Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,196 times

Advertisements

What is President Obama going to tell your son to do?
1. Stay in school, study hard, get a good education, & to make something of himself.
What is President Obama going to ask your son to do?
1. To stay in school.
2. To study hard.
3. To not drop out of school.
4. To tell him he can be anything he wants to be; that he is living proof of that.

What are you so afraid he is going to tell him?? He is a parent just like you; he only wants the best for America's children. Why are you so afraid of President Obama? I think many, many of you need to look at your faces in the mirror & ask yourself this very question. Is it because he is biracial or is it because he wants the BEST for your child? The American people has got to stop the nonsense that is going on & start pulling together, or other nations are going to start shredding us to pieces. It is all of yours choices!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
The simple truth is, the White House screwed up with the initial program, and they (finally) had to admit it. And, their credibility was lost...

Patches don't work - And they are trying to patch up a mistake.

Here is a link to a CNN article that states this fact - So, even the liberal minded will have to acknowledge that this is fair reporting - Won't they?

Many conservatives enraged over Obama school speech - CNN.com

And read exactly what they write about this fiasco - Quote:

Some of the controversy surrounding Obama's speech stems from a proposed lesson plan created by the Education Department to accompany the address. An initial version of the plan recommended that students draft letters to themselves discussing "what they can do to help the president."

The letters "would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals," the plan stated.

After pressure from conservatives, the White House said that the plan was not artfully worded, and distributed a revised version encouraging students to write letters about how they can "achieve their short-term and long-term education goals."

They tried covering their butts by saying "it was not artfully worded"? Why not - "Boy, that was stupid of us, wasn't it?"

So, yes Bush and Reagan did speak to the schoolchildren...But, they did not recruit them, did they? Nor make them accountable for their goals (or lack of them).
You know, if you knew how President Obama goes to the bathroom, you would find something to even criticize him about how he does that & you know it!

Old 09-05-2009, 11:01 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon11 View Post
What is President Obama going to tell your son to do?
1. Stay in school, study hard, get a good education, & to make something of himself.
What is President Obama going to ask your son to do?
1. To stay in school.
2. To study hard.
3. To not drop out of school.
4. To tell him he can be anything he wants to be; that he is living proof of that.

What are you so afraid he is going to tell him?? He is a parent just like you; he only wants the best for America's children. Why are you so afraid of President Obama? I think many, many of you need to look at your faces in the mirror & ask yourself this very question. Is it because he is biracial or is it because he wants the BEST for your child? The American people has got to stop the nonsense that is going on & start pulling together, or other nations are going to start shredding us to pieces. It is all of yours choices!!!!
Do you need the President to tell your child not to drop out of school? Or is your household like mine and there would not have been a chance in HELL that your child would drop out of school? I know in my family, we were all expected to get college degrees. There was never any discussion about it. Same for my kids.

So do you need the President to tell your child to study hard? Your child doesn't already know that? You don't help your child with his/her homework? You don't attend PTA meetings? You don't encourage your child to excel?

Who is it who needs the President to tell their children to study hard and stay in school? You are incapable of relaying that message? His teachers and Principal and neighbors and friends can't relay this message - it takes the President?

Why is it every time someone disagrees with an Obama supporter, the race card gets pulled? I guess those of us who got upset with Bush got upset b/c he was white? Unbelievable. Pretty lame when all a person can do is fall back on race as the "reason" others disagree with a POLITICIAN - which is what Obama is. Almost every President has about as many people disagreeing with him as agreeing with him - look at opinion polls for the last 50 years! Yet now suddenly, those who disagree are all racists. How convenient a way to arrogantly dismiss anyone else's opinion. If you disagree with someone - fine! That is our right in this country. But slapping a label on others is stereotyping and it is presumptuous and judgmental - as well as patently unfair.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Goal setting knows know bounds. My husband is an Executive with an MBA and uses a similar method of goal setting for his professional and personal life. It's not just for people "at risk".
Well, the White House has clearly stated that the point of this speech is to encourage kids to stay in school. If you feel your children need to be told to set goals - then I hope they get a lot out of the speech. However, logic would tell us if a child is making decent grades and is engaged in his/her school work, then they ALREADY know how to set goals. They dont need Obama playing Tony Robbins to make them feel they have a reason to stay in school.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Exactly! These users keep trying to make out like this is the same thing Bush did. Visiting one school and reading children's books to them is a hell of a lot different than directly addressing the entire nation's K-6 graders. This is an attempt to indoctrinate these children. Once again, if this is an important message, then all Americans need to have access to it. We should not simply "trust" anyone to deliver special messages to our little ones. They don't have enough life experience to know when they are being manipulated. All he is trying to do is create a generation of "Obama Youth", who will sing the praises of a president they really know nothing about. They will be his little cheerleaders, praising his name without any real knowledge of his politics. How long before he starts asking them to join the "Jr. Spies" program? How long before the family unit is completely broken down and President Obama becomes their only real authority figure? How long before our children just aren't our children anymore? This sort of activity perpetrated by our government is scary ladies and gentlemen, and there is no sugar coating it. If he can't say to me what he wants to say to my kids, odds are this is not going to be your "typical" address.
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe how paranoid some parents are getting!

Old 09-06-2009, 01:33 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh, I cannot believe how paranoid some parents are getting!
They don't have functioning brains.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:36 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,949 times
Quote:

You best back up. It was Bush who screwed the country for 8 years. President Obama has been working his tail off for 8 months TRYING to undo just a FRACTION of the damage done in that 8 years!!! If you knew how President Obama went to the restroom, you know in your heart that you & all the other complainers would even criticize him for how he does that also! At this time, he couldn't please ANY of you, admit it!!!!
Obama was part of our US gov for quite some time. Senator and a state legislator before being "handed" a damaged gov. He hardly ever voted for/or against anything, abstained quite a bit though.
He is supposed to be a leader now, as apparently he was only a follower/observer before who could have made a difference, but abstained from it.
Interesting as the Dems chose him to lead now. No experience at leading and it is showing, that is why now he trying to lead our children

Old 09-06-2009, 06:16 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,042 times
Bush Sr. did it, Reagan did it. So what? He isn't going to tell kids to go home and tell their parents they want government controlled health care. He isn't going to tell kids to go home and ask mommy why she isn't sharing her money with poor people or have kids go into their parents wallets and start handing out money. He is probably going to tell them to stay in school, study hard, don't do drugs, listen to your parents, be good kids etc (things i would hope you are already telling your kids).

Hey kids, work hard and you can be whatever you want....yeah....such a terrible message. It's no wonder our kids are ranked so low when it comes to education in comparison to the rest of the world. Look at most of their parents.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:28 AM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
My kids will be allowed to watch the speech....you are 100% right...there is nothing bad about "try hard in school" and "don't do drugs" and "listen to your parents".....I'm not that crazy to go against Obama just because I strongly disagree with his politics and belief system. If I find ANYTHING questionable or offensive in his speech, this will be the end of my trusting him forever.

Old 09-06-2009, 06:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Obama was part of our US gov for quite some time. Senator and a state legislator before being "handed" a damaged gov. He hardly ever voted for/or against anything, abstained quite a bit though.
He is supposed to be a leader now, as apparently he was only a follower/observer before who could have made a difference, but abstained from it.
Interesting as the Dems chose him to lead now. No experience at leading and it is showing, that is why now he trying to lead our children
Aren't American children citizens?

Which citizens do you think Obama should devote all his attention to?

Children are "lead" from the time they're born...by their parents, TV, teachers, peers, movies, advertising.....children who watch TV are "lead"....is it the right direction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies