Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:45 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Just because there is precedent, doesn't make it right. By that logic, W tortured, therefore it is OK for the O-bomb to torture. Clinton got a BJ form an intern, therefore it is acceptable for the O-bomb to get a BJ from an intern. Clinton and Bush and others attacker sovereign nation, therefore it is acceptable for the O-bomb to attack sovereignty.

Demand they do their job, and do it properly, not in any way that subverts the constitution or denies due process. Regardless of what predecessors have done, demand more from the current elected leaders. Give them an inch........
Are you really that uneducated about American history and the political process? Or are you just having a knee-jerk reaction? Or have Beck and Limbaugh already started to spin this and you're quoting them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
It is not the job of the executive branch to legislate.
But...it's part of the "CHANGE". Who's gonna stop them ?

Old 09-04-2009, 02:47 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Just because there is precedent, doesn't make it right.
Ah, mind pointing out the wrong of you, or I, or more importantly the President from proposing legislation? Would you care to point on the constitutional prohibition for do so?

Quote:
By that logic, W tortured, therefore it is OK for the O-bomb to torture. Clinton got a BJ form an intern, therefore it is acceptable for the O-bomb to get a BJ from an intern. Clinton and Bush and others attacker sovereign nation, therefore it is acceptable for the O-bomb to attack sovereignty.
Don't attempt to pose a question based upon logic when logic is so apparently absent.

Quote:
Demand they do their job, and do it properly, not in any way that subverts the constitution or denies due process.
Once again, please post the basis for you argument that proposing legislation is a subversion of the Constitution. Of course this will come as news to every lobbyist, and public interest group, and every constitutional scholar in the country.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:54 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
I really hope its not 1000 pages long... heck... I don't think it should be more than 200 pages long...

Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Are you really that uneducated about American history and the political process? Or are you just having a knee-jerk reaction? Or have Beck and Limbaugh already started to spin this and you're quoting them?
I don't listen to either of those guys, that seems to be the new cry, almost as common as "racist!" FWIW, I have no love for or faith in the Republican party, if you are so blinded by partisanship that it is the only thing you see, I pity you and fear for the future of our nation if you represent the common attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ah, mind pointing out the wrong of you, or I, or more importantly the President from proposing legislation? Would you care to point on the constitutional prohibition for do so?

Don't attempt to pose a question based upon logic when logic is so apparently absent.

Once again, please post the basis for you argument that proposing legislation is a subversion of the Constitution. Of course this will come as news to every lobbyist, and public interest group, and every constitutional scholar in the country.
Whatever happened to legislators, um, legislating. While there may not be any provision in the Constitution strictly prohibiting such an action, it was not the intent to have a President write legislation because he knows he has a majority. It subverts the system of checks and balances, it takes any opposition off the table and produces one sided legislation and the American people, the voters, cease to be served. Is the President now a lobbyist, is that what the job has become? Are you only arguing for this because you are a supporter of his, did you happily accept legislation written by the Bush camp over his 8 years of disaster?

Do you just support it for the sake of supporting it, because it is "your side?"

Old 09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
He needs to be spending his time ridding our country of the illegals who are costing our hospitals millions each year. Get rid of the illegals and the health problem goes away. Real Americans have health insurance of their own and don't want any changes. I wonder how many illegals voted in the last election.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:38 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times
Quote:
It is not the job of the executive branch to legislate.
Quote:
The president’s legislative program has no constitutional or statutory basis. Rather, presidents began drafting bills and offering them to Congress on a piecemeal basis in the 19th century.
Quote:
It was not until President Truman, however, that the chief executive fully institutionalized the legislative program, directing members of his administration to draft a comprehensive set of bills and present them to Congress. As Neustadt has related, President Eisenhower resisted the practice in his first year in office, but adopted it thereafter at Congress’s insistence (Neustadt 1955). All subsequent presidents followed him in this regard.

By the late 1950s, administrative agencies submitted approximately 1,000 items to Congress annually, with the President himself providing messages and bills for about 100. Using Congressional Quarterly, the Public Papers of the Presidency and records in the presidential libraries, political scientist Andrew Rudalevige identified more than 6900 presidential proposals from 1949-1996 (inclusive), about 144 per year (p. 166).
http://www.princeton.edu/~ccameron/Primer.pdf

Old 09-04-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
He needs to be spending his time ridding our country of the illegals who are costing our hospitals millions each year. Get rid of the illegals and the health problem goes away. Real Americans have health insurance of their own and don't want any changes. I wonder how many illegals voted in the last election.
He will get rid of the illegals all in due time. He promised them a "path to citzenship". I guess this will come up after healthcare and after Cap&Trade.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,279,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
OK, so there is ample precedent, but, to me, it only offers more proof of how broken the system has become. I know there is little I can do to change it, beyond voting and expressing my opinion when appropriate.

FWIW, I see how broken medicare is, and, while I may not agree with nationalized health care, something needs to be done to stop the huge drain on Americans. Personally, I'd rather see an audit and reconstruction of the existing system, to maximize efficiency and eliminate waste, I doubt any new plan the President, the lobbyists, Congress or the House will come up with will do anything but spend.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Personally, I'd rather see an audit and reconstruction of the existing system, to maximize efficiency and eliminate waste, I doubt any new plan the President, the lobbyists, Congress or the House will come up with will do anything but spend.
The government turning inward and cleaning house ?
That will NEVER happen. I'm sure there are plenty of skeletons and "turn the other way" happenings going on that no one will dare investigate any other dept or branch of the government.

There is no one outside the government to call the government out. The checks and balances are broken and no longer mean anything when they are all in bed with each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies