Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your opinion of home schooling?
In favor 124 49.21%
Not in Favor 76 30.16%
Don't care 52 20.63%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:18 PM

158 posts, read 604,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Some kids should only be so lucky that they're wanted by their parents.

That's the truth!!

I'm talking about the other extreme, which I think is also unhealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 09:23 PM

3 posts, read 24,477 times
I'm also fine with homeschooling.
Today it is considered as an alternative to formal education. It is also an alternative for families living in isolated rural locations and who choose not to have their children attend school. In many places homeschooling is a good option for parents who wish to provide their children with a different learning environment that is prevalent in nearby schools. The best means of homeschooling is through online education which is accessible from home and can be completed at your own pace of study.

Old 09-06-2009, 09:40 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Flashbaak
That's the truth!!

I'm talking about the other extreme, which I think is also unhealthy.
Ah, I get ya now.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:01 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,125,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

Finally teachers, who are always complaining about low pay are among the highest paid profession in the country, with great benefits that are far above what most people get. And they work only 9 months out of the year to boot. Retirement? Wonderful. Who could ask for more?

Sorry. I'm not sympathetic.
REALLY?????? They rank up there with physicians, dentists, lawyers, bankers, engineers, pharmacists, IT professionals, airline pilots and CEOs?

Please provide a link that shows teachers are among the highest paid profession in the country.

I don't think teachers (ESPECIALLY the good ones) get paid near enough what they deserve especially when putting up with "my little Susie can do no wrong" parents or the spectrum of students that come through their classrooms (rich, spoiled kids to disadvantaged kids to special needs kids to thugs).

Most of the teachers I am either related to or friends with spend their OWN money (out of their so-called "high" salaries) to buy school supplies for their kids and extra things for the classroom that the school district won't or can't budget.

They DESERVE their pensions for all those hours they put in EVERY SINGLE DAY in the classroom and after they get home grading papers or making lesson plans or dealing with the troubled student or negligent parent. And as far as having some 3 months off? THANK GOD. I can't imagine how much worse the burn-out would be after having to deal with everything that encompasses a teacher's role in our children's lives.

My cousin has taught for over 30+ yrs, the last 7 as an inner-city HS principal and is 1 yr from retirement. She was diagnosed with cancer this spring and while treatable, she's tired. Dead tired all the time. She didn't take the easy way out & sit out on medical leave for a year (she could have). She's back in the trenches trying to make a difference for all her students.

Be a proponent for homeschooling - that is great. But don't degrade or insult hard-working teachers in the public school system just because you think homeschooling is the only solution or because of your politics.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 09-06-2009 at 10:07 PM.. Reason: edited disability leave to medical leave

Old 09-06-2009, 10:42 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Sampaguita
REALLY?????? They rank up there with physicians, dentists, lawyers, bankers, engineers, pharmacists, IT professionals, airline pilots and CEOs?

Please provide a link that shows teachers are among the highest paid profession in the country.

I don't think teachers (ESPECIALLY the good ones) get paid near enough what they deserve especially when putting up with "my little Susie can do no wrong" parents or the spectrum of students that come through their classrooms (rich, spoiled kids to disadvantaged kids to special needs kids to thugs).

Most of the teachers I am either related to or friends with spend their OWN money (out of their so-called "high" salaries) to buy school supplies for their kids and extra things for the classroom that the school district won't or can't budget.

They DESERVE their pensions for all those hours they put in EVERY SINGLE DAY in the classroom and after they get home grading papers or making lesson plans or dealing with the troubled student or negligent parent. And as far as having some 3 months off? THANK GOD. I can't imagine how much worse the burn-out would be after having to deal with everything that encompasses a teacher's role in our children's lives.

My cousin has taught for over 30+ yrs, the last 7 as an inner-city HS principal and is 1 yr from retirement. She was diagnosed with cancer this spring and while treatable, she's tired. Dead tired all the time. She didn't take the easy way out & sit out on medical leave for a year (she could have). She's back in the trenches trying to make a difference for all her students.

Be a proponent for homeschooling - that is great. But don't degrade or insult hard-working teachers in the public school system just because you think homeschooling is the only solution or because of your politics.
But you see, since we're employed by the government we're worthless. (well, not to all conservatives, only to certain extremist people). Personally, I'm content with my pay. I won't oppose any pay increases, but I do get fantastic benefits and like what I do. And thankfully I don't have to buy my own supplies. But it is a tough job. Boy is it a tough job.

Good post. Rep to you.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:58 PM

168 posts, read 637,444 times
Default Turning the light on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashbaak View Post
Play the martyr if you want. What I'm tired of is homeschoolers thinking they are better and love their kids more because of how they choose to school them. Homeschoolers want everyone to see that there are many different ways to teach your child, including at home. Yet the respect doesn't go the other way. If you *don't* choose to homeschool, you either don't love your kids enough, you want them out of your hair, or you just didn't pray hard enough, or take enough time on your decision. Because surely if you cared about your children you'd homeschool. That's what I'm talking about.
Well that explains everything.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:27 PM

Default My home IS the real world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Derf View Post
The problem here is that parents raising children in a protective bubble risk that bubble being burst apart as soon as they leave the protective confines of their home and enter the real world.
“Protective confines of their home”? Jeez, is your home some kind of confined bubble? How about the “protective confines of the classroom” or “the school”? Like no public schooler ever had that thought, eh?

Please explain to me how home-schooling constitutes a “protective bubble.”

Old 09-07-2009, 03:14 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westward View Post
Please explain to me how home-schooling constitutes a “protective bubble.”
Like all things, it depends on who you are talking about. Not all homeschoolers are in it for the same reason. I know there are many groups who shelter their kids through school age and even beyond. Some don't want them having higher education, at least not the girls, and if they do get to go to college it's only to one of the more strict and regulated Christian schools that will maintain the "bubble" for a few more years. In fact, the term "bubble" is often used by people who live those kinds of lives.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

Default Put it in perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Like all things, it depends on who you are talking about. Not all homeschoolers are in it for the same reason. I know there are many groups who shelter their kids through school age and even beyond. Some don't want them having higher education, at least not the girls, and if they do get to go to college it's only to one of the more strict and regulated Christian schools that will maintain the "bubble" for a few more years. In fact, the term "bubble" is often used by people who live those kinds of lives.
Well, let's clarify here that it is incorrect to call home-schooling a protective bubble just because it can be employed as such by those who wish to keep their kids in a bubble. It very definitely depends on who you are talking about. People who want to have that lifestyle are going to impose it, homeschooling or not.

Now consider those strict, regulated Christian colleges you mention. How much of their populations do you suppose are actually homeschoolers? In the case of BJU, or Pensacola Christian College, both of whom produce homeschool materials, the homeschool cohort may be higher, but I can't imagine homeschoolers (who usually attend the best college they can qualify for) making up enough of the population to keep any religious college open.

So there are many more individuals keeping these colleges alive....from private and public schools. And many of them leave as soon as they realize their credits don’t transfer, or their majors are too limited, or there’s too little freedom. Some of them manage to find mates who were raised with the same values, and have a happy life.

Compare that scenario with the many millions more public school kids whose parents have to work, and aren’t able to protect their kids from real problems in life, like not being there to help and share with them, losing them to street life. Or not being able to move from all the bad influences in their n’hood. Or kids with parents in jail, showing jr how to live well. And we mustn’t forget the parents who simply couldn’t homeschool to get their child caught up to speed, and whose kids subsequently were failed by the system. Or dropped out for lack of help.

These are real problems, causing real failures, for millions of kids who then have to dig their own way out – vs those “crazy religious” homeschoolers who pay for their kids to vacation another few years in the “safe confines” of higher education….where they subsequently find their calling in life, or (more likely) move to an accredited institution and get on with life after figuring out their mistake.

I don't see how that qualifies as a detraction for homeschooling, any more than the zillions of public schoolers making unwise choices qualifies as a detraction for public school.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:08 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
I think all bible believing patriotic Americans should take their kids out of schools and teach them at home, all the important things: commies (and liberals) are our evil enemies, god wants us to win, the 2nd Amendment is the most important part of the Constitution.
Who needs schools anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies