Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 02:51 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,074,281 times

Advertisements

After 18 kids, this one will probably just slide out. Kind of like going down a slip and slide for the little guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Had these people been any other race (but especially had they been Black or Hispanic) there would be all sorts of racist rants, demands to see tax returns and calls for "welfare" reform on this thread despite the parents ability to pay for the 19 children unassisted by the gov't.
This is not a issue of race. This is not an issue of welfare. This is about the Duggar family. They are not any other race and they are not on welfare so all hypothetical assumptions about what would be said if they were is off-topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
It's very sad that you think obedient children are odd these days.
I'm not sure about your household, but here (and we don't have 19 kids) children do not tell their parents what they will and won't do. I suspect it is the same in the Duggar household. A few times, when the kids were younger, we may have heard an occasional "I don't want to_______." to which I would reply, "I didn't ask if you wanted to________. I told you to do ________." They figured it out pretty quick.
It's very sad that you can't read. I've never seen a child that didn't rebel against what their parents wanted even once; rather it's saying you don't want to, rolling your eyes, pouting, whatever. I did what my mom expected me to do too but there were times where I mumbled and grumbled a lot because what she wanted me to do wasn't what I wanted to do. From the few episodes I've seen the kids don't seem to express "I want" or "I don't want" they just kinda do what's expected of them. .

Old 09-02-2009, 03:10 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk99 View Post
I see latina moms strolling around their 3, 4, even 5 kids all the time yet no one bats an eyelid. Its only a problem when whites do it apparently.
so 5=19?

Old 09-02-2009, 03:46 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampaguita View Post
BINGO on your first point...and so forth.

I think why they get so much more support than other "reality" stories is that they don't have the obvious drama of J & K plus 8 or the wacko factor of Octomom.

I do find the whole trend of parents parading their lives and children in front of TV cameras for a show totally distasteful.

I agree....

Old 09-02-2009, 05:57 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
what does that have to do with the duggar family?

how do you know this? Do you go up to black women and say "excuse me I see that you have 6 kids here...do they all have different fathers? Really? And they're all in prison, correct?" I know A LOT of black women and not ONE of them fit into the little box that you painted. If you know A LOT of them it's probably because you are one one of them so you should probably pull your head out of where ever it is and stop trying to make this a racist issue when it's not.
How do I know? Because I'm an RN who worked on a postpartum floor of a major medical center that served minority populations, and one of my best friends worked in the NICU. That's how I know. HUGE number of black mothers had multiple children at home, a new baby, and none of the children shared a father. Fathers didn't come visit because they were in the pen.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,062,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
It's very sad that you can't read. I've never seen a child that didn't rebel against what their parents wanted even once; rather it's saying you don't want to, rolling your eyes, pouting, whatever. I did what my mom expected me to do too but there were times where I mumbled and grumbled a lot because what she wanted me to do wasn't what I wanted to do. From the few episodes I've seen the kids don't seem to express "I want" or "I don't want" they just kinda do what's expected of them. .
LOL...you are so young and naive. It wasn't that long ago that a rolling your eyes at your parents was NOT normal behavior for most ANY child. Pouting....yeah, right. Kids who pouted got sent to bed without dinner or assigned extra chores....that pretty much ends the pouting. Not to say that such things never happened but they weren't tolerated or acceptable. Parents now days are pansies and so we have kids who roll their eyes, pout, grumble a lot and think what they want really matters and folks like you, who think that is normal behavior for kids. If you don't tolerate it from the start then it never becomes normal for your child. By the time my kids were 3-4 they also never said "I want" or "I don't want". It just wasn't part of our vocabulary. You wanna guess how many times they've rolled their eyes at me??

Also, I have seen episodes where one or the other parent had to quietly take a child aside for a brief 'conversation'. I expect discipline issues in general are handled off camera. Just because you didn't see it on the show doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've also never seen them use the toilet or shower but I'm pretty sure they do that too.

Old 09-02-2009, 06:34 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,667,610 times
I can't wait for the reactions when same-sex couples break records having children - either by hiring surrogate women (if it's a male couple) or visiting sperm banks (if it's a female couple).

Old 09-02-2009, 08:00 PM

200 posts, read 131,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'll comment on whatever I like, family business be damned.

It's very telling that you equate stating facts with crying and acting like a child.

What facts did you state? Please show us. Only thing I saw was your hateful opinion.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
LOL...you are so young and naive. It wasn't that long ago that a rolling your eyes at your parents was NOT normal behavior for most ANY child. Pouting....yeah, right. Kids who pouted got sent to bed without dinner or assigned extra chores....that pretty much ends the pouting. Not to say that such things never happened but they weren't tolerated or acceptable. Parents now days are pansies and so we have kids who roll their eyes, pout, grumble a lot and think what they want really matters and folks like you, who think that is normal behavior for kids. If you don't tolerate it from the start then it never becomes normal for your child. By the time my kids were 3-4 they also never said "I want" or "I don't want". It just wasn't part of our vocabulary. You wanna guess how many times they've rolled their eyes at me??

Also, I have seen episodes where one or the other parent had to quietly take a child aside for a brief 'conversation'. I expect discipline issues in general are handled off camera. Just because you didn't see it on the show doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've also never seen them use the toilet or shower but I'm pretty sure they do that too.

+100 on this comment. I think you've let in some fresh air on this topic.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:34 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoned View Post
welp, jesus always said to live long and have as many kids as you can. God has blessed me with 5 children so far and we are workin on about 7 more within the next 6 years. We got to build our army for god.
your army for God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies