Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 10:08 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Muntadhar al-Zeidi's act of protest during Bush's last visit to Iraq as president turned the 30-year-old reporter into a folk hero across the Arab world, as his case became a rallying point for critics who resented the 2003 U.S. invasion and occupation.

"Al-Zeidi's shoes were a suitable farewell for Bush's deeds in Iraq," Sunni lawmaker Dhafir al-Ani said in welcoming the early release. "Al-Zeidi's act expressed the real will and feelings of the Iraqi people. His anger against Bush was the result of the suffering of his countrymen."

Iraqi who threw his shoes at Bush to be freed from prison early for good behavior, lawyer says -- chicagotribune.com

This is hilarious....

I am VERY conservative. However, I don't think that the guy should have gone to prison for just chucking a shoe. Heck, Bush even laughed about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 10:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
I'd love to see him in an ad for Kenneth Cole shoes!

It'd be great if something like this did happen but he seemed to be a pretty principled guy...maybe he'll write a book....

Old 08-30-2009, 12:13 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,434,984 times
Bush, after quickly ducking, "I think that was a ten and a half."

Old 08-30-2009, 12:19 PM

454 posts, read 795,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It'd be great if something like this did happen but he seemed to be a pretty principled guy...maybe he'll write a book....

True. I was thinking in more practical terms - that a chunk of foreign currency would allow him the freedom to move his family out of harm's way. Not that he should sell out; I just think a little cash would help him remain principled and unafraid.

although I can absolutely see how you could read it that way.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:25 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,644,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
He and thousands of others can thank President Bush for removing Hussein from power so that he can write what he likes with being shot, hanged or having his tounge cut off.
I think Bush was more interested in removing Hussein so that he could "write" law and "do" pretty much whatever he wanted with their wealth. Historic artifacts, 100's of millions of dollars in US currency, and God knows how much oil (since Iraq's oil was unmetered) disappeared without a trace. The one thing he couldn't seem to take from them were "WMD's" because there weren't any. Sorry, but I don't feel to much sympathy for Bush Jr. That shoe didn't hurt him, his way of spreading democracy did.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmoose View Post
True. I was thinking in more practical terms - that a chunk of foreign currency would allow him the freedom to move his family out of harm's way. Not that he should sell out; I just think a little cash would help him remain principled and unafraid.
agree

Old 08-30-2009, 12:44 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
He and thousands of others can thank President Bush for removing Hussein from power so that he can write what he likes with being shot, hanged or having his tounge cut off.

And thousands can thank no one because they're DEAD for no other reason than living in their own country.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:16 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Muntadhar al-Zeidi's act of protest during Bush's last visit to Iraq as president turned the 30-year-old reporter into a folk hero across the Arab world, as his case became a rallying point for critics who resented the 2003 U.S. invasion and occupation.

"Al-Zeidi's shoes were a suitable farewell for Bush's deeds in Iraq," Sunni lawmaker Dhafir al-Ani said in welcoming the early release. "Al-Zeidi's act expressed the real will and feelings of the Iraqi people. His anger against Bush was the result of the suffering of his countrymen."

Iraqi who threw his shoes at Bush to be freed from prison early for good behavior, lawyer says -- chicagotribune.com

This is hilarious....
He shouldn't have been locked up in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies