Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 09:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,243,408 times

Advertisements

Outlook poor for Great Barrier Reef: study | Science | Reuters

Meanwhile, climate change skeptics continue their moronic and dangerous crusade. "Moronic" because it's an absolute LIE. And "dangerous" because uneducated people believe them. It's amazing to me that people are willing to put all life on this planet at risk for the sake of political loyalty.

[MOD CUT/lamguage]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-03-2009 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 09:30 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,451,391 times
What sucks also is that it may be gone without me ever visiting it. I always wanted to see it.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:32 PM

The thing is, if the Reef dies, so do all the ecosystems and species that depend on it. And the health of the ocean is then put at risk, as well. And since the health of the oceans are required for this planet to function, if the Reef dies, we are all in big, big trouble.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,723,711 times
If humans continue to display a tendency to devolve towards insects, support centralized governments, then it is a very good thing if the earth dies.

We are parasites, no matter how "green" that you envision us becoming. A more realistic approach to securing human longevity is to help fund NASA. Only by finding new planets or "hosts" does the human race have any hope of continuing long term.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,935,472 times
We have had much warmer, hotter, and climates with much higher concentrations of CO2 before and the reefs survived.

Another scientist disputes your claim. Google Joan Kleypas.

A team of scientists, led by Joan Kleypas of the National Center for Atmospheric Research, looked at an area of the Pacific Ocean northeast of Australia. They studied records of temperature at the ocean surface and records of coral bleaching. They also used a climate model to simulate ocean temperatures.

They found evidence that the temperature of seawater was kept in check by natural processes. While tropical seas have warmed in the past few decades, the temperature has not changed much in this area of the Pacific. The coral reefs there have stayed healthy and have not suffered much bleaching.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:45 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,437,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
What sucks also is that it may be gone without me ever visiting it. I always wanted to see it.
You can visit a replica someday at Sea World or Disneyland.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
If humans continue to display a tendency to devolve towards insects, support centralized governments, then it is a very good thing if the earth dies.

We are parasites, no matter how "green" that you envision us becoming. A more realistic approach to securing human longevity is to help fund NASA. Only by finding new planets or "hosts" does the human race have any hope of continuing long term.
Why? So we can trash them, too?

Your plan isn't "realistic" in the least. There's not time left for that.

The human species needs to change its relationship with Nature. Until that happens--and, of course, it won't--there's no hope.

Old 09-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post
We have had much warmer, hotter, and climates with much higher concentrations of CO2 before and the reefs survived.

Another scientist disputes your claim. Google Joan Kleypas.

A team of scientists, led by Joan Kleypas of the National Center for Atmospheric Research, looked at an area of the Pacific Ocean northeast of Australia. They studied records of temperature at the ocean surface and records of coral bleaching. They also used a climate model to simulate ocean temperatures.

They found evidence that the temperature of seawater was kept in check by natural processes. While tropical seas have warmed in the past few decades, the temperature has not changed much in this area of the Pacific. The coral reefs there have stayed healthy and have not suffered much bleaching.
Yes, it's always possible to find a scientist--somewhere--who will support your denial. The fact remains that the VAST MAJORITY of climate scientists ALL OVER THE WORLD have NO DOUBT that climate change is real and is caused by humans.

That said, the information I found on Kleypas' research says something much, much different. In fact, she very much recognizes the danger of climate change on ocean health: