Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:10 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times

Advertisements

What we need is another "Greatest Generation" but I fear that kind of mindset and attitude has been lost for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I wish I had gone to Woodstock instead of 'Nam.

The dreams would be a lot more pleasant. I have watched what could have been an actual realization of a peaceful egalitarian society be dissolved by the Wall Street shysters, the greedy power mad politicians and the wacked out radical Kristians. We have lost so much and retained so little.

Yea, Woodstock would have been better than 'Nam. Anybody would have been better than Nixon and Raygun. We would be better off if we did the Woodstock bit.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:50 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Yes of course we do. Better yet we should have never lost the first one.

Did you think of this post because of the Woodstock Generation on TV tonight?

They sure were great times. I would give up everything I own to go back to 1969. Other then the stress of the damn war in Vietnam life was so wonderful. Free love, free LSD, free food, free shelter. Everyone shared and no one depended on this usless wasteful good for nothing govt. We hated the pigs more then a mongoose hates a boa constrictor. Still do.

I have not changed much. I still hate the politicians and the pigs with badges or domestic terrorists as they are known now. I have not cut my hair since 1967 and I still play the music of my time with other professional musicians. Both of us still wear a gold peace sign around our necks every day of our lives. The only thing I dont do is wear bell bottoms but we both wear Hippy clothing.
In '68 the hippies all (except you) cut their hair
and declared the dream dead. Where were you?
Sixth grade?

Turns out that 5000 years of accumulated human wisdom
trumped that self indulgent, drug fueled reinvention of life.
Long hair just wasn't that important.
But there were a few good songs.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:24 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
How many vets do you know and talked to? The contention that the derision of vets did not happen is shameful and deceitful. The spitting and "baby killer" comments are not in the vet's imagination. Shame on you.
Shame indeed! I'm one of those veterans. I did not get spat upon. If I had I'd probably still be in prison for how I would have reacted. But there were incidents.

I returned in March 1969. Before going from the airport to the base to out-process I got in line to purchase a ticket home. As soon as I did I was confronted and reviled by one of those peace-loving, long-haired, strangely dressed, sandal-wearing "hippies" who made less than pleasant remarks about my country and my service. He backed off when I told him that, yes, I did just return from a war which meant I hads killed better things than him so he should probably go bother someone else. I had just stepped on U.S. soil for the first time in 22 months following a 14 hour flight and I was tired and in no mood for his foolishness.

I took a bus from the airport closest to my home to my town. There was no bus station there but there was a pay-phone so I called for a taxi. I had a 100+ pound duffel bag and a 50 pound AWOL bag I didn't feel like toting. It was Saturday night and I was told it would be an hour and a half until I could be picked up.

I grabbed my bag, threw my duffel over my shoulder and started the mile trek to my home. Several time people in cars driving past me shouted uncomplimentary slurs at me and twice, beer cans were thrown at me from moving cars.

Some time later I returned to work for the employer I had before I enlisted. On my first day on the job (grocery) I pulled my time card to clock-in and someone had taken a black marker and written "Baby Killer" across it.

For those who would like to believe these tyhpes of thing didn't happen, they did and I know I'm not the only vet of that era/war to have received disturbing behavior at the hands of our grateful nation.

One couple more things to think about. We had to build our own monument and there was no national welcome home anything like there had been for veterans of former wars (think of the lyrics to When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again). In fact, it wasn't until the end of Desert Storm that a major parade was held in honor of those returning from that very short war -- the first such major recognition since the end of the Korean War. As almost an afterthought my era of vets were invited to march in the parade but I believe most of us considered it too little, too late. I know I did. But I'm glad the parade was held for a new generation of combat veterans. Not only is that as it should be but my oldest son was one of the first in and last out of Desert Storm.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
it wasnt about the songs Robert, they were good of course .. Long hair was fun but it didnt make the man ( or woman ) we failed ourselves altho our intent was right our methods werent
Not all of us "hippy" folks were on the same page .. money and power became the master of many Those who tried to bring change were left abused and denied by the power mongers . and our sons and husbands and fathers died for nothing but greed and evil mens dreams

just what did we get / win /accomplish by going to Nam?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:36 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
just what did we get / win /accomplish by going to Nam?
Not a damn thing except a memorial wall in Washington. But the freaking war ended almost 35 years ago and it's time everyone, including my fellow vets, stopped using it as a crutch for our generation's failings. It wasn't Vietnam that caused the era of greed, most of the loss of civility in our society and the bursting of various financial bubbles.

Im in the vanguard of baby boomers, born in 1946, and I despair the legacy, indebtedness and lost morality this generation has left our children and grandchildren as well.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Have you ever listened to the Lyrics of the original "Johnny"? Not the jingoist nonsense. Jonny came back barely alive but thankfully “You’ll never be going’ away again. Johnny we’re glad to see Ya.”

I got home in 1967. One fool asked me if I was a "baby Killer?" I responded with a terse, "Not yet." He left.

I worked for a year as a machinist. Near end of the year I started growing a beard. The foreman said, "Shave or leave." I punched my time card and left. As I was walking away he asked, "What are you doing?" I responded with "Taking the second option." He said, "But we trained you how to machine titanium." I said, "Thanks, but you have absolutely no right to tell me how I must appear. That is MY choice, not yours. Good by."

I had a bad attitude about petty tyrants then and I still do. I'll do the job I am paid to do, nothing more and nothing less.

I was betrayed just by being there and I do not forget. I will never fight for some rich dicks Empire again and I tell any kid that will listen to not do it either. You do not owe the plutocrats a dime, let alone your life. If they want to loot the world let them go and carry a gun. I'm through.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not a damn thing except a memorial wall in Washington. But the freaking war ended almost 35 years ago and it's time everyone, including my fellow vets, stopped using it as a crutch for our generation's failings. It wasn't Vietnam that caused the era of greed, most of the loss of civility in our society and the bursting of various financial bubbles.

Im in the vanguard of baby boomers, born in 1946, and I despair the legacy, indebtedness and lost morality this generation has left our children and grandchildren as well.

I dont see the past as the crutch but as the eye opener for "our" generation I agree that it wasnt JUST Vietnam that caused the greed and anger it was the head of the festering tho the attempt was to drain the pus but no one thought to remove the core of the infection ,, which is why we have the new war of greed and terrorism thats gonna be a nother swept under the rug war of broken men & women and shattered lives The sore scabbed over and pulled an abecess on us the people and we didnt fix it right so here we go again the sore is a ozzing scar that needs proper treatment and it aint happening yet again , and thats sad to watch ......

Old 08-31-2009, 09:15 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Shame indeed! I'm one of those veterans. I did not get spat upon. If I had I'd probably still be in prison for how I would have reacted. But there were incidents.

I returned in March 1969. Before going from the airport to the base to out-process I got in line to purchase a ticket home. As soon as I did I was confronted and reviled by one of those peace-loving, long-haired, strangely dressed, sandal-wearing "hippies" who made less than pleasant remarks about my country and my service. He backed off when I told him that, yes, I did just return from a war which meant I hads killed better things than him so he should probably go bother someone else. I had just stepped on U.S. soil for the first time in 22 months following a 14 hour flight and I was tired and in no mood for his foolishness.

I took a bus from the airport closest to my home to my town. There was no bus station there but there was a pay-phone so I called for a taxi. I had a 100+ pound duffel bag and a 50 pound AWOL bag I didn't feel like toting. It was Saturday night and I was told it would be an hour and a half until I could be picked up.

I grabbed my bag, threw my duffel over my shoulder and started the mile trek to my home. Several time people in cars driving past me shouted uncomplimentary slurs at me and twice, beer cans were thrown at me from moving cars.

Some time later I returned to work for the employer I had before I enlisted. On my first day on the job (grocery) I pulled my time card to clock-in and someone had taken a black marker and written "Baby Killer" across it.

For those who would like to believe these tyhpes of thing didn't happen, they did and I know I'm not the only vet of that era/war to have received disturbing behavior at the hands of our grateful nation.

One couple more things to think about. We had to build our own monument and there was no national welcome home anything like there had been for veterans of former wars (think of the lyrics to When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again). In fact, it wasn't until the end of Desert Storm that a major parade was held in honor of those returning from that very short war -- the first such major recognition since the end of the Korean War. As almost an afterthought my era of vets were invited to march in the parade but I believe most of us considered it too little, too late. I know I did. But I'm glad the parade was held for a new generation of combat veterans. Not only is that as it should be but my oldest son was one of the first in and last out of Desert Storm.
Thanks for serving! I have a clinic at the VA. These guys recount many of the things you have said. Obviously neither you or them are confabulating. It really happened and is shameful, particularly when some deny its occurance.

Old 08-31-2009, 09:38 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As much fun as it would be, lets look at what the woodstock gen has done for me lately.

Not that much, and the changes they promised aren't here. And even though most of them smoked pot, most don't support legalization.
Yes, it is all about you.

First of all, we have a "woodstock" generation today.
We have environmental students, organic farmers, people who work for peace, people who work to help other people.
If you don't see it, you don't know very many young adults or are caught up in your own world.

I see it a lot, all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies