Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:10 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times

Advertisements

This isn't directed at the rabidly far left wing posters on this board. This is to those liberals that support Obama, but do have the ability to think for yourself.

Look, you can support this president. If you think that all these bills and ideas they're trying to pass are good for America in the long term, fine, nobody's going to change your mind.

My favor to ask is this....please keep your eyes open and if you see that maybe this administration isn't what you were promised, be willing to speak up.

The conservative movement is very concerned with all the control and apparent corruption that we see in this administration, but the last election created such an "us vs them" mentality, that many (on both sides) won't open their eyes to the other side's views. It's still an "us vs them" thing.

Our concerns are these:
1. This administration is appointing some very sketchy people to the cabinet. Tax cheats, self-avowed communists, far left radicals, etc. If the Bush administration had appointed the exact same folks, there would have been an uproar.
2. We're concerned that the administration is slowly working their way into our largest industries. They've currently got their hands in the auto industry, banking and health care. Even though people are saying "they'll just stay in it until they're fixed and get out", that means you have to put your trust in a government, which isn't a good idea. They've currently got tons of control over the private sector and when they've got that control, they can easily exploit it. Now he's talking about being able to take over the internet in case of "emergency". Giving ANYONE (right or left) this much power is dangerous.
3. We're concerned that anytime a group of people stands up to voice displeasure, the administration tries to brand them as extremists, nazis, etc. We're citizens of this country and our numbers are not small. We make up half of this country and to refuse to listen to half of the country signals an attempt at takeover.

If you can HONESTLY say that had all this happened with a conservative administration, you wouldn't have had a problem with it, then fine. You're getting what you want.

I don't expect anything but a bunch of the far left posters to jump on telling me to keep my tin foil hat on and flaming my viewpoints, but I feel confident that although you're obnoxious, you don't stand for the majority of Americans. Most of us are right in the center.

You don't have to jump on here saying "i've changed my ways" or grovel to anyone. But if you see the administration keep trying to take more and more power, PLEASE stand up before it's too late. Because if you just sit and assume they're looking out for your best interests, and don't call them on the carpet when you see things slipping away from us, we can't blame anyone but ourselves.

When the government is no longer scared of the people, democracy is in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 04:12 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I haven't seen too many posters claiming Obama can do no wrong. Just ones who claim he can do no right.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
"Nothing to see here, move along ..."

OP says:
"... have their hands in the auto industry ..."
As opposed to there NOT BEING an American auto industry?

"... take over the Internet ..."
The NSA and DoD want this power, not Obama per se. The military is driving that idea. It's not even clear whether this is even techologically feasible anyway. Read the information industry press's articles on the idea.

Conservatives are remarkable in not understanding the FACT OF LIFE that the Federal government has many distinct power centers and its own internal bureaucratic constituencies, with in most cases the most important player being the Dept of Defense. Please have a look sometime at the movie "Thirteen Days" starring Kevin Costner about the Cuban Missile Crisis. It's a nice dramatization of how the various bureaucratic factions in the Federal Government can flex muscles and attempt to influence Congress, industry, and the "American People" to get the President to take one step or another.

Last edited by ParkTwain; 09-04-2009 at 04:37 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,737,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
This isn't directed at the rabidly far left wing posters on this board. This is to those liberals that support Obama, but do have the ability to think for yourself.

Look, you can support this president. If you think that all these bills and ideas they're trying to pass are good for America in the long term, fine, nobody's going to change your mind.

My favor to ask is this....please keep your eyes open and if you see that maybe this administration isn't what you were promised, be willing to speak up.

The conservative movement is very concerned with all the control and apparent corruption that we see in this administration, but the last election created such an "us vs them" mentality, that many (on both sides) won't open their eyes to the other side's views. It's still an "us vs them" thing.

Our concerns are these:
1. This administration is appointing some very sketchy people to the cabinet. Tax cheats, self-avowed communists, far left radicals, etc. If the Bush administration had appointed the exact same folks, there would have been an uproar.
2. We're concerned that the administration is slowly working their way into our largest industries. They've currently got their hands in the auto industry, banking and health care. Even though people are saying "they'll just stay in it until they're fixed and get out", that means you have to put your trust in a government, which isn't a good idea. They've currently got tons of control over the private sector and when they've got that control, they can easily exploit it. Now he's talking about being able to take over the internet in case of "emergency". Giving ANYONE (right or left) this much power is dangerous.
3. We're concerned that anytime a group of people stands up to voice displeasure, the administration tries to brand them as extremists, nazis, etc. We're citizens of this country and our numbers are not small. We make up half of this country and to refuse to listen to half of the country signals an attempt at takeover.

If you can HONESTLY say that had all this happened with a conservative administration, you wouldn't have had a problem with it, then fine. You're getting what you want.

I don't expect anything but a bunch of the far left posters to jump on telling me to keep my tin foil hat on and flaming my viewpoints, but I feel confident that although you're obnoxious, you don't stand for the majority of Americans. Most of us are right in the center.

You don't have to jump on here saying "i've changed my ways" or grovel to anyone. But if you see the administration keep trying to take more and more power, PLEASE stand up before it's too late. Because if you just sit and assume they're looking out for your best interests, and don't call them on the carpet when you see things slipping away from us, we can't blame anyone but ourselves.

When the government is no longer scared of the people, democracy is in trouble.
I've managed to keep an open mind with every President in office since I earned my right to vote in 1982.

If Obama tries anything close to what his predecessor did, I will react in the same way, by signing every petition available for his impeachment and writing to my representatives in Congress.

You have my word on it.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
"Nothing to see here, move along ..."
You're one of the ones I was referring to, so I'm not worried about your response.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,461,458 times
If you could say something substantive, rather than talking about your taste preferences, it might go down better for "someone like me."

There were plenty of liberals who complained, held hearings in Congress, etc., over the immoderate and radically Right Wing actions taken by the Dubya Administration, but nothing substantive came of it. It will probably take YEARS for any serious investigation to take place into the torture policies put into place by Cheney et al. Why do you think it would be different today for those airing serious concerns about the policies of the Obama Administration?

Last edited by ParkTwain; 09-04-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-04-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
I've managed to keep an open mind with every President in office since I earned my right to vote in 1982.

If Obama tries anything close to what his predecessor did, I will react in the same way, by signing every petition available for his impeachment and writing to my representatives in Congress.

You have my word on it.
The last 4 years of Bush's term were absolutely horrible and most conservatives didn't like him either. He spent entirely too much and was out of control. I truly think that the conservatives of America are at fault for this for not standing up and being louder.

We absolutely approved of his handling of 9/11, but I think we were in total shock to see what he had become.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:24 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
I always keep my mind open with everyone in power, but I'm never going to march in lock step behind those who are extreme in love or hate of those in power. Most of what I have seen now are not the moderates, but the vocal minority who scream bloody murder at the ones they irrationally hate using all sorts of lies as proof or made up conspiracies.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:34 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Actually, the conservative movement is very concerned only about using whatever disinformation they can to stir up as much fear as they can in otherwise normal everyday people who only want what's best for their country, but aren't really sure exactly what that is. Fear is one of our oldest and most powerful emotions. Fear sells, and fear sticks. Fear-mongering is all that the right is doing. They have no intention of doing anything else.

Old 09-04-2009, 04:36 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I haven't seen too many posters claiming Obama can do no wrong. Just ones who claim he can do no right.
Then you have not been reading every post. There are plenty that are blind partisians and defend his every move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies