22.22%
I see both sides to the story. Student should have just been sent out in the hall. That easy. 5 7.94%
Neutral. 1 1.59%
Student did not do too much wrong. He wanted his cell phone back. 6 9.52%
Student did what was right. This is not an assault. 6 9.52%
Other opinions. 16 25.40%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,223,888 times

Advertisements

The kid never should have touched his teacher or had a cell phone in class. It all boils down to the fact that kids are disrespectful little s**** these days who need a large dose of discipline. Parents these days are for the most part are AWFUL!! I see the way my 5 year old niece runs her Mother and it's sickening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:03 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,482,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I voted that the student did not do anything wrong. The teacher should have told the kid to put the phone away & not try to take it. The student may have been wrong to grab the teacher's hand [esp since it was a female teacher] but mostly it was the teacher's fault & the student should not have been arrested. I share a cell phone with my brother & we take it to school. I put it on vibrate so the teacher can't tell when I get a call & maybe text or talk in a whisper if the teacher isn't looking. I would do the same thing as the student in Texas but maybe not grab the teacher's hand.
My god, can't you folks live without those stupid cell-phones??

Old 12-15-2009, 11:06 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,381,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
My god, can't you folks live without those stupid cell-phones??
Yes, I can live without cell phones esp since I share one anyway. But I like to be able to talk to my friends in another class because I may not see them otherwise & we can get together after school.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:14 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,239,254 times
I voted for both. The thing really my exact opinion is not in the poll so maybe I should've voted other. He doesn't need to spend the rest of his life in jail or even a month in jail over squeezing the lady's hand. So in a way its not a big deal.

At the same time that's still assault and he has to be taught that is unacceptable. Also there's a bigger issue at hand regarding safety. At 17 he's physically an adult and probably larger in stature than the female teacher. I'm sure she had him arrested because she didn't feel safe in the classroom. If he's bold enough to squeeze an adult's hand so that she drops the phone then there's no telling what else he's bold enough to do. I question whether or not he should even be allowed back into the school if his phone is that important to him in a no cell phone school.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I voted for both. The thing really my exact opinion is not in the poll so maybe I should've voted other. He doesn't need to spend the rest of his life in jail or even a month in jail over squeezing the lady's hand. So in a way its not a big deal.

At the same time that's still assault and he has to be taught that is unacceptable. Also there's a bigger issue at hand regarding safety. At 17 he's physically an adult and probably larger in stature than the female teacher. I'm sure she had him arrested because she didn't feel safe in the classroom. If he's bold enough to squeeze an adult's hand so that she drops the phone then there's no telling what else he's bold enough to do. I question whether or not he should even be allowed back into the school if his phone is that important to him in a no cell phone school.
Good point terrence. The kid was probably wrong for grabbing the teachers hand but teachers put their hands on students all the time. I understand breaking up a fight but not when a teacher is mad & push students around for no reason.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:24 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,738,096 times
If teachers were allowed to defend themselves the arrest would be unnecessary. However, if a student physically resists a teacher the police should arrest him simply to embarass the student.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I'm going to play gadfly. . . . The student should be commended for defending his personal property and the teacher arrested for attempted theft. If cell phone usage is wrong, the teacher should have reported to admin and punishment (detention) given through admin office.

I understand the school's desire to limit student phone use but imo they've gone off the deep end.

How many that post for the teacher would sit idly buy if their employer confiscated their personal phone if present during working hours?
I wouldn't tolerate it but I'm an adult. But you know if I had a job that prohibited cell phone usage then chances are I'd just be fired. Students at this school are not even suspended for having a cell phone so in a way they're getting off easy by just having it confiscated. Also at 17 high school is optional. If he doesn't like the rules of high school then he can get his GED and a job.

But really and truly like someone else said it's not about the cell it's about the assault. It's about the fact that this teacher was no longer safe in the workplace. From an outside perspective I would go as far as to say he should've been expelled. And if I was the teacher I'd at the very least not let him back in my classroom and would try to get him transferred to another class if not another school. But I don't know this kid and he might be an okay guy who just made a bad choice.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
If teachers were allowed to defend themselves the arrest would be unnecessary. However, if a student physically resists a teacher the police should arrest him simply to embarass the student.
I don't know if I'd go that far. You mean like the teacher pulling a gun on him? That's taking it too far. What was she going to do shoot him? What if she misses and hits someone else? That's too much.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Good point terrence. The kid was probably wrong for grabbing the teachers hand but teachers put their hands on students all the time. I understand breaking up a fight but not when a teacher is mad & push students around for no reason.
Well I don't know about a teacher putting their hands on a student just because they're mad. Sounds like a problem that needs to be reported. Again it goes back to the teacher not feeling safe in the classroom. Also the students' safety is in jeopardy too if he's this mad over a cell phone.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Well I don't know about a teacher putting their hands on a student just because they're mad. Sounds like a problem that needs to be reported. Again it goes back to the teacher not feeling safe in the classroom. Also the students' safety is in jeopardy too if he's this mad over a cell phone.
I keep my eye on certain teachers in case they try to get physical. Sometime teachers parole the hallways & yell at students if we happen to be walking too slow or something. Some teachers push students to walk faster. I have never hit a teacher but know if one tries to push me around that I will react [not that I would hit the teacher but I would tell the teacher to be careful unless they want me to tell the principal].
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies