Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Wolves are native to Manhattan. Perhaps we should restore the natural balance there, too.
There are plenty here. They just wear suits.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:40 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriverranch View Post
Apparently, the dogs were chained up.
"Dogs tied up on an 18-inch chain are simply too good to pass up, he said."
Well duh. LGD's are not sled dogs and are definitely not chained. How would a chained dog defend itself?
As far your wolf in Vermont (or did they shoot the only one?)...better start building your house out of brick or he'll huff and he'll puff and he'll blow your house in.
Could you explain how one LGD will be effective against a pack of wolves?

How many links would you like showing LGDs being killed by predators?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Sled dogs are bred for speed and the ability to deal with harsh conditions. Also, the average LGD is roughly twice the weight of a sled dog. LGD's are bred to guard stock from bears and wolves. Are you really saying that a sled dog is equal to an LGD when it comes to guarding stock?
Are you saying the presence of LGDs will prevent predators from taking any livestock?

Because a Pyrenees weighs roughly the same as a male wolf.

Wolves live in packs....

Wolves will eat dogs.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Could you explain how one LGD will be effective against a pack of wolves?

How many links would you like showing LGDs being killed by predators?
How many times would you like me to tell you that the LGD's should be in at least, pairs. (That means more than one)

Old 09-18-2009, 06:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I might be guessing but I still thing a human with a 30 cal. rifle and a night scope might make a bigger difference than a LGD. Even at my age I think I could do a fair job with an M-14, a semi auto 12 ga shotgun or a Colt .45 auto so long as there was some natural star or moon light. The dog would be there to wake me up.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:58 AM

259 posts, read 705,690 times
Some idiot living in Idaho thought his well trained pit bulls would be safe outside in his backyard while he went to work on the night shift. He arrived home from work that morning to find all three dogs had been killed and partially eaten by a mountain lion. The sad part...He knew from local news reports about the mountain lion being in the area.

Mans best friend ( dogs ) cannot defend themselves against wild animals, including wolves. And even Coyotes for that matter.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
How many times would you like me to tell you that the LGD's should be in at least, pairs. (That means more than one)
Ahhh,so two dogs will defeat a pack of wolves...interesting.

Lets hope you never find out if that is the case,it sucks to lose any of your animals.

How did the trapping and releasing of the raccon go?

While I applaud this instead of simply killing the animal it does seem a little hypocritical to me considering your stance on the wolves....

Old 09-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I might be guessing but I still thing a human with a 30 cal. rifle and a night scope might make a bigger difference than a LGD. Even at my age I think I could do a fair job with an M-14, a semi auto 12 ga shotgun or a Colt .45 auto so long as there was some natural star or moon light. The dog would be there to wake me up.
That is illegal unless the state allows you to protect your livestock.

The person and their property is of secondary importance to the predator in question until the state decides otherwise.

Personally I would follow your plan and simply shoot the wolves or even easier,poison them.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Ahhh,so two dogs will defeat a pack of wolves...interesting.

Lets hope you never find out if that is the case,it sucks to lose any of your animals.

How did the trapping and releasing of the raccon go?

While I applaud this instead of simply killing the animal it does seem a little hypocritical to me considering your stance on the wolves....
It's already worked. No lost lambs or sheep and no injured Pyrs. How exactly is trapping and releasing a problem raccoon hypocritical? I have no issues with relocating or shooting a problem wolf.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I could not use my plan in my own town because shooting is prohibited due to crowded conditions. My farmer friends are going to trap the weasel that killed their chickens.

I have to wonder if the sheep in question we set out to be killed so the rancher could collect the 35 grand the gov't would pay for the dead critters. Just wondering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies