Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 05:57 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not sure the original poster is valid either, but do you have any evidence the Dakotas have low educational standards?

Looking it up for myself they don't do well in fourth or eight graders being "above advanced" in math.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

However they do quite well in fourth and eighth graders being "above basic" in math.

Most things I've read state students in the Dakotas do well on SATs and ACTs.

SAT scores by state - USATODAY.com
ACT Composite Scores by State

The two states also have high high school graduate rates and are in the top 20 of Morgan Quitno's "Best Educated Index."

High School Graduation Rates in the United States | Table 1

One source indicates them among the states where a ninth-grader has the best chance of going to college.

http://www.higheredinfo.org/dbrowser/index.php?submeasure=62&year=2006&level=nation&mod e=graph&state=0

As for the original post I believe Boston and Minneapolis also have very long histories of Democratic mayors. El Paso's mayors are non-partisan so saying they've "never had a Republican mayor" is slightly misleading. Miami's current mayor is an independent.

Cities with Republican mayors include

Anaheim, California
Charlotte, North Carolina - Their mayor founded some Republican mayors group.
Chula Vista, California
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dallas, Texas
Indianapolis, Indiana
Jacksonville, Florida
Lubbock, Texas
Modesto, California
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma - Their mayor heads some Republican mayors group.
Reno, Nevada
San Diego, California
Tucson, Arizona

There are also large suburbs, like Plano or Arlington in Texas, with Republican mayors.

Of those listed Dallas and Lubbock have the highest poverty rates. Lubbock is the more Republican of the two as Lubbock county went for McCain in 2008. Hialeah, Florida also has a Republican mayor, and a fair amount of poverty, but I didn't list it as it's apparently part of a larger metro-area.

Anyway for poor Republicans there's parts of Tennessee and Kentucky. Jackson County, Kentucky is a very poor county that is also solidly Republican. East Tennessee has been solid Republican since the 1880s, at least, and has some poor counties.
I was more referring to the poorest areas.But I believe(please correct me,if wrong)The Dakota's graduation rates are below the U.S. average.The quality of education is better but the amount of students that graduate is less.

Last edited by Yac; 12-08-2009 at 06:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Both Dakotas are among the fourteen states with graduation rates above 80%. Idaho is another conservative state that has a rate over 80%. California and New York were two of the lowest.

Indicator 19 (2009) Public High School Graduation Rates by State (http://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/2009/section3/indicator19.asp - broken link)

When you go outside the South, which is still often Democratic at a state level, "conservative states" really don't do so bad. States like the Dakotas, Idaho, Utah, and Wyoming are among the most conservative in the nation. Their rates of poverty are below average and their education is okay. Downside being they're fairly small states in population so numerically the Southern area has way more conservatives and more problems.

Poverty 46-001 (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/macro/032008/pov/new46_001.htm - broken link)
Poverty 46-002 (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/macro/032008/pov/new46_002.htm - broken link)
http://www.gallup.com/poll/122333/Political-Ideology-Conservative-Label-Prevails-South.aspx

That said there are some liberal states that do better than them on stats. Vermont usually comes out better on education, crime, etc.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I used to live in Plano and Dallas politics you can really never figure out. Right now they have Leppert who is a Republican and a "conservative" who is about as liberal as me (and that is pretty damn liberal) and who came there from New York of all places. When I lived there they had a Democrat that was probably less liberal than Leppert is. And then they had a homosexual running for Mayor that lost by like 46 to 54%. So I would not really call Dallas a hotbed of conservative politics. The suburbs might be but Dallas itself is not.
100% correct.

Leppert may be a Republican, but hes definately not conservative (at least on a social level).

Dallas and Atlanta (as examples) are hotbeds of liberal politics surrounded by uber-conservative suburbs.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:32 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Exclamation Good Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
100% correct.

Leppert may be a Republican, but hes definately not conservative (at least on a social level).

Dallas and Atlanta (as examples) are hotbeds of liberal politics surrounded by uber-conservative suburbs.
Most red states have cities that are hotbeds of liberalsim. Ironically, it is those impoverished liberal cities that drag the red suburbs and rural areas down!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
Most red states have cities that are hotbeds of liberalsim. Ironically, it is those impoverished liberal cities that drag the red suburbs and rural areas down!
So Dallas and Austin (statistically the two "bluest" cities in Texas) drag Texas down? I really dont think so.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:54 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,610,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
So Dallas and Austin (statistically the two "bluest" cities in Texas) drag Texas down? I really dont think so.
The 18th Congressional District in Houston is either the 2nd or 3rd poorest CD in the country. This is the territory of Queen "Sheila", AKA Sheila Jackson-Lee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

She used a taxpayer jet to fly out to Michael Jackson's funeral.... Yea, she'll get reelected, because she's a black woman in a majority black/minority district. Queen Sheila!!!

Old 09-14-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuba libre View Post
The 18th Congressional District in Houston is either the 2nd or 3rd poorest CD in the country. This is the territory of Queen "Sheila", AKA Sheila Jackson-Lee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

She used a taxpayer jet to fly out to Michael Jackson's funeral.... Yea, she'll get reelected, because she's a black woman in a majority black/minority district. Queen Sheila!!!
And thats evidence that Democrats are trying to hold people back? Both Republicans and Democrats do shaddy things all the time. I personally think they both suck. I hate most politicians.

Old 06-17-2010, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,082 times
Whoa! Is ckhthankgod telling me that most of the segregated cities are in the North? That can't be! All my life this southern boy has been taught that the South is the only place that is segregated and tath we are all racist with the North being so enlightened. Did I get something wrong in the translation? What a revelation!

Old 10-14-2013, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 833 times
"A variety of factors have played a role in keeping cities/states poor. Only the simple minded would like to think it's simply that easy to say a city or state is like this or that b/c of which party is most prevalent."

I agree with this part of your post, however, your pointing to the states over the cities is inaccurate. You should read this link. It supports part of what you are saying with regards to poverty being a much larger issue than political party choice, but at the same time, refutes the "republican poor state fact"

Are the 10 Poorest U.S. States Really Republican? - Forbes

Enjoy

Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I think every Mad Max'ish city in the USAtard is controlled by Demodummies????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies