Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Calm down a little. Personally, I dispise greed (every raise I get from now until the day I die gets donated to charity), however why is it bad? You are speaking like a typical liberal. Tolerance is a good thing, as long as it is something you agree with. If we are to be a tolerant, accepting socity, shouldn't we accept people who want to do nothing but accumulate wealth?

I never asked if you AGREE with this philosophy, I asked why it is a bad thing. Please try to answer these questions rationally, not emotionally, or your answers will not be taken seriously.
Again, you leave clues in your questions.

Greed is not a philosophy. It is an emotion. It is irrational. Greed is no different than an addiction. It is an addiction.

Walking over people, causing harm, to accumulate things one doesn't need (or even want), is similar to a junkie who steals to support his habit. Because of our system, the results may be different, but the addiction felt by both the greedy and the junkie are the same.

Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride

Whoever said "everything in moderation" was a very wise person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:30 PM

768 posts, read 1,087,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that bloated oaf wouldn't give away his discarded kleenex for free.

just curious; how many wrongwingers who can't stop bellowing about the comparatively slender rush limbaugh would care to comment on the estimated daily calorie intake of this multi-chinned monstrousity?
Wrong. He paid for medical expenses for one of his biggest critics.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:31 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post

Walking over people, causing harm, to accumulate things one doesn't need (or even want), is similar to a junkie who steals to support his habit. Because of our system, the results may be different, but the addiction felt by both the greedy and the junkie are the same.

Um, you can have ambition and the desire to accumulate wealth without walking over anyone or breaking any rules.

You people need to meet some real rich people and stop using Paris Hilton or Bernie Madoff as your examples.

There are many people who have acquired a lot of wealth by doing nothing more than working their arses off for years and years...sacrificing and saving.

They play by the rules, they give back to their community, they pay their fair share of taxes. But these people are boring and don't drive up ratings, so you never hear about them.

Yes, the system is set up so it can be abused by a few jerk-offs here and there. But assuming everyone is like that is just ignorant.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Again, you leave clues in your questions.

Greed is not a philosophy. It is an emotion. It is irrational. Greed is no different than an addiction. It is an addiction.

Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride

I agree with you completely, and it seems like we are finally getting to the point I want to make. While you are right, there is nothing wrong (in a legal sense) with this. I love you analogy, and just as there is nothing illegal about being an alcoholic, I believe there should be nothing illegal about being greedy (both things I do not like). If you were not approaching this issue from a legal point of view, I apologize, but that is where I immediately start when I am in the politics forum.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM

23,844 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Probably because they haven't been promoting it on Fox News or Free Republic.
What's "Free Republic"?

So where HAVE they been promoting it? I'm talking about real promotion, not blogs and giddy Mooreons chattering amongst themselves.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:36 PM

195 posts, read 427,073 times
Its funny how Michael makes a movie about " Capitalism" and he is " Capitalizing " in money profits from making the movie...lol http://forums.allsexresources.com/images/smilies/yahoo/24.gif (broken link).....I still thinks he's cool tho.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,092 times
Quote:
Lust
Gluttony
Greed
Sloth
Wrath
Envy
Pride

The 7 things you mention describe America very well.
God Ble$$ America! I think Bernie Madoff should be released from detention and held up as the American ideal.
(This is not what I believe, but my perceptions of America).

Old 08-31-2009, 12:42 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,522,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, you can have ambition and the desire to accumulate wealth without walking over anyone or breaking any rules.

You people need to meet some real rich people and stop using Paris Hilton or Bernie Madoff as your examples.

There are many people who have acquired a lot of wealth by doing nothing more than working their arses off for years and years...sacrificing and saving.

They play by the rules, they give back to their community, they pay their fair share of taxes. But these people are boring and don't drive up ratings, so you never hear about them.

Yes, the system is set up so it can be abused by a few jerk-offs here and there. But assuming everyone is like that is just ignorant.
Ambition and greed are not the same thing. By definition, one who "gives back" is not greedy.

I never claimed anyone was "like that" much less everyone.

Also, "playing by the rules" does not absolve one from being greedy.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:46 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,288,713 times
He is attacking the system that gave him all that money to pay for those hamburgers. hypocrisy at its best

Old 08-31-2009, 12:47 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
What's "Free Republic"?

So where HAVE they been promoting it? I'm talking about real promotion, not blogs and giddy Mooreons chattering amongst themselves.

One way they have promoted it is by having a contest, in conjunction with the Onion A/V Club, in which you had to answer a few questions correctly after watching the trailer. The winner was (or will be, I don't know if a winner was announced yet) going to get $500 from Moore.

Michael Moore wants to give you $500 | Film | A.V. Club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies