Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 06:54 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,621,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Unfortunately, you and I are in the minority. Most people say they want less government in our lives, but they don't really mean it.

I see more hypocrisy in the Republican Party when it comes to "less government". They may show signs of wanting less government in our economic lives, but they sure as hell want to regulate our personal lives - especially when it comes to anything associated with physical pleasures (sex, drugs, etc.).
Actually, forcing the states to recognize the gay marriages from other states would be a new federal intrusion, and one that is justifiably feared.

The left makes false assertions when it states that not recognizing gay marriages is "regulating our private lives". In fact, the left is asking for yet another government action, an action that millenia of governance has never "officially sanctioned".

Suddenly, you yell "government intrusion!!!!!" -------a blatantly false assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 06:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,629,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Actually, forcing the states to recognize the gay marriages from other states would be a new federal intrusion, and one that is justifiably feared.
Vermont's law doesn't force any states to recognize their marriages. But even if all of the states were required to recognize each others' marriages, I wouldn't have any problem with that. In Loving v. Virginia, the U.S. Supreme Court basically forced all of the states to recognize interracial marriage. I guess you would have been against that too.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM

30,030 posts, read 18,605,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The things you mentioned just don't bother me that much. Sorry. It's the intrusions on personal freedoms that bother me more than the economic ones. That's just me. You're just you. It takes all kinds to make up the world.
Yes me too. Like monitoring private emails, sending SS troops to kill US citizens (Ruby Ridge and Waco), perversion of eminent domain to confiscate property from one citizen to sell to another, suppression of first amendment rights by sending thugs to silence opposition, opposing the second amendment, "fairness doctrine", ect...........

Conservatives believe that the rights of the individual supercede the rights of the state

Liberal believe that the rights of the state supercede those of the individual.

If you feel strongly about personal liberty, and not the belief that the state is supreme, you are either a conservative or a libertarian. If you really like big government and the supremecy of the state, you are a liberal.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes me too. Like monitoring private emails, sending SS troops to kill US citizens (Ruby Ridge and Waco), perversion of eminent domain to confiscate property from one citizen to sell to another, suppression of first amendment rights by sending thugs to silence opposition, opposing the second amendment, "fairness doctrine", ect...........

Conservatives believe that the rights of the individual supercede the rights of the state

Liberal believe that the rights of the state supercede those of the individual.

If you feel strongly about personal liberty, and not the belief that the state is supreme, you are either a conservative or a libertarian. If you really like big government and the supremecy of the state, you are a liberal.
I don't agree with you, and it's not that simple to me.

It's not liberals who have opposed civil rights for minorities, whether it's been same-sex marriage, voting rights for women, or the right for anyone to be allowed to sit in the front of a bus.

It's not liberals who push the War On Drugs or who advocate greater penalties for drug offenders.

It wasn't a liberal who proposed an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to ban same-sex marriage.

It's not liberal administrations who prosecute adult movie producers for "obscenity".

It's not liberals who push abstinence-only programs on public schools.

It wasn't a liberal Congress that made internet gambling illegal.

And it's not liberals who believe that creationism should be taught alongside evolution in science classes.

Again, you've got your priorities, and I've got mine. When it comes to freedoms associated with personal behaviors and beliefs, the Democratic Party is the more libertarian party.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:10 PM

200 posts, read 131,093 times
Gross. More throwing God out of american society. I feel sorry for all the normal people in vermont. Hey! Thats mass,and vermont only ones let are new hampshire,maine and conneticut and they can get their own country!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,642,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If Vermont is struck by a meteor, a tidal wave that wipes out the state, or is attacked by the stay puft marshmellow man tomorrow, I'll buy the argument that God is against Gay marriage.
I've been up here in Vermont the past 3 days and NOTHING is any different. My town has many inns which cater to weddings and civil unions and there is no increase in homosexual couples or decrease in heterosexual ones.

Old 09-03-2009, 04:44 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,346,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
But it is okay for the government to levy whatever personal income tax levels they want on citizens, export all our jobs overseas (you guys should have voted for Perot), send thugs to break up public meetings, have personal emails sent to the whitehouse, nationalize the banking and auto industry, and form a civilian army?

Gay marriage- great diversion. I wonder if Soros thought that one up as well.
Is this the latest Republican argument?

I hadn't heard this one yet, but now I'm hearing it more and more often. These are "not that important" for us to worry about now?

It was just last year that Republicans in congress were talking about "under God" in the pledge of allegience. I didn't really care about that, but they felt it was important. They stand in front of congress and praise countless people for their "good deeds". I'm all for praising someone when they do a good job, but don't congressmen and women have better things to do than gloat about how good people are?

Lots of other time wasted on non important issues, by both parties. However, this was a civil rights issue, and I believe it should have been brought up. Vermont isn't my state though, and if people from their state are upset congress spent so much time on a civil rights issue, they are welcome to change that practice.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Is this the latest Republican argument?

I hadn't heard this one yet, but now I'm hearing it more and more often. These are "not that important" for us to worry about now?
Man, I was just thinking the very same thing. Over and over again, it's "Doesn't the country have more important things to worry about?", as if allowing same-sex couples to get married is going to make it so much more difficult for the states to conduct their everyday business. Yeah, right. It's just more of the same crap. I'm old enough to know that people have used that line whenever they want to stop anything. They don't have any good arguments left, so they just carp about how it's "not the right time" to do it. The truth: It's NEVER a good time, as far as they're concerned.

I was just reading another website where someone was talking about his hopes for advancements in American technology, and some bozo replied, "Doesn't the country have more important things to worry about?"

Old 09-03-2009, 07:56 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,650,302 times
if there are more important things to worry about, then maybe people who are anti gay marriage shouldn't be wasting their time pushing for amendments to state and national constitutions banning it.

"our legislators have more important things to worry about than giving people equal rights. like for instance denying them those equal rights."

Old 09-06-2009, 10:05 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,686,810 times
Gay marriage is wrong because children might be led to think that it is right and that would clearly be wrong. Whats next? Lets get married to my Dog! Or my Pink bird!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
You're wrong. Gay marriage is also about love, just like straight marriage. Thats what you people don't understand, they want to get married for the same reasons everyone else does, but you don't want to let them because ________.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies