Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 01:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

This is fascinating -- many misunderstandings and superstitions about the Fed's actions and intent cleared away. Please read or watch/listen.
The Fed chief took questions on a range of issues over the course of the town-hall style event, including the toughest moments of the financial crisis in the fall of 2008, missed steps in the subprime mortgage crisis, the impact of the stimulus and TARP programs, and the Fed's independence in establishing monetary policy.
On the Fed's current actions, Bernanke said the Fed is putting the "pedal to the metal" to support the economy and turn the corner toward growth.

Bernanke expressed particular opposition to a proposal in Congress for the Government Accounting Office to be able to "audit" the Fed's interest rate decisions.

"I don't think that's consistent with independence. I don't think the American people want Congress running monetary policy. That's exactly what (the bill) would do," he said.
video: Bernanke Reflects on Fed's Actions in Forum | Online NewsHour | July 27, 2009 | PBS

transcript: At Forum, Bernanke Defends Fed's Aggressive Moves | Online NewsHour | July 27, 2009 | PBS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Wouldn't believe anything that used car salesperson had to say.

YouTube - Bernanke in Denial 2005-2007

Old 09-01-2009, 01:47 PM

What did he say in the interview that you didnt believe?

Handy-dandy transcript

Old 09-01-2009, 01:53 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What did he say in the interview that you didnt believe?

Handy-dandy transcript
The implication that there was actually independence of Congress within the Federal Reserve.

He's never been right before, why would he start now?

Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM

His answer to this and other similar questions might interest some folks:
JANELLE SJUE: Hi, I'm Janelle Sjue, a Kansas City mother. I guess I have a couple short questions. First of all, we've given millions - hundreds of millions of dollars of tax money to these large corporations, these behemoths. Is that going to be enough to correct the situation?

And secondly, you know, I'll use the analogy of nature. When a prairie fire burns through, it takes out all the big overgrowth and allows all the small stuff to pop up. Why don't we just let the behemoths lay down and then make room for the small businesses? Thank you.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
The implication that there was actually independence of Congress within the Federal Reserve.

He's never been right before, why would he start now?
what do you mean by "independence of Congress within..."?

Old 09-01-2009, 02:16 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
I find I actually like Benake as he is very direct and honest in his responses. PBS Frontline had a special sometime ago about the financial crisis which goes in great depth on the topic. Much of this info was discussed and explained. While the small businesses do have a great impact. allowing the behemoths to fail would make a great many small business bite the dirt. While it may be repulsive to spend these Billions the alternative is far worse. If you think the financial issue is bad now imagine 40% unemployment, can you guess what would happen to home foreclosures? banks? Car companies? the stock market?
While not the popular choice they are making the right one.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

An interesting opinion from last March: Too-big-to-fail solution? Create bigger companies

Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM

BEN BERNANKE: What we need is a system where the government can say, this [too big to fail] firm is about to fail, we can't let it just fail, but we've got to - we don't want - also we don't want to prop it up either. We need an alternative between bailout and bankruptcy, and that alternative is a system where the government can come in and seize the firm and then unwind it in an orderly way, sell off the assets, and do that in a way that does not cause chaos in the financial markets.

We have a system like that already. Right now the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, whenever a small bank or medium-sized bank is about to fail, it can come in before it fails, grab it, sell off assets, pay off the depositors, and this all happens without causing a huge problem in the financial market. That's what we need. And I agree with everyone here, too big to fail is a terrible situation. We've got to fix that. And I think that's the top priority for policy going forward.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Hey, what can you expect from someone who has admitted that he and his wife have been victims of idenity theft??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies