Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 08:14 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Funny ... I seem to remember a time, not so long ago, when critics of the president were called "unpatriotic".

My what selective standards some people have!
You're being waaaayyyyy too logical for many on this forum ... but not for me. Excellent post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 08:15 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,075,128 times
An "orientation" for the new Obama Youth? Little brown shirts as the new uniform?

This a perfect example for the privatization of schools.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM

243 posts, read 343,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
An "orientation" for the new Obama Youth? Little brown shirts as the new uniform?

This a perfect example for the privatization of schools.

WOW....care to clarify that statement?

Old 09-02-2009, 08:25 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,156 times
Some parents I talked to are keeping their kids out of school that day and one is sending her kid to school with a tape recorder.

My children are homeschooled by a couple of teachers who left the profession and also pulled their children out of the indoctrination/propaganda centers.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
Adults don't trust you either.
I see that you consider yourself to be an adult.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The Department of Education's homepage has the official information about this, but hopefully people won't let this information interfere with their runaway paranoia and conspiracy theories.

U.S. Department of Education Home Page
"The President will challenge students to work hard, set educational goals, and take responsibility for their learning. He will also call for a shared responsibility and commitment on the part of students, parents and educators to ensure that every child in every school receives the best education possible so they can compete in the global economy for good jobs and live rewarding and productive lives as American citizens."
Oh, yeah - that sounds awful ... hard work, take responsibility, best education, good jobs, rewarding and productive lives ... why in the world would we want to have our children hear any of that nonsense, eh?
You didn't dig very deep into the Department's blurb, I see.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:47 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,052,273 times
I agree with this sentiment:

In general, I don't think there's a problem if the president uses the bully pulpit to tell kids to work hard, study hard and things like that. But there are some troubling hints in this, both educationally and politically," said Neal McCluskey, associate director of Cato Institute's Center for Educational Freedom.
Among the concerns, McCluskey said, is the notion that students who do not support Obama or his educational policies will begin the school year "behind the eight ball," or somehow academically trailing their peers.
"It essentially tries to force kids to say the president and the presidency is inspiring, and that's very problematic," McCluskey said. "It's very concerning that you would do that."
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/02/critics-decry-obamas-lesson-plan-students/

Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It actually sounds like what a lot of these RWs talk about all the time!
I suggest that you go to that website of the Dept. of Social Education that Gene put up and go inside their little bits about what will be asked of PreK - 6 kids and of the the suggested activities for grades 7-12.

Boy is this program heroic since not one President before this man tried to do anything like this. Does he also hold a degree of some kind in childhood education?

Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The brainwashing starts early.
Best, most truthful post I have seen so far in this thread.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:58 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Does he also hold a degree of some kind in childhood education?
Ok, and here is the main point. NO. He has no formal teaching/training.

Other than some of the creepy language, it's essentially a lesson in goal setting. But the being "held accountible" and how you can help the president statements are crossing the line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies