Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with HBO's Bill Maher
I agree with HBO's Bill Maher: Americans are Too 'Stupid' So President Should Force ObamaCare into Law 29 54.72%
I DISAGREE with HBO's Bill Maher that the American People are stupid 4 7.55%
I agree with HBO's Bill Maher that President Should Force ObamaCare into Law 2 3.77%
I DISAGREE with HBO's Bill Maher that President Should Force ObamaCare into Law 4 7.55%
I agree that Bill Maher and Obama are stupid, and so is O'Brien for having Maher on his show 6 11.32%
I agree that I'm cancelling my HBO 1 1.89%
If Obama agrees with HBO's Bill Maher, Obama will destroy the Democrat Party. 2 3.77%
I don't think that President Obama is so stupid that he will Force ObamaCare into Law 0 0%
I'm attending the March for Freedom in Washington DC on September 12, 2009 4 7.55%
I'll keep my head in the sand and pray that this is all a dream 0 0%
other 1 1.89%
not sure 0 0%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,528,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I guess we will see who is right in 2010.
Now you're not making any sense at all. We were discussing bipartisanship. You claimed bipartisanship means "not attacking" (Palin). I challenged that claim. Regardless, the meaning of bipartisanship is not determined by elections; it will mean the same thing before and after November, 2010.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 12:48 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
OH so highly educated is someone who realizes there have only been 2 world wars or that OUR OWN COUNTRY begins with a U??

Sorry but thats not good enough.

The same people that hate people who speak Spanish because they are different couldn't even say what language people speak who are from Latin America.

AND the people who think we won the Vietnam war killed me. How about the guy who thought Austrailia was Iran. My daughter learned that in geography a couple years ago.

I don't call any of this highly educated STUFF, its pretty basic stuff taught in elementary school.
That kind of stupidity calls into question if the US is smart enough to support a Democracy.
How many interviews do you think they did to get 2-3 minutes of stupid people ? I would speculate I could go to any advanced country in the world and come up with similar video.

How many of those stupid people voted for McCain or Obama ? How many support or don't support UHC ? Stupid people are not the sole possession of the U.S.

For the record, I've seen highly educated people that can absorb book learning who barely function in the outside world. It's not that uncommon.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:54 PM

245 posts, read 447,858 times
Why isn't there the choice: Many Americans are stupid, but Obama shouldn't regress to Chicago-Style politics by forcing his dream of a Single-Payer System down the throats of all Americans.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:57 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Now you're not making any sense at all. We were discussing bipartisanship. You claimed bipartisanship means "not attacking" (Palin). I challenged that claim. Regardless, the meaning of bipartisanship is not determined by elections; it will mean the same thing before and after November, 2010.
I asserted that bipartisanship encompassed civility, you disagreed with that notion. I do think and the poll I posted affirmed bipartisanship is indeed an issue..

Old 08-30-2009, 12:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Do you agree with HBO's Bill Maher?

HBO's Bill Maher: Americans Too 'Stupid' So President Should Force ObamaCare into Law
HBO's Maher: Americans Too 'Stupid' So President Should Force ObamaCare into Law | NewsBusters.org
Obama cannot "force" anything into law. He needs the votes of 218 Congressmen and 51 Senators (no, the LAW nor the Constitution require 60 votes in the Senate). Should he be more forceful in getting it done? Absolutely! He needs to do what he needs to do to get it done.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Look my friend yes most of my doctor friends have no idea what it is to live on $60,000/ year. Heck anything less than 500K is poverty. They eat in the finest NYC restaurants, send their kids to the most prestigious schools etc. no they are removed form the common man. Have you ever heard the of a limousine liberal? That is what you find around here.
Okay. And this is relevant to common sense in what way?

Quote:
Now my other group of friends are opinion makers, NYC media types. They think Christians are a punch line. Most folks in the rest of the country have no idea what the NY elite think of them if they did they would be disgusted.
Okie-dokie. See above.

Quote:
Again you are out of touch with reality with 10% unemployment in NYC there are plenty of smart people driving cabs. It is that kind of elitist statement that proves my point. Because someone is a cab driver they are dumb. Disgraceful.
I see. So, you're claiming that the smart cab drivers are doing so because of a lack of jobs in their chosen fields? Doesn't that contradict what you are arguing?

I didn't say cab drivers are dumb. I do, however, feel confident in asserting that your average cab driver is less intelligent than Bill Gates.

Cab driver or computer programmer? Hmmm... I'm going with the programmer. Ditch digger or accountant? I pick the accountant.

What's going on here is a specious argument. Not being able to reasonably claim that an assembly line worker has the intelligence of a physician, an invented, undefined and unsubstantiated phrase is offered: common sense. As I've stated, anyone who actually possesses an ounce of this "common sense," see's such an argument for what it is: NONsense.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I asserted that bipartisanship encompassed civility, you disagreed with that notion. I do think and the poll I posted affirmed bipartisanship is indeed an issue..
Yes, the poll did address bipartisanship. It did not address Sarah Palin nor civility. You made that connection yourself.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
How many interviews do you think they did to get 2-3 minutes of stupid people ? I would speculate I could go to any advanced country in the world and come up with similar video.
Agreed. It reminded me of Leno's gig. (Jaywalkin' I think it was called?)

Quote:
For the record, I've seen highly educated people that can absorb book learning who barely function in the outside world.
Yep. I imagine this is true.
Quote:
It's not that uncommon.
Disagree completely. It's extremely uncommon.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,789,526 times
I think a lot of Americans have been brain washed and I wish they would see the benefits of a single-payer system.

Old 08-30-2009, 01:11 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Okay. And this is relevant to common sense in what way?

Okie-dokie. See above.

I see. So, you're claiming that the smart cab drivers are doing so because of a lack of jobs in their chosen fields? Doesn't that contradict what you are arguing?

I didn't say cab drivers are dumb. I do, however, feel confident in asserting that your average cab driver is less intelligent than Bill Gates.

Cab driver or computer programmer? Hmmm... I'm going with the programmer. Ditch digger or accountant? I pick the accountant.

What's going on here is a specious argument. Not being able to reasonably claim that an assembly line worker has the intelligence of a physician, an invented, undefined and unsubstantiated phrase is offered: common sense. As I've stated, anyone who actually possesses an ounce of this "common sense," see's such an argument for what it is: NONsense.
Talk about non sense. who said anything about intelligence. Can't you see the difference between intelligence and common sense? If not you need to get out more.

It is like saying intelligent people are better tennis players. The two are not related. I have met many people who have common sense who are not too smart and many smart people who have no common sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies