Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:26 AM

82 posts, read 192,726 times

Advertisements

Sure, you run the risk of getting kidnapped, but, on the other hand, you don't have a lawn to mow. It's all give and take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You dont understand the time value of money very well do you? Lets not even discuss that the deal is most likely a sale/leaseback with option arrangement and that your equation ignore the property tax income and the maintenance liability expenses involved with "owning" rather than renting..
You mentioned that you own some buildings that the government leases. Do you make a profit on them? Of course you do.

Q: How is that possible?

A: Because the government pays you more in rent than it costs for you to own the building over time.

Translation: It's cheaper to own than to rent if you plan to hold onto the property long-term. The time-value of money argument is mute when you think of this as a property that they will be renting for as long as the state of Arizona exists. The $700 million they are asking for the building may be worth more today than the $70 million they will be paying in rent 10 years from now, but if it's over 100 years, or 1000 years... And yes, there is a buyback option. Do you think the property will be worth less 30 years from now if they decide to exercise that option? Of course not. So the state will waste money then too and investors will earn even more profit off the taxpayers. Oh joy...

Old 09-04-2009, 10:38 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
The only thing good about AZ is its natural beauty, and fine native American tribes I've occasionally interacted with.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
When are people gonna wake up and realize that Democrats and Republicans are two sides of the same coin? Vote third party!

Old 09-04-2009, 10:41 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
You mentioned that you own some buildings that the government leases. Do you make a profit on them? Of course you do.

Q: How is that possible?

A: Because the government pays you more in rent than it costs for you to own the building over time.

Translation: It's cheaper to own than to rent if you plan to hold onto the property long-term. The time-value of money argument is mute when you think of this as a property that they will be renting for as long as the state of Arizona exists. The $700 million they are asking for the building may be worth more today than the $70 million they will be paying in rent 10 years from now, but if it's over 100 years, or 1000 years... And yes, there is a buyback option. Do you think the property will be worth less 30 years from now if they decide to exercise that option? Of course not. So the state will waste money then too and investors will earn even more profit off the taxpayers. Oh joy...
The government also doesnt pay property taxes, which generates revenues for the taxpayers, I do.. And I can usually manage expenses better than the government, just like every other business that exists.. Why else do you think the government also contracts out their insurance, medical, prisons, even landscaping and often times security.. ITS CHEAPER.. I dont have to pay union wages, I dont have the costs of selling bonds, I dont have to worry about budget shortfalls, and I can hire people anywhere in the world to often work for me and can put managment and maintenance out for competitive bids much quicker and cheaper than the government can due to legal restrictions. lets not even discuss that often times some of the properties I invest in can have 40-50 owners and we can often time get better mortgage rates than the government can due to the shear assets and accounts receivables and better management of money..

Ooh, the contract does indeed have a buyback option, what is the price on that buyback? You cant make a fair computation on the profit/losses of a deal without knowing that price..

p.s. and you also forgot about the fact that I can manage and own these properties, do it cheaper than the state and the post office because I can write off my expenses, again, the government can not.. I can actually buy a property, lease it at a loss, and still have it turn into a profitable deal due to writeoffs, 1031's, LIHTC's etc..

Last edited by pghquest; 09-04-2009 at 10:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies