Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2009, 09:55 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,478,195 times

Advertisements

Private, Public Health Plan Subscribers Rate Plans Similarly

"PRINCETON, NJ -- A Gallup analysis of historical data finds only a slight difference in how Americans with Medicaid or Medicare versus those with private insurance plans rate the quality of care they receive, and no difference in how the two groups rate their coverage.

According to the data, more than 8 in 10 Americans rate the quality of care they receive as excellent or good, regardless of the type of plan they have. Although slightly more privately insured individuals (87%) than Medicare or Medicaid recipients (82%) rate their quality of care as excellent or good, the percentage giving their plan an excellent rating is the same for both groups (38%)."

Since public insurance is just as good as private insurance, we just need to finally make it available for all..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post

"PRINCETON, NJ -- A Gallup analysis of historical data finds only a slight difference in how Americans with Medicaid or Medicare versus those with private insurance plans rate the quality of care they receive, and no difference in how the two groups rate their coverage.

According to the data, more than 8 in 10 Americans rate the quality of care they receive as excellent or good, regardless of the type of plan they have. Although slightly more privately insured individuals (87%) than Medicare or Medicaid recipients (82%) rate their quality of care as excellent or good, the percentage giving their plan an excellent rating is the same for both groups (38%)."

Since public insurance is just as good as private insurance, we just need to finally make it available for all..
Sure the care is the same......they're using the same doctors and facilities. The problem is providers get paid a lot less from the government than they do from private insurers, to the point where they rely on what they get from insurers to make up for what they don't get from the government. If it changes to only the government paying providers, how's that going to work....don't you think over time those quality ratings will drop. To stay in business providers are going to have to make cuts from what they're currently spending to operate....that means reducing staff among other things.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
Sure the care is the same......they're using the same doctors and facilities. The problem is providers get paid a lot less from the government than they do from private insurers, to the point where they rely on what they get from insurers to make up for what they don't get from the government. If it changes to only the government paying providers, how's that going to work....don't you think over time those quality ratings will drop. To stay in business providers are going to have to make cuts from what they're currently spending to operate....that means reducing staff among other things.
Providers are overpaid and abuse private insurers. Any honest person knows that. My dentist calls me once a week to do random shyt. Where do you get your "facts"? Nobody said it was going to change solely to the government paying providers. That's not being presented. If what you claim is correct, why wasn't that revealed in the poll? Respondents basically said that both were equal. Dr's who accept medicare aren't going out of business. With the U.S. already having a form of "socialized care" you point carries very little validity.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:

So because people OVER 65 think the plans are the same why would you think EVERY person would? There is a huge difference between the government insuring people ONLY over 65 and EVERY American. HUGE difference.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcadca View Post
So because people OVER 65 think the plans are the same why would you think EVERY person would? There is a huge difference between the government insuring people ONLY over 65 and EVERY American. HUGE difference.
What's the difference? The only difference I see is that it's cheaper and easier to insure younger people. Younger people are more apt to adapt to wellness programs and the like. Again, this option would be available to every American but surely wont be choosen by every American.

It just seems to me that people are fearful of something different. We can't even say new because a form of it has been in place for years and 82% of the people that use it, say it's good. Reagan told us way back that medicare would lead to communism and every other evil concept the right wing could think of but it didn't happen. It also wont happen when a reform bill is passed with a public option included. In 40 years, people will be polled and 82% will say excatly what they say today.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:56 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,440,437 times
Quote:
What's the difference? The only difference I see is that it's cheaper and easier to insure younger people. Younger people are more apt to adapt to wellness programs and the like. Again, this option would be available to every American but surely wont be choosen by every American.

It just seems to me that people are fearful of something different. We can't even say new because a form of it has been in place for years and 82% of the people that use it, say it's good. Reagan told us way back that medicare would lead to communism and every other evil concept the right wing could think of but it didn't happen. It also wont happen when a reform bill is passed with a public option included. In 40 years, people will be polled and 82% will say excatly what they say today.

The difference is that it is a lot easier to insure 40 some odd million verses over 400 and a lot cheaper.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:16 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,015 times
Quote:
Providers are overpaid and abuse private insurers. Any honest person knows that. My dentist calls me once a week to do random shyt. Where do you get your "facts"? Nobody said it was going to change solely to the government paying providers. That's not being presented. If what you claim is correct, why wasn't that revealed in the poll? Respondents basically said that both were equal. Dr's who accept medicare aren't going out of business. With the U.S. already having a form of "socialized care" you point carries very little validity.
I've left posts on here in the past explaining why private insurers will not be able to stay in business if it has to compete with a government option. Rather than go into it again here, I'll just give you a few links to those posts along with some others that are related to the topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post10183165

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post10185661

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post9976524

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post9806024

I'm including this one because the link that's in it is very good....it's the POV from another broker (like myself) that deals with health insurance:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post9824510

As for what I say not being in the poll.......I don't know you'd have to ask Gallup why they didn't include it in the poll. The poll asked people with private insurance, Medicare or Medicaid only about how they felt the quality of medical care was that they were currently receiving....regardless of what they had, they answered about the same.....that they were quite happy with it. As I mentioned, that's because now even though Medicare and Medicaid doesn't pay well, private insurance is making up the difference and allows doctors to give the same quality of care to everyone.

As for doctors being able to stay in business or provide the same level of care that they do now, if they had to accept what Medicare/Medicaid pays for all their patients, I'll let you read what a doctor that was commenting on something I posted had to say about that:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post10138452

Doctors that accept Medicare aren't going out of business but, some are starting to opt out of it and not participate in it any more.

We don't have a form of "socialized care" now with Medicare/Medicaid. Doctors that accept it are generally self-employed, partners in a group (owners) or they're employeed by a private/public company accepts Medicare/Medicaid. Socialized care is when the doctors are employees of the government and all facilities they work in are owned and operated (by the government as well. That's a decription of how the VA works but, it only provides health care for a fraction of a fraction of the U.S. population....nonetheless, why wasn't that revealed in the poll? It would make sense if it was because, veterans that use the VA system receive care for the most part, from different doctors (army doctors) and facilities, than do patients that have private insurance or are on Medicare/Medicaid. I'll bet if it was included in the poll, the results wouldn't be at all similar to the others.

As you would say, since the U.S. doesn't have a form of "socialized care" with Medicare/Medicaid, your point carries very little validity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies