Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I agree with you completely, and it seems like we are finally getting to the point I want to make. While you are right, there is nothing wrong (in a legal sense) with this. I love you analogy, and just as there is nothing illegal about being an alcoholic, I believe there should be nothing illegal about being greedy (both things I do not like). If you were not approaching this issue from a legal point of view, I apologize, but that is where I immediately start when I am in the politics forum.
I agree. As we (should have) learned from Prohibition, vices cannot be legislated against.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:54 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Telling an incomplete truth is lying by omission. That's Moore's modus operandi.

If you're a believer, I don't expect you to change your mind. The time for that has long past. I just didn't think there were any of you left, that's all.

His last movie was a complete flop, because after F9/11 was so severely debunked, he lost all credibility. Now, apparently, his next movie won't even go into wide release - doesn't that tell you something?
I guess if you make stuff up (you, not Moore), then you'll believe anything.

Again: NOTHING in "F/911" "Sicko" or "Roger & Me" has ever been disporven:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/warroom/f911facts/

"9/11 Commission Report Confirms Key Fahrenheit 9/11 Facts

For Immediate Release
August 2, 2004"

http://www.michaelmoore.com/sicko/checkup/

'SiCKO' Factual Backup"

http://www.michaelmoore.com/dogeatdogfilms/rogerme.html

Notice I did not include "Bowling For Columbine" in that group.

Facts are correct, but there is also much speculation.

Last edited by Geechie North; 08-31-2009 at 01:02 PM..

Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Consent Withdrawn View Post
Wrong. He paid for medical expenses for one of his biggest critics.
Ohhhh... I'm SO glad you brought this up. By the way, it was the wife of the critic that had the condition, not the critic himself. I was/am a member of the website in question, and I was active on that site when this all went down.

Moore donated that money anonymously. The owner of the site thanked the anonymous donor profusely, but had reservations about the generous gift. He even considered that it might be Moore himself.

He learned the truth after the movie came out, and it was revealed that Moore had used his wife's illness to make him look like a gracious man.

The money certainly was appreciated, regardless of motive, but for Michael Moore, paying $10k to (in his mind) diffuse the argument of his most potent critic is quite the bargain. While I don't think that Moore would actually wish harm to his critics, I seriously doubt that charity was his true intent. If it were, he would have left it as an anonymous donation and he certainly wouldn't have used it in his movie.

Moore, by using Donna's illness for his own financial gain, has to be one of the most despicable people ever to be in the public eye.

Here - why don't you just get the WHOLE story directly from the horse's mouth...

This is an extremely good example of how Moore twists and distorts facts, and also outright LIES.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Ohhhh... I'm SO glad you brought this up. By the way, it was the wife of the critic that had the condition, not the critic himself. I was/am a member of the website in question, and I was active on that site when this all went down.

Moore donated that money anonymously. The owner of the site thanked the anonymous donor profusely, but had reservations about the generous gift. He even considered that it might be Moore himself.

He learned the truth after the movie came out, and it was revealed that Moore had used his wife's illness to make him look like a gracious man.

The money certainly was appreciated, regardless of motive, but for Michael Moore, paying $10k to (in his mind) diffuse the argument of his most potent critic is quite the bargain. While I don't think that Moore would actually wish harm to his critics, I seriously doubt that charity was his true intent. If it were, he would have left it as an anonymous donation and he certainly wouldn't have used it in his movie.

Moore, by using Donna's illness for his own financial gain, has to be one of the most despicable people ever to be in the public eye.

Here - why don't you just get the WHOLE story directly from the horse's mouth...

This is an extremely good example of how Moore twists and distorts facts, and also outright LIES.
Your site (which has been proven to lie, itself) presents ZERO to refute Moore's documentaries, it only has personal attacks on Moore!

How typical...............

Old 08-31-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
Ambition and greed are not the same thing. By definition, one who "gives back" is not greedy.
Glad to hear you say that.

Wal-Mart gives more to charity - Forbes.com (http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2008/02/25/afx4693102.html - broken link)

Old 08-31-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
I guess if you make stuff up (you, not Moore), then you'll believe anything.

Again: NOTHING in "F/911" "Sicko" or "Roger & Me" has ever been disporven:

MichaelMoore.com : Archive

"9/11 Commission Report Confirms Key Fahrenheit 9/11 Facts

For Immediate Release
August 2, 2004"

MichaelMoore.com : SiCKO : Checkup on the Facts

'SiCKO' Factual Backup"

Roger & Me

Notice I did not include "Bowling For Columbine" in that group.

Facts are correct, but there is also much speculation.

Look, I've been looking into Moore and his lies for the better part of this decade. He's a liar. A very smart, creative liar, but a liar nonetheless. His use of "creative" editing techniques and lying by omission are very, very well documented. He has zero credibility with any reasonable, objective person.

If someone agrees with his endgame, and doesn't care how it's reached, then that's a different story of course. Some people don't care about the facts or how an objective is attained. If you're one of those people, then of course you're going to defend him at all costs. I understand this - I've been "talking" with people like that for a lot of years, very specifically about Michael Moore. One thing that's consistent with almost every single one of them is that when it comes down to it, they can't handle dealing with the truth. They agree with his agenda, so nothing else matters. The few that do care about the facts were easily convinced of his lies, and rightly reduced their opinion of him to where it should be - the gutter.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:21 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:

Yeah, the whole story. No slant there at all.

An acronym isn't going to cut it...I am

ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING MY A** OFF...

...At you, for thinking that is the "whole story" = the truth.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:25 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,167 times
[quote=TristansMommy;10533969]Michael Moore is simply attacking the GREED of corporations..

What would you have in place of cororations?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Your site (which has been proven to lie, itself) presents ZERO to refute Moore's documentaries, it only has personal attacks on Moore!

How typical...............
What's typical is that you're making claims that are completely unfounded and absolutely baseless, without ever actually reading the material presented on the site itself. Unless you've been perusing that site for years, there's no way you could possibly be familiar with all the information presented there.

Yes, very typical indeed.

BTW, the particular article I linked to describes completely and in full detail every aspect of the donation, their financial situation and Moore's use of it all in his movie. Did you even read just the one article? I'm guessing not.

Very, very typical.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Look, I've been looking into Moore and his lies for the better part of this decade. He's a liar. A very smart, creative liar, but a liar nonetheless. His use of "creative" editing techniques and lying by omission are very, very well documented. He has zero credibility with any reasonable, objective person.

If someone agrees with his endgame, and doesn't care how it's reached, then that's a different story of course. Some people don't care about the facts or how an objective is attained. If you're one of those people, then of course you're going to defend him at all costs. I understand this - I've been "talking" with people like that for a lot of years, very specifically about Michael Moore. One thing that's consistent with almost every single one of them is that when it comes down to it, they can't handle dealing with the truth. They agree with his agenda, so nothing else matters. The few that do care about the facts were easily convinced of his lies, and rightly reduced their opinion of him to where it should be - the gutter.
I see you have ZERO facts to support what you say.

Again, typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies