Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:30 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,404 times

Advertisements

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:42 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,064,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776.
According to the left, this is a radical point of view. They like the so-called "diversity" that we have in the WH as Czars.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
Quote:
Thanks- now I am craving a Sam Adams. And Im going to leave work to go get one.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,342 times
Quote:
"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

A lesson most Americans seem to have forgotten. No large government entity is good for the freedom of the individual. Once great power is given over to the government, you have effectively given up your right to govern yourselves in favor of letting them do it for you. That is not how this country was supposed to turn out but it has and currently, our government is pushing harder and harder everyday for more control over our lives. Please people, wake up and see this is not the country of your birth. And the more you feed the beast, the more it will take from you.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
I dont drink but if the libs keep it up im gonna need a samual adams....

Old 09-01-2009, 03:16 PM

Default Now here is one I know most of City Data needs to hear!

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost."

John Quincey Adams

And this is what I have been saying all along. I have been told time and time again that a third party vote is a wasted vote. But I have always contended that voting for your candidate because you think he is the right man/woman for the job is never a wasted vote, even if yours is the only one. Voting isn't about a popularity contest, and it isn't about using your vote on one of two people just so you get to feel like your vote counted. You are supposed to vote for the candidate you feel is right. So many CD users did the exact opposite, opting to vote for the other guy just because they could stand him a bit more than the other. That, my friends, is the truly wasted vote.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:22 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,010,059 times
Samuel Adams is also quoted:

"Mankind are governed more by their feelings than by reason."

I think that about sums it up.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Samuel Adams is also quoted:

"Mankind are governed more by their feelings than by reason."

I think that about sums it up.
Actually, I think this one really sums it all up.

"The storm of frenzy and faction must inevitably dash itself in vain against the unshaken rock of the Constitution."

Franklin Pierce

Our current administration and many before them have been trying their best to shake this rock free. Only the people stand in the way of this document becoming obsolete. We must fight for our freedom, not fight amongst one another. Constant feuding among the populace is a most useful tool to a hungry government. Because while we are busy arguing amongst ourselves, there is no one holding them in check.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:15 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
It is also should be noted that ole Sam Adams forcefully opposed Shay's Rebellion (you know, the armed protest against taxes), to the point of arguinga:

“Rebellion against a king may be pardoned, or lightly punished, but the man who dares to rebel against the laws of a republic ought to suffer death.”

God how I do love history when properly told.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:18 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Hey, I didn't mean for this thread to drop like a brick. My apologies to all those Sam Adams miss and out of context quotations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies