Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: GOP: Hypocrites? Or completely ignorant about the policies they backed for the last eight years?
Unapologetic hypocrites 15 34.09%
Unaware of the policies they supported for the last eight years 7 15.91%
Both 22 50.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:07 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Funny, I never heard a peep from the "conservatives" about Bush's spending until Obama was in office.
What do you think the 2006 and 2008 elections were about?

Pseudo-conservative in the House and Senate not abiding by conservative principles - they were booted out by conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 01:11 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What do you think the 2006 and 2008 elections were about?

Pseudo-conservative in the House and Senate not abiding by conservative principles - they were booted out by conservatives.
But of course, and you all voted in Dems instead? Sure thing.

That also would explain 2004 when you had a man who could have cut the spending in Iraq immediately, yet kept Bush in office another four years instead.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:42 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
We've been listening to the GOP endlessly complain about "Spending" for the last six months. They seem to either be acutely unaware of the last eight years under Bush which they whole heartily supported, or are unapologetic hypocrites. What is your take?

Frankly I find their constant complaining to be incredibly hypocritical and disingenuous. If they were so concerned about spending, debt, and the deficit, where in the hell were they for the last eight years? Why then did they rabidly defend the policies of their hero George W. Bush to no end, no matter how illogical or damaging it may have been? How can these people have an ounce of credibility or any integrity when they themselves advocated, cheered and put a man in office twice that did the same things they moan and groan over to no end?

This party prides itself on righteousness and candor yet embodies non of these qualities. Where is the honor? Where is the sincerity? Where is their capacity to be honest with themselves? What is forthright and truthful about all this? I see screaming, yelling, misdirection, cheap hyperbole, every possible logical fallacy argument known to man kind, and backsliders masquerading as concerned citizens for this great country. That's what I see.
I assume you missed the fact the the republicans lost big in recent elections. That was because people were tired of what they were doing. The democrats simply decided to do even more of it.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I assume you missed the fact the the republicans lost big in recent elections. That was because people were tired of what they were doing. The democrats simply decided to do even more of it.
The Dems are spending to stop us from going down the toilet, just like plenty of other countries around the world, and just like Bush before he left office. And that isn't the point anyway.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,314,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Bush's spending doesn't even come close to obama's.

Bush had a $400 BILLION deficit, obama has a $1.8 TRILLION deficit.

Obama will double the debt in ten years.
What you did not mention is that the MAJORITY of the spending is done for and on Americans unlike your buddy Bush

Old 09-02-2009, 03:36 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times
Quote:
The Dems are spending to stop us from going down the toilet, just like plenty of other countries around the world, and just like Bush before he left office. And that isn't the point anyway.
Gee, thanks guys.
The fact that the Republicans lost big addresses the point.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Oh the children!!!

This is precisely what I'm talking about. Where were you during the last eight years? Where you talking about the children then? Oh the poor children!!!!!
they were not mentioned b/c they were getting ready to go to IRAQ to look for wmds

Old 09-02-2009, 04:08 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That is...unless Barney Frank has his say in the matter.

Last Friday, Frank introduced the "TARP for Main Street Act of 2009," a bill that would take profits from the program and immediately redirect them toward housing proposals favored by Frank and some fellow Democrats.

Barney Frank: Let's spend TARP profits before taxpayers can get them | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/Barney-Frank--49649362.html - broken link)
Um, if passed, that would be a purpose to which Congress chooses to put them, correct?

dont know if this sounds familiar, but

"Obama had already asked for $1B to go to the Housing Trust Fund (a GWB project) for 2010. So Barney Frank gave a name for this allocation and introduced a bill for TARP $ to go to that."

Old 09-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Truthfully people if my taxes go up b/c of programs that helps a majority of my fellow Americans I don't mind. If my taxes are spent on a foreign country that did not want us there in the first place and could not account for Billions of dollars that turned up missing or the billions that benefited a few mega companies (Haliburton, Oil companies, KBR ect) and their families/investors (most of the past administration) THAT I HAVE A PROBELM WITH!

All of you complaining about the recent spending, tell me where is the majority of the money going? It seems to me that Obama is using it for things to improve this country. If the previous adminstration had half of the mind to do so in the first place we would not be having this discussion now.

Like it or not bush has spent alot of money that benefited a small population of people in this country (rich got richer) and made milliionaires billionaires especially in other countries.

A one pollster mentioned you have to spend money to make money, and from what I'm starting to see is that it is working. So why all of the sudden folks are so worried about the national debt how does REALLY effect you personally? Be honest politicians (same as everyone else) do things in their own best interest so why are some of you so mad? So what if my taxes go up at least I will be able to see where they went (better roads, healthcare, jobs ect) instead of watching the news and see my fellow Americans being blown up or electrocuted in IRAQ or watching Haliburton Pimp the government everytime a disaster or a war comes up with no bid contracts.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:11 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You didn't see any deficit at all in 2001. Didn't take long for Republicans to screw that up...as ACTUAL numbers show, not a bunch of PROJECTIONS that most right-wingers don't understand to start out with...
Who do you think was running the Congress since 1994?

Never heard of the Republican Revolution?

At midafternoon, Mr. Clinton appeared in the White House briefing room to accuse the Republicans of putting "ideology ahead of common sense and shared values." He said he vetoed the temporary spending measure, and another that would have extended the Government's borrowing authority until mid-December, "because America can never accept under pressure what it would not accept in free and open debate." He vowed to "continue to fight for the right kind of balanced budget," and added, "It is my solemn responsibility to stand against a budget plan that is bad for America."

BATTLE OVER THE BUDGET: THE OVERVIEW;Federal Workers Go Home as Budget Impasse Stiffens - The New York Times

The Republicans also preserved their right to use the economic assumptions of the Congressional Budget Office in calculating the cuts needed to reach a balanced budget. To satisfy the White House, they pledged to update such calculations after consulting with the White House's Office of Management and Budget. The differences between the two sets of estimates, while tiny in economic terms, have huge revenue consequences.
Mr. Dole and House Speaker Newt Gingrich and their top negotiators could barely contain their enthusiasm. Asked at a Capitol Hill news conference "Who blinked?" a couple of members of the Republican team called out, "It's seven years!"

BATTLE OVER THE BUDGET: THE OVERVIEW;PRESIDENT AND G.O.P. AGREE TO END FEDERAL SHUTDOWN AND TO NEGOTIATE A BUDGET - The New York Times

It is always easier to sell deficit spending and blame it on the other guys than to cut spending and take the heat. This was especially difficult since the president was resorting to a mediscare campaign to fight the responsible budget proposals coming out of the Congress. Liberals talk a good game but are always unwilling to make unpopular cuts to get to a balanced budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies