Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2009, 08:18 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
But that's not all it's doing, is it?

Obviously those in the WH thought something was inappropriate, since they changed the wording a bit. Deconstructing his rhetoric and looking for ways to "help" him have nothing to do with staying in school and getting an education.
What? Now editing something so it can be digested by the ignorant masses is reason for PARANOIA? Oh my god, he changed the text, that must mean there's something sinister about! The text was revised to make things clearer, in other words, so the average American idiot could understand it.

I guess it's harder for Obama to be President than Bush since Obama has to constantly dumb down his speeches while Bush's speeches only needed to be transcribed from the original crayon version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 08:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
Really, people. You should protect your kids from this kind of state indoctrination. It's a slippery slope and next thing you know they're all wearing identical uniforms, sitting perfectly still in lectures, and pledging allegiance to the state before every day, like a bunch of little commies.

Wait...

Nevermind.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:27 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I can just see the phobes twisting every word, and nuance. If Obama says "god' they will insert "satan". If he says "responsibility" they will substitute "extreme government control." If he uses the term "a joyful tomorrow" they will see "a new Islamic America." However, if he promises every American a thousand dollars, they will hear that loud and clear.
He'd better not say "god". As to the rest of it, Obama needs to say things clearly, mean what he says and say what he means. The people are beginning to see that Obama doesn't use words with commonly understood meanings. His words mean something different. We are familiar with the words he uses, but not accustomed to the meanings they carry for him.

[quote=TigerLily24;10593496]Jason Linkins weighs in:

"Watching the speech will be an optional activity. You know... like so many other aspects of totalitarian regimes!"

Yes, the very young, the 4- 5- and 6-year olds really know how to make a decision on whether to watch it or not. They'll do what their friends do, and what the teacher recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
What? Now editing something so it can be digested by the ignorant masses is reason for PARANOIA? Oh my god, he changed the text, that must mean there's something sinister about! The text was revised to make things clearer, in other words, so the average American idiot could understand it.
See comments above about how Obama uses words. Words that come out of his mouth have double meaning. Kids won't know that.

Last edited by swbtoo; 09-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.. Reason: sp, add last sentence.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:32 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,035 times
^^^Yeah, like when he says "stay in school, kids!", what he really means is "join the insurrection against the international capitalism! Spill the blood of the industrialists!".

Old 09-03-2009, 08:38 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
See comments above about how Obama uses words. Words tat come out of his mouth have double meaning.
Every politician's words are intended to have certain meanings. That's why speeches are so labored over before they're used. Bush used 9/11 references thousands of times for the specific purpose or emotionally raping us (my view). Obama's use of certain words will be calculated, but, honestly, what is there to be afraid of? It's not like he's going to say something and the whole nation will go into convulsions or run off a cliff!

On the other hand, I do wholeheartedly believe that we are a brainwashed nation, a nation subjected to untold and unseen influences that equate to mind control. I don't think any other country comes close to our level of control. But the first step in removing yourself from this "barage of garbage" is to become conscious of what's around you. Question every phrase, every intention and assert your views above any others that don't come from within, from your reasoning mind and your feeling heart. No need to fear anything then.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
387 posts on something that hasn't even happened yet. I guess it would be too much to just wait until Tuesday and see what he actually says before you criticize.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,691,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Every politician's words are intended to have certain meanings. That's why speeches are so labored over before they're used. Bush used 9/11 references thousands of times for the specific purpose or emotionally raping us (my view). Obama's use of certain words will be calculated, but, honestly, what is there to be afraid of? It's not like he's going to say something and the whole nation will go into convulsions or run off a cliff!

they did - they elected Obama...for pete's sake, people had tingles run up their legs...

On the other hand, I do wholeheartedly believe that we are a brainwashed nation, a nation subjected to untold and unseen influences that equate to mind control. I don't think any other country comes close to our level of control. But the first step in removing yourself from this "barage of garbage" is to become conscious of what's around you. Question every phrase, every intention and assert your views above any others that don't come from within, from your reasoning mind and your feeling heart. No need to fear anything then.
No need to fear unless our freedom to speak and question is curbed. The more control, the less freedom -- in all areas.

I agree with you that we need to examine, analyze, question...look beyond the words and not infuse them with meanings we wish them to have. (bolded comment above, mine)

Old 09-03-2009, 09:17 PM

1,428 posts, read 3,161,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Really, I don't remember this kind of crap about Bush, on and on and frickin' on, 8 months into his presidency. We were talking about this on another thread today, as well.
My memory of that time is not perfect, but here's how I remember Bush being described by extreme left-wingers eight months into his presidency:

* Privileged daddy's boy
* Guy who graduated with "gentleman's C" (read: passed because Dad was influential)
* Lame duck
* Bumbling and kind've silly in a Gerald Ford way

Then 9/11 happened and everything changed, of course.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:19 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
It's not a new idea. Hitler used it first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I know there have been other times in the past
where televised programs were shown in the classroom. Big happenings, news, etc. I think it's kind of neat that the President is reaching out like this, since most kids don't have a clue about politics. It would be cool for them to see the President talking to THEM, although truthfully most of them will be bored and not pay attention anyway.

I also think it's entirely appropriate. If Obama chooses to do this then it becomes appropriate by default. With everything else going on during the school day, and dozens of things I consider inappropriate, this is definitely a bright spot.

Anyone freaking out about this can't be thinking clearly. Whether you voted for him or not it's a new idea, creative and innovative. I give it a thumbs up.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:31 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,860,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I wonder how many of these parents prohibit their kids from being in the room when the 6:00 news is on.
Well, considering what you hear from the media............................

Sounds like a good idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies