Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 05:30 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
They tried that once and got their asses kicked. Maybe you didn't notice?
Odd that no one said anything when North Carolina seceded ... and if the Confederacy hadn't fired the first shots at Fort Sumter, there never would have been a war in the first place. The Confederacy would be standing, even to this day.

The Union was intended to be perpetual, this is true, but the power by force of arms to compel a State to remain in the Union is not among the enumerated powers granted to Congress.

The only way that Congress can go to war with seceded states, is if those seceded states start the hostilities themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Odd that no one said anything when North Carolina seceded ... and if the Confederacy hadn't fired the first shots at Fort Sumter, there never would have been a war in the first place. The Confederacy would be standing, even to this day.

The Union was intended to be perpetual, this is true, but the power by force of arms to compel a State to remain in the Union is not among the enumerated powers granted to Congress.

The only way that Congress can go to war with seceded states, is if those seceded states start the hostilities themselves.
Tell that to the Davidians. You live in a real fantasy land.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:35 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
What's left of our country?
Could someone elaborate on that one? Because I still have the same freedoms I did 50+ years ago. You guys aren't suggesting we go back to the 1700's are you? Please tell the forum here what rights you have been stripped of. And, people who are in prison need not reply.
20 states huh? Those wouldn't have republican governors now would they?

Oh, my hat's off to the op. You're correct. If the republican party continues acting like a bunch of brats without brains, they'll have to wait till 2016, and by then, Michelle will be running for prez like hillary did. She's got my vote.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:42 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Tell that to the Davidians. You live in a real fantasy land.
I sure would if in fact the Davidians were considered a state in the union

Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,062,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I sure would if in fact the Davidians were considered a state in the union
I'm not sure whom you think will secede, but most states that were part of the original South have affirmed that secession is not legal.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,278,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Chris Matthews Slams GOP Governor Rick Perry For Starting New Secessionist Group: "Ignorance Of These People Is Unbelievable" (VIDEO)

Thanks, Governor Perry! Another nail in the Republican coffin.

This party just spins further and further out of control. Pitiful.
Who cares? Republicans, Democrats, just two sides of the same coin. I don't really believe that Perry is serious about supporting a secessionist movement because he is just a typical cowardly politician. But if he is willing to fake it then that makes him at least marginally better than the other candidates for governor.

I personally will support any candidate for governor who endorses the right of states to secede, even if I know that its just lip service.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:34 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
The GOP in Texas are acting like spoiled brat children. The GOP loses one national election, and now they insist on talking about "secession." This is truly going to help their case in front of independents across the country.

What we're seeing today in Texas is the realization, for some reason very late in arriving, of what are the negative political consequences for the national GOP of the actions of the Geo. W. Bush Administration.
The GOP has lost elections before this, and no talk of secession. It's losing freedoms, growing federal government, and the redistribution of wealth that is driving this movement.

I'm planning on moving to Texas in the very near future. I'm currently living in CA, and can't take it any more. The environmentalists, unions, politicians and educators have made this state impossible to survive anymore. I look forward to living in a state that thinks I know best how to live my own life.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why would you think that? You do know Texas pays out more than it receives in federal funding.

I'm voting for Medina. Perry is a fraud. What little respect I had for Hutchison left when she sold out by voting for the bailout.
Texas gets back very close to what it sends ($.92 for every dollar), and, if you factor in how much is spent by the fed/ DOD on Ft. Bliss ($4.8 BILLION for development), etc., Texas gets a heck of a lot more than it puts in.

It is reported that Ft. Bliss alone pumped over a billion dollars into the El Paso area economy in 2007 - seems to me that Texas might want to remember how much of its economy is based on the work of federal employees.

Old 09-01-2009, 09:38 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
These right-wing nutjobs are like a bunch of toddlers. Screaming, stamping their feet, threatening to leave. The whole world watches in fascination. And they've been doing it before Obama was even President! Man, it's fascinating to watch how deep racism runs.
"right wing nutjobs"

So do you feel the same about leftists appointed by Barak Obama who praise Hugo Chavez for shutting down all forms of communications that disagree with him?

Because Mark Lloyd is clearly on record as being opposed to free speach and in favor of shutting down radio stations that dont agree with him.

is he a "left wing nut job"?

and if so, is Barak Obama a left wing nut job for supporting this kind of action by a government official?

Old 09-01-2009, 10:03 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
I don't think there will be any actual moves towards secession. I believe they are doing this as a form of protest. Only my opinion since I don't know their true motives. This has nothing to do with being bitter over losing an election-was there such intense protesting after any other GOP president loss? No, the country has been in decline for some time thanks in part to Bush and now Obama is making it considerably worse. The amount of debt we're taking on is staggering and on top of this Obama wants to shove this unpopular healthcare reform down our throats. And on top of this the administration is taking on absolutely authoritarian attributes in it's maneuvering to control right wing media.

On another note you leftists are pathetic...blaming all this on supposed racism. It's like you're completely devoid of any rational arguments so you have nothing to cling to except for the fact that the President happens to be a black man. There are many black people that support the ideals of freedom-remember the gentleman that had the assault rifle at the Arizona Presidential rally? Whether or not it was a good idea to do so, he was a black man that stuck up for himself against the tyranny of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies