Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times

Advertisements

The yolk is fertilized inside the hen by rooster juice, and then gets a shell over it, and exits the hen. No rooster, no fertile egg. A fertile egg has a white spot on the yolk. The two curly weird things on the white part are to hold the yolk in the center.

This might 'splain it. Foreigners "cut to the chase" on these matters :

How a Hen Lays Her Egg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 10:12 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,938 times
Thanks Peggy Anne, I suffered reading through this whole thread just to figure out how an egg becomes either an egg we eat or one with a baby inside.

Side note on the skinning alive thing: While I bet there are sick people out there who get pleasure out of such things, it just doesn't seem logical or effecient to skin a cat or dog alive when you can just kill it first. At any rate, it's all gross, I hate that people view animals as disposable and not worthy of humane treatment. I need to work harder on getting farm fresh chicken eggs, I know we have them here, I just normally get the cage free organic ones from the store. I think I'm going to start looking for the kosher sign on all the meat we buy.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:20 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Ever seen a lion eat a zebra. that is far more cruel than the instand death these mail chicks have in that grinder.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:22 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Ever seen a lion eat a zebra. that is far more cruel than the instand death these mail chicks have in that grinder.
I really don't see how you can compare the natural order of things in the wild to what this thread is about. And no, I actually never watch the parts in nature shows where an animal is getting taken down, I don't like to watch suffering. However, to compare it, an animal in the wild who's very survival depends on it, to humans desire for it is laughable.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Hey Sandycat (and anyone else interested in avoiding the industry standards)
check out
Http://www.localharvest.org

it's easy to search for your items (like eggs) in any state.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,007,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
The lion eats to survive.
We humans eat everything just because we can. And the industry standards are deplorable. Truly, if people understood all of the details it would make them want to grow & raise their own...

Last edited by bellalunatic; 09-02-2009 at 10:35 AM..

Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Hey Sandycat (and anyone else interested in avoiding the industry standards)
check out
Http://www.localharvest.org

it's easy to search for your items (like eggs) in any state.
Hey, thanks for that link!

Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
The lion eats to survive.
We humans eat everything just because we can. And the industry standards are deplorable. Truly if people understood all of the details it would make them want to grow & raise their own...
"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
Immanual Kant

Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
The yolk is fertilized inside the hen by rooster juice, and then gets a shell over it, and exits the hen. No rooster, no fertile egg. A fertile egg has a white spot on the yolk. The two curly weird things on the white part are to hold the yolk in the center.

This might 'splain it. Foreigners "cut to the chase" on these matters :

How a Hen Lays Her Egg
Wait a minute --- are you saying that the white glop with the the twisty things are the fetus? That those eggs are fertilized? God, I hope not as every egg I have ever cracked has those things in it (which I fish out btw).

I was under the impression that if there were blood in the egg then that was how to tell a fertilized egg vs an unfertilzed one.

Oh and thanks for the 'crotch shot' of the hen - I didn't want to see my own children crown much less an egg!

Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,617,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Well, Mr. The chicks were not shipped to me during the hottest part of the year. Google Murray Mc Murray, and educate yourself. Or if you have the time, Google "shipping baby chicks." Having lived in a rural area, I could also buy chicks, and hens from neighbors, and feed stores. Every now and then, I wanted some hens that layed colored eggs. Yes, there are breeds that lay colored eggs.
I've had ridiculously good luck in the past with Murray McMurray chicks... I had several that ended up going Best of Breed and 3 different ones that went Best of Show in poultry shows. They're a wonderful company doing great things in the field of poultry genetics.

The multicolored egg layers are called Araucanas, also known as South American Rumpless chickens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies