Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 10:11 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Agreed 110%, this whole anti-Obama movement stems from deep rooted racism.....no doubt about it.
Because you said it, it must be true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 10:12 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,118,390 times
When all else fails, pull out the race card.

More proof from the left that they've assumed the defensive position and that the fall of Barrack Obama and Democrats in Congress is happening right before their eyes.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
I'm not for Obama and it has nothing to do with the color of his skin.
I do not like his agenda of more government involvement in every aspect of American lives.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:15 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He IS the most divisive president in my lifetime, even compared to the all-consuming hatred of the Left towards Bush.

<snip>

Although those that oppose him have a legitimate reason - the "change" and "hope" he is using to destroy this great nation.
You must be even younger than I thought. You weren't alive for LBJ? "Hey, hey, LBJ; How many boys did you kill today?", right outside the White House, day after day? Don't remember Viet Nam, even on the level of a child? 100,000 people demonstrating in front of the White House while Nixon watched a football game on TV? I can think of so many more examples of very divisive presidents.

Also, see below, an excellent post. Maybe you are too young to remember this stuff. Go back and study a little history before your next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
How does one even respond to someone who does not or cannot understand the basic nature of the country she lives in?
How did we get to this point? When I was a kid, it was a given that unless you went to parochial school, there was no Bible, nowhere, nohow in public schools. We still managed to go to church on Sundays and maybe CE on Wednesdays and our faith was never compromised by not being exposed to the Bible in school. And, I gotta say, we acted a heck of lot more like Christians in those days, than people do now.

As for the president being the most divisive in 50 years? How old are you?
People hated Johnson and Nixon and yes, even Kennedy (he was a papist, OMG). Divisive is an atmosphere where it is okay to shoot kids on college campuses, where it is okay to turn fire hoses on people and set dogs on them. Divisive is a president who keeps an 'enemies' file on his opponents.
Divisive is NOT trying to work 'across the aisle', nor is it reaching out to people across the world, regardless of race, religion or gender.
These things are only divisive if you don't agree with them, if you want to continue the 'us vs them' mentality of the last eight years, if you want to believe that the democratic process only works when your candidate wins.

I welcome the President's focus on education just as my parents welcomed President Kennedy's. It seems to me that it has been that long since a president used that 'bully pulpit' to reach out to our youth, to remind them of their potential and the endless possibilities available to them. Too many people want to create a 'dark ages' in this country that honestly never existed. The founders were not anti-education, they were not anti-intellectual - descendants of the Puritans founded Harvard for heaven's sake. Look at the Taliban destroying centuries of art and denying women the right to vote. Is that the model we want to set for ourselves?

Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,147,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
When all else fails, pull out the race card.

More proof from the left that they've assumed the defensive position and that the fall of Barrack Obama and Democrats in Congress is happening right before their eyes.
No, I think a lot of white anti-Obama people really are apprehensive about a black sensibility in their country's leadership -- what they take that to mean. Even an inclusive sensibility frightens them.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:18 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,933,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13257516?source=rss

can you say 'indoctrination'? this man needs to stay out of the classrooms. he has no place there.

if he wants 'dialogue' and hands-on with at-risk children in poor neighborhoods, then he needs to physically GO to those specific schools, sit down on the floor with the children depending on their age, and read them an 'age-appropriate' children's book...and have a word or two of 'age appropriate' conversation with them regarding how important school is!

what will the kindergartners get from his speech? the same thing that the 8th graders will? I think not.

imo, he has no place to be doing this. I'm far from the minority here as well, in my opinion, just read some of the comments below the article.

our current president appears to have many narcissistic traits and IMO, needs to get over himself and do the least damage possible to our country in his 4yr stint. unfortunately, though, it's not apparent that he's going to finish out his term like that.....
Question for all that have a problem with President Obama talking to our school kids, did you have a problem with Bush doing it? I do not recall any outrage during his tour of duty. Do you remember where President Bush was on 9-11?
Casper

Old 09-03-2009, 10:19 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
FYI:

President Obama's speech will be broadcast on C-SPAN and via the White House website.

Additionally, here is a link to more information, including the classroom activity packets for teachers to use following the broadcast if they so choose.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:57 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,054 times
Exclamation Thank Ya Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Topic is total BS. The divisive issue is RACE. There is a BLACK man in the white house and it drives racist white idiots insane.
LOL...I'll second you on that, but I'll take the sting out of part of it just a little...

I'll repeat something I said awhile back in another political-type thread---I'm not gonna call all whites racist, just like they can't call all blacks thugs and criminals and etc...but in this country's history, without fail, Dem or GOP, every POTUS has been a white male...for the first time in history, a non-white male is the sitting President, and you are dead on point in that regard---some folks have their bloomers in a bunch over that and have since maybe before Inauguration Day...

And to that I say this...they really need to go somewhere, find some tools, build a bridge, and get over it, because their juvenile whining and ceaseless nit-picking are accomplishing nothing except making other folks tell them to 'shut the eff up already'! End of rant

Old 09-03-2009, 11:10 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,050,601 times
I don't think racism is necessarily at the heart of the dissent, but I do think that it is a contributing factor. I've heard absolutely horrifying racist comments about our President from my own extended family. Racism is alive and well in Dixieland.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:13 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,811,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowolves View Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_13257516?source=rss

can you say 'indoctrination'? this man needs to stay out of the classrooms. he has no place there.

if he wants 'dialogue' and hands-on with at-risk children in poor neighborhoods, then he needs to physically GO to those specific schools, sit down on the floor with the children depending on their age, and read them an 'age-appropriate' children's book...and have a word or two of 'age appropriate' conversation with them regarding how important school is!

what will the kindergartners get from his speech? the same thing that the 8th graders will? I think not.

imo, he has no place to be doing this. I'm far from the minority here as well, in my opinion, just read some of the comments below the article.

our current president appears to have many narcissistic traits and IMO, needs to get over himself and do the least damage possible to our country in his 4yr stint. unfortunately, though, it's not apparent that he's going to finish out his term like that.....
Its funny when people like you blame someone else to be divisive. Start at home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies