Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Good point bentlebee. The kids needing the most talking to about education are not in the classrooms; they are the older crowd 16-18 skipping school or already dropped out.

But, if you think about it, the President being on TV telling a 6th grader to stay in school will probably mean squat to that 6th grader.
Actually, the very ones to benefit the most are the kids from about 10-13 years of age. That is when they start "losing it" at school, and later on, they're so far behind they can't make it up. The younger ones can benefit from it, too. It's not that I think high schoolers are hopeless, but once they've made it that far, they're probably going to graduate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, the very ones to benefit the most are the kids from about 10-13 years of age. That is when they start "losing it" at school, and later on, they're so far behind they can't make it up. The younger ones can benefit from it, too. It's not that I think high schoolers are hopeless, but once they've made it that far, they're probably going to graduate.
Yes I agree with that; middle school is where they make it or break it.
When my son was in middle school they actually had some local business people come in; people the kids saw on a daily basis to talk about school and college and education and where it could get you.

Those were some smart teachers and counselors in my son's middle school and most of the parents were very appreciative of those efforts.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:57 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe Obama should talk to their parents...maybe some house calls ...instead of showinghis face on tv for a speech on a daily base...save one person see how many you can save!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:02 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,234,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Obama wants kids to write down (after he has changed from writing to him) their goals for later on....

This is disturbing to me because my kid just before the ending of the school year had to do the same in school...so why is this president wasting time on something the school already had the children do....doesn't he trust the school system to be good and is he thinking that he came up with a great idea of "change"?

To me this is wasting valuable time that he could spend on something that isn't a repeat from last year.

So PLEASE Mr. President start focusing on the economy and let us worry about our kids or maybe you should try to reach out to kids who aren't in school and start in Chicago since you wasted your time when you where a Senator and could have done that and showed us that you really had a accomplishment!
I think the President is not wasting time by doing this.

If this is televised in inner city schools, it might help inspire young minorities to stay in school and do good. After all, previous presidents did this too, addressed school children. I don't see the harm in it at all.

Old 09-05-2009, 03:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Maybe Obama should talk to their parents...maybe some house calls ...instead of showinghis face on tv for a speech on a daily base...save one person see how many you can save!
Oh, right! I can just imagine what the RW would say to THAT!

Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Shouldn't the title read: Why doesn't the government have a lot of trust in the school system?

Old 09-05-2009, 04:29 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
"The Government" and "The President" don't care what the kids do or don't do with this. Someone who worked on this developed a lesson plan that the teacher can choose to use or not.

Let me just say that if it's duplication of work that really concerns you then you would die a thousand deaths if you volunteered regularly in your kids classroom.

This is a non issue.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:17 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
"The Government" and "The President" don't care what the kids do or don't do with this. Someone who worked on this developed a lesson plan that the teacher can choose to use or not.

Let me just say that if it's duplication of work that really concerns you then you would die a thousand deaths if you volunteered regularly in your kids classroom.

This is a non issue.
That's what everyone in history said a few years before their country became a fascist state.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:20 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,858,867 times
BO won't even send his kids to the government schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies