Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,800,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Here's the Greek. Have at it!

NETBible: 1 Timothy 4
That is just it.
Only those who think they understand a book; that contradicts itself on every issue, has as many meanings as translations, and is loaded with hatred and violence, will get to heaven?
The only path to heaven is to believe and accept what translation, denomination, or twisted logic?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 AM

674 posts, read 1,619,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Actually, I hate religion. The guy is a freaking charlatan and I can't believe some people truly believe that there is only one way and everybody who does not follow "my way" is not going to make it. Religion is truly for the ignorant masses.

Really. The religious who are suppose to be the more accepting and loving are usually the opposite.
And everyone perceives religion differently. I don't perceive at all that "God hates some people" like the turd who filled his sermon with Obama hate. Nor do I perceive a petty divinity who sees everything as "my way or the highway". Different culture perceive the statement "I am the way, the truth, the life". I am is often used as a description for consciousness, the core perception of life, I am, that is awareness.

The bible is really the words of Jesus's disciples. If the Christian-talibani's follow only the bible blindly, they don't really follow the words of Jesus - but they follow the ideas of John, Paul, Matthew and so on who were ordinary people who received a teaching. If you extract only the comments by Jesus that has been preserved in the bible from witness accounts, there's only a few pages worth.

Its no different than all these muslim mullahs who interpret everything their way, often in complete contradiction to some of the very claims in their books! They also think of themselves having greater knowledge, so they keep removing and adding passages and have done so for centuries. That may be a reason why their own religious books constantly contradict itself.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:27 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Isn't it interesting how many weird people in the news have weird names?

Jack Van Impe, indeed.

Not to mention Shulameth Firestone, Adolph Schickelgruber, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and Squeaky Fromme.

How many others can we think of?

Yeledaf?

Old 09-01-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
Really. The religious who are suppose to be the more accepting and loving are usually the opposite.
And everyone perceives religion differently. I don't perceive at all that "God hates some people" like the turd who filled his sermon with Obama hate. Nor do I perceive a petty divinity who sees everything as "my way or the highway". Different culture perceive the statement "I am the way, the truth, the life". I am is often used as a description for consciousness, the core perception of life, I am, that is awareness.

The bible is really the words of Jesus's disciples. If the Christian-talibani's follow only the bible blindly, they don't really follow the words of Jesus - but they follow the ideas of John, Paul, Matthew and so on who were ordinary people who received a teaching. If you extract only the comments by Jesus that has been preserved in the bible from witness accounts, there's only a few pages worth.

Its no different than all these muslim mullahs who interpret everything their way, often in complete contradiction to some of the very claims in their books! They also think of themselves having greater knowledge, so they keep removing and adding passages and have done so for centuries. That may be a reason why their own religious books constantly contradict itself.

Dead Sea Scrolls.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm all for live and let live. But I don't think that that is what Mr Van Impe is doing when he is questioning Obama's beliefs because they differ from his or your or Aero's. You cannot, on the one hand, say "allow Christians to believe as they do without criticism", and then criticise another Christian for not believing exactly as you do. Obama believes that the power of Jesus Christ can penetrate the dogmas of other religions. Obama believes that if Jesus Christ accepts murderers and thieves into heaven, then he would not shun the souls of children who never heard the name of Jesus Christ. As long as they have felt the love of Jesus Christ, and accepted that love, they don't need to utter words of devotion or wear crosses around their necks. They don't have to submit to ceremonies of blood. Why would a god love unconditionally, and yet deny heaven to the blameless? That is illogical.

You're running in circles when it's all very simple. A Christian is defined as such specifically because of what he or she believes. Our faith is based on the preserved word of God in the Bible. With that (Isaiaha, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Daniel, etc.) we understand that the Messiah can only be the person of Jesus Christ. History confirms that what was written is true (see 70 weeks of Daniel, see WW2/Holocaust/Hitler, see Six-day War). When one comes to fully understand the extent to which what a Christian believes is confirmed by history and continues to be revealed on a daily basis, the rest is put into its proper place. To believe in Mohamed and Islam the prophesies of Messiah have to be discarded along with the Gospel and the historical account that confirms that Jesus alone is God's messenger. The same holds true for all other faiths. Only one person can be God's Messiah. That person is Jesus Christ.

THE 70 WEEKS OF DANIEL

NETBible: John 1

Old 09-01-2009, 03:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
You do understand how it is a moral issue?

On the one hand you have healthcare provided to every person regardless of their ability to pay or other criteria.

On the other hand you are denying healthcare to people.

Is it moral to deny healthcare to a person, based on any criteria, when that person's well-being hangs in the balance?
You do understand that stealing from one person to give to another is immoral?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,320,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yeledaf?
Ya got me.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:10 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You do understand that stealing from one person to give to another is immoral?
I'm sorry, providing care to another human being whose health or life is in jeopardy is stealing????

Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, providing care to another human being whose health or life is in jeopardy is stealing????
v

If I, or most Americans, believed for a moment that the U.S. government is promoting UHC for moral purposes, for that moment we may agree. However, throughout time governments have done things based on politics and not any innate sense of morality. Intelligent Americans know this and won't be swayed by a government whose god is politics and power.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:32 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,818,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Hilarious! I was watching his show last night and that charlatan Jack Van Impe questioned Obama's faith. He basically stated that Obama cannot be a Christian because he believes that there is more than one path to Heaven. According to Jack, any true Christian knows and understands that Jesus Christ is the ONLY way to Heaven.
aaaaaaand............................. Where do you think the term "Christian" comes from? Me thinks one might be in over his head on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies