Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is having children a right or a privilege?
Yes, it's a right! 17 34.00%
No, it's a privilege! 33 66.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:43 AM

1,247 posts, read 920,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkx7 View Post
This poll didnt mention government at all, we were just discussing the abililty to bear children and reproduce. I dont think anyone can take that for granted.
Who else, besides the government, distinguishes between rights and privileges? I thought the poll was referring to the government, by default.

And now 17 people have voted "privilege". I think it's safe to assume those 17 people would have no problem if the government were to declare they couldn't have children. That's what their answers state, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 07:59 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,058,323 times
The wording of the poll confounded me, and I don't know the context in which the word "privilege" was intended. I also wonder what the word "right" implies in the context of child bearing.

What did you or do you mean, OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Who else, besides the government, distinguishes between rights and privileges? I thought the poll was referring to the government, by default.

And now 17 people have voted "privilege". I think it's safe to assume those 17 people would have no problem if the government were to declare they couldn't have children. That's what their answers state, anyway.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:13 AM

8,977 posts, read 21,071,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kJKINVARA View Post
What about a reversable visectomy for all boys. The will still have the right and then the privilege when the desire becomes real.
Ouch. That hurts me just thinking about it. What is your reasoning behind that idea?

Old 05-01-2007, 08:56 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,431,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
The wording of the poll confounded me, and I don't know the context in which the word "privilege" was intended. I also wonder what the word "right" implies in the context of child bearing.

What did you or do you mean, OP?
Privilege, as in the ability to reproduce can be revoked or limited in extreme cases (temporarily or permanently) by a govt. entity. Much like how drivers licenses are revoked or have restrictions.

Right, as in the ability to reproduce should never be limited or revoked in any case.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:51 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,820,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Ok! This is my first poll, so I hope I did this right.

Should having children be regarded as a right or a privilege?
It is a right that humans have to have kids. Now, in countries like China and India, population control is needed as this massive amount of people are destroying the environment and sucking up natural resources.

But if this thread is supposed to be relating to the citizenship that the child receives after birth, then no, there should be no right to US citizenship if both parents are here illegally.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:09 AM

504 posts, read 1,761,027 times
Unfortunately having children is a right, and it just makes me ill at how many times its abused. The woman in the back had four children, she is on ssi, and her adopted children are also getting ssi because they were born drug addicted , now get this, one of her children had nine drug addicted children,one no one knows where he is, each of them get ssi in thier name because they were born drug addicted, she adopted three of them who because they were born drug addicted get ssi, they too are teenagers now, and has custody of the last of the nine. Her son has at least seven children with three women, that I know of, supports none, three get ssi, two get state help, the others I do not know. One of her daughters died who was also getting ssi, and when she died her ssi was split between her four who because they too were born addicted to drugs get ssi in thier own name also. Another daughter lives in Texas and she has four of her own and custody of two of her sisters children and they get ssi. Eleven of these children live with her, one of the sons girlfriends who has four little girls of his live with her along with her husband who actually works outside of the house. I do not know how she can get ssi if she is married and her husband makes over the poverty line, ssi is based on income, and her husbands should count as hers, its different from ssd. All the kids are on health plans and two get scholrships because they are supposibly bi-polar.
Social workers, police, case workers, are all involved in this mess. Her son with the seven kids shows up anytime in a cab, or a nice car, nice clothes, and a new girlfriend, he does not pay support and leaves his pit bull mix tied in the back yard where the guybelongs. The teenagers have boyfriends and girlfriends already. Another generation.
She had four kids, and the four kids have at least 24 kids that I know of. Its time for spaying and neutering people. This even confuses me and I deal with a couple of the teenagers on a regular basis, and everyday it seems like things change one gone and two back.
These are all American citizens and have been for generations.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:53 PM

20 posts, read 39,304 times
Just that it is reversable, without complications of drugs given to girls, effective and addresses irresponsiblity. Why bother with the discussions of rights? Most of the problems are caused by unwanted pregnancies. Oddly, I think it would help ease poverty to start one's reproductive life when one wanted the privilege. Wouldn't it be lovely if all the kids born were through intention?

Before anyone asks, I have no kids. Through intention.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:08 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,658,700 times
Default Wow...

A majority of people voting think society has some kind of right to control whether I reproduce...

I think maybe I need a shotgun.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:23 PM

793 posts, read 3,116,115 times
From a government standpoint, I see a more legitimate government interest and right to control one's reproductive rights than I can say, to establish seat belt laws. Population control is food for thought, not saying this country is there yet, but, as my previous post alluded to, its a bigger concern than some may realize despite what folks like John Stossel may contend. Seat belt laws on the other hand, at least ones catered for the adult population, only violate one's right to control his/her body who he/she wishes in his/her own property with no danger that affects the citizenry at-large.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:29 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,058,323 times
I wish I could answer this question but with these definitions, I remain confounded.

Right and privilege don't enter into my personal vocabulary when I think of child bearing. This is another personal issue best left to individuals, not a right or a privilege, but rather a choice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Privilege, as in the ability to reproduce can be revoked or limited in extreme cases (temporarily or permanently) by a govt. entity. Much like how drivers licenses are revoked or have restrictions.

Right, as in the ability to reproduce should never be limited or revoked in any case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies