Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 04:17 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times

Advertisements

Why did Obama replaced a statue of Winston Churchill on one of the first days of him being in office by a statue of Marti Luther King? Wasn't it respectful (oops, that word is not in Obama's dictionary for him self, just for others) to add a statue of Martin Luther King?

I just read it in a foreign paper....and btw the president's popularity is plunging over seas as well!

Hommeles om Libië-deal - Buitenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [buitenland]

The newspaper is even starting again about the lousy gifts that Obama gave...so the mainstream media abroad is reporting different than overhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 04:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
This was in January or February.
The Churchill bust had been on loan to the White House since 9/11. The ABC News blog discusses the move and says, “The work, titled ‘Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968),’ is by celebrated African-American sculptor Charles Alston — the first African-American instructor at the Art Students League — who died in 1977.”

Another interesting thing about the King bust, from the ABC News blog:
When the Smithsonian lent the bust [of MLK] to the President Bill Clinton’s White House in 2000 to be displayed in the White House Library, that marked, believe it or not, the very first time that the image of an African-American was displayed in a public space in the White House…

…The King bust sits near the fireplace and adjacent a bust of President Abraham Lincoln, with the two legendary Americans facing President Obama when he sits at the HMS Resolute Desk.

Martin Luther King Jr. bust replaces Churchill in Oval Office | A Conversation about Race | STLtoday (http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/a-conversation-about-race/general-news/2009/03/martin-luther-king-jr-bust-replaces-churchill-in-oval-office/ - broken link)

Old 09-05-2009, 04:51 AM

If we were in a world war, an image of Churchill would be more relevant as an inspiration. But domestically in a relative peacetime, I think MLK fits very well.

Old 09-05-2009, 04:55 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If we were in a world war, an image of Churchill would be more relevant as an inspiration. But domestically in a relative peacetime, I think MLK fits very well.
I think the OP is more worried from an interior designer's veiwpoint.

Ya know, the "COLORS" might clash....get my drift?????

Old 09-05-2009, 05:03 AM

I do.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:09 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,445,432 times
Personally, I'm glad to see the bust of a great American replace the bust of a great Englishman. And I think it's especially appropriate to have King and Lincoln in the same room.

The OP seems overly concerned about Churchill and the opinions of those in other countries.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:09 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
I suspect the OP's only real interest is in a feeble attempt to re-spin an eight-month old non-stroy into yet another molehill of faux right-wing outrage.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:15 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Churchill and FDR working together saved the world from Hitler and his atrocities.
MLK went around and stirred up the black population and after many of his speeches the results ended up in burnings and chaos and riots.
I truly think what MLK was trying to do was honorable and I think that blacks (speaking in the terms used then) should be given the same opportunity to succeed as whites.
But too many black folks took it to extremes and degraded what MLK was trying to accomplish by wanting to change thngs instantly by force after hearing a message by a very inspirational speaker.
Churchill helped save the world from a barbarious murderer.
MLK tried to make things better for people of his own race. He didn't seem to want supremency for any certain race. He just wanted equality.
Can't blame him for trying.
He should have his statue to honor his dreams and hopes.
But his statue should never replace Churchills.
Hitler wanted world supremency. Just think what kind of lives black folks would be living today if Churchill hadn't helped stop Hitler.
Just goes to show ya where our president's priorties lie.
He can't seem to see the big picture of who did the best for the most.
Yes, I am white but I believe MLK should be honored for what he was trying to do.
But when you consider expections of better life to proven results for the good of all humanity, Churchills statue should stand tall and proud where it was originally and should never be replaced.
Just one more reason I think Obama has his own private agenda instead of doing what is best for ALL Americans.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally posted by GreenGene
Personally, I'm glad to see the bust of a great American replace the bust of a great Englishman. And I think it's especially appropriate to have King and Lincoln in the same room.

The OP seems overly concerned about Churchill and the opinions of those in other countries.
Churchill was a great man, but I see no problem with it. The civil rights movement is underrated by a lot of people in America. Including, apparently, the OP.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Churchill and FDR working together saved the world from Hitler and his atrocities.
MLK went around and stirred up the black population and after many of his speeches the results ended up in burnings and chaos and riots.
I truly think what MLK was trying to do was honorable and I think that blacks (speaking in the terms used then) should be given the same opportunity to succeed as whites.
But too many black folks took it to extremes and degraded what MLK was trying to accomplish by wanting to change thngs instantly by force after hearing a message by a very inspirational speaker.
Churchill helped save the world from a barbarious murderer.
MLK tried to make things better for people of his own race. He didn't seem to want supremency for any certain race. He just wanted equality.
Can't blame him for trying.
He should have his statue to honor his dreams and hopes.
But his statue should never replace Churchills.
Hitler wanted world supremency. Just think what kind of lives black folks would be living today if Churchill hadn't helped stop Hitler.
Just goes to show ya where our president's priorties lie.
He can't seem to see the big picture of who did the best for the most.
Yes, I am white but I believe MLK should be honored for what he was trying to do.
But when you consider expections of better life to proven results for the good of all humanity, Churchills statue should stand tall and proud where it was originally and should never be replaced.
Just one more reason I think Obama has his own private agenda instead of doing what is best for ALL Americans.
""""Just one more reason I think Obama has his own private agenda instead of doing what is best for ALL Americans""""

Could you name ONE President who DIDN'T have his own agenda?

And if you don't agree with it what has that to do with Churchill?

And what would Churchill do?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies