Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you going to take the Govt funded Medicare?
Yes, of course 11 50.00%
No, I refuse 7 31.82%
Other 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:17 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,211 times

Advertisements

will you be turning down medicare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 07:31 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
It is getting tiresome listening to the constant comparison of UHC to Medicare. Is that all you liberals have in your ammunition closet?

Medicare legislation, in conjunction with Social Security, was written to take care of the elderly and the disabled after the prime working years. It was legislation that was needed to ensure that the elderly didn't descend into poverty as a function of getting old.

UHC, on the other hand, is a function of a marketplace that hasn't served every American equitably, and the entitlement mentality in America that everyone deserves health insurance. The elderly and the disabled deserve coverage in their twilight years. The young/working folks don't deserve anything.

Apples and oranges.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:32 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Hmmmm....where has all that money taken from my paycheck been going?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM

Not really

If you read many of the posts, people oppose ANY govt run health care. So, if that is the case, I expect most of them to be admitting they will turn down medicare.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I have argued for and supported the concept of a government based Universal Health Care system for over 50 years.

Rationing health care to only people that can afford it is simply a despicable way to operate a society or a country. It is morally and ethically WRONG.

Opposing government Health Care is a complete reversal of the adage about "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

Opposing UHC is just saying, "I've got mine and to H*** with you." Complete selfishness in action.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:57 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times
I don't know why anyone who questions the current plan on the table is automatically labeled a heartless b astard.

What about those of us that recognize reform is necessary yet question the advisability of rushing a plan - any plan - through? Something of this enormity needs to be planned, checked, debated and debated again. Passing any bill just so we can say 'Ha, change!' is so short sighted.
Look, we rushed through OKing the war in Iraq - just how did that turn out for us? I am immediately on guard when a salesmen tries to hurry my decision making process with veiled threats of 'I can only offer this right now' etc... It makes me think they are trying to pull a fast one. And they are. Why should I voluntarily shelve my critical thinking skills because politicians are telling me that this offer is only good for a limited time?

As we all know, once a law/program is put into effect there is no stopping it or changing it even if it sucks. I suppose the old adage of jumping from the frying pan into the fire comes to mind.....

Old 08-31-2009, 08:10 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
Not really

If you read many of the posts, people oppose ANY govt run health care. So, if that is the case, I expect most of them to be admitting they will turn down medicare.

I am paying for it, if I could opt out and not continue paying for it I certainly would.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I am paying for it, if I could opt out and not continue paying for it I certainly would.
and when your old and sick and cant pay for your care, then what?

Just go to the ER which we pay for as well?

Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,150,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
What about those of us that recognize reform is necessary yet question the advisability of rushing a plan - any plan - through?
The Republicans have been using every trick in the book to avoid reform since at least 1992, with no better solutions on the table.

I'd hardly call that "rushing".....

Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,314,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Hmmmm....where has all that money taken from my paycheck been going?

Liberals do not understand the most people on medicare have EARNED AND PAID for their care.

All the loons want is something for free and not have to earn it.

Get a damn and pay for your own health care like most of us do.

Op- if this scambill passes will you finally get a job and pay for your healthcare? Or will you be collecting government welfare your entire life and sucking off the rest of us who have paid for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies