Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:30 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,538,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Actually, I'm just as guilty as nat. Until I noticed that little icon under your profile couple of months ago (adding a picture, anything, will pull gender information from profile). Although, I believe, if you don't have a picture, the female (or male) icon will still be there but faded so not easily noticeable.
Snicker....my aggressive nature is confusing people. I guess I need to connect w/my feminine side more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 10:37 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,761,037 times
I'm thinking it might boil down to this: Kids have not been given the tools they need to thrive in an increasingly competetive world once they become adults.

I'm early 30's myself and have "made it" more or less, with a crappy but secure and decent paying job, a nice home, degree, family and no debt besides the house and a car, but I know LOTS of people my age who haven't. They are despressed, disheartened and as mentioned before, "medicate" themselves too much.

What should I do differently with my kids than my parent's generation did with us so they have a better shot as success?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,034,407 times
Too many people are coddled that they succeed by showing up, that they can get alone by doing the bare minimum. They mortgage their future by wanting everything now, who needs to strive for it when you can buy it now and pay $200 a month for the rest of your life? Why work hard to succeed when you can take out tens of thousands of dollars in loans to put off growing up in college?

Old 09-04-2009, 10:39 AM

83 posts, read 160,435 times
Default Womens lib

Someone hit it on the head back on page 1. The same people, who are
taking your rights away today implemented that for all the reasons you
see and we are talking about. It has helped them, everything that has happened since and for a while before was a button pressed by someone that you will never hear about. The media heards the sheep in whatever
direction about every subject. If you watch news with an open mind,
and think, you might be able to step out of the matrix once and a while
and see the grand scheme.

Now go set American Idol to tape, stare at your i-phone and wonder
if you are Dem. or Repub. The media, and the powers that be will
soon have you working 60 hours a week, paying 50% taxes, but you
will have a flatscreen and a cell phone so be happy debt slaves.
Suckers. Idiocracy here we come.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,534,369 times
I think it's simple. It's economic. Life costs more today, and our incomes aren't keeping up with the costs. Rents and housing used to cost a fifth of the average person's monthly income. Say the average person paid 200 in rent, that person was making about 1000 dollars a month. Here in Houston, it costs 600 dollars to rent a crappy apartment in a rougher neighborhood. Do you think the average person living in a 600 dollar apartment is making 3000 dollars a month? I think a lot of people ignore economic realities and instead choose to use the situation as a reason to bash young adults.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:51 AM

716 posts, read 1,118,164 times
Many people my age want to live the good life, and they want it now. Nice condos, cars, clothes, nightlife, etc. I know lots of people who have good jobs and then literally spend their whole paycheck on their lifestyle. Some of my friends just have to go to Vegas twice a year, eat at the best restaurants, drive a leased luxury car and buy top shelf booze.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,165,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I'm thinking it might boil down to this: Kids have not been given the tools they need to thrive in an increasingly competetive world once they become adults.

I'm early 30's myself and have "made it" more or less, with a crappy but secure and decent paying job, a nice home, degree, family and no debt besides the house and a car, but I know LOTS of people my age who haven't. They are despressed, disheartened and as mentioned before, "medicate" themselves too much.

What should I do differently with my kids than my parent's generation did with us so they have a better shot as success?
Very good and thoughtful observation.

I think that generational change has a lot to do with the problem of young adults not becoming as independent as they should. Parents of my generation (born between 1946 and 1960) generally overcompensated from the rather harsh upbringings we had, from the prior generation that grew up during the financial hardships of the Depression, and World War II. The folks from that generation were generally very tough and hardened, and were strict parents.

Our generation was raised to believe that being a kind and open parent, being less judgemental and strict, would allow kids to become better and happier adults. To a degree this is true, however the lack of direction and expectations was also a byproduct in this change in how kids were raised.

Throw in some major structural shifts such as the termination of the military draft, and mom working instead of being home raising kids, technology automating much of the production type jobs and the evolution towards a worldwide economy, and there is a different world those younger folks are experiencing. I don't think the structure they grew up in really equipped them for how to thrive in this environment, and many are now struggling.

The answer is very complicated, somewhat due to the fact that the environment they may be facing 20-30 years from now may be radically different than what exist today.

Old 09-04-2009, 10:56 AM

11,574 posts, read 13,921,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwoods View Post
Many people my age want to live the good life, and they want it now. Nice condos, cars, clothes, nightlife, etc. I know lots of people who have good jobs and then literally spend their whole paycheck on their lifestyle. Some of my friends just have to go to Vegas twice a year, eat at the best restaurants, drive a leased luxury car and buy top shelf booze.
$30K Millionaires...like a disease spreading across the country.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:00 AM

61,289 posts, read 87,253,323 times
parenting = teaching of life skills. its not happening.
military service is another critical element.
we eradicated from their life everything that made us strong in our life.
as to employment, we have been pushing "more with less" for 20 years
now you gota be functioning at genius level to keep an entry level job.
the good life is over, the party is over.
this is not a recovery, we are about to step off the reef.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:08 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,034,407 times
I really think it's the absence of responsibility as well. When my parents were growing up you were a big determinate on your fate, that success was 90% perspiration. Now so many people are victims to rich people, the banks, people in power keeping them down, some -ism perpetrated against them...the list goes on forever how many other people are to blame for some ones failings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies