Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 01:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I am about 14 years from Social Security my friend!
Thats fine. Social Security is still a form of Welfare.

And like I said - I will not collect SS - I cannot collect SS - I withdrew from it years ago - and damn glad I did. I am MUCH BETTER OFF without it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 01:40 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
He lied.........just like all the rest...
Maybe you are right. I don't know. Right now I feel like I have been fooled and used. I worked my ass off to get this man in there. I put over 150 hours in his campaign. I cannot even count how many damn doors I knocked on for him. I could have used my weekends and evenings doing something else. Quite frankly I really did not expect any benefit for me because I am too gawddamned old. I did it for my kids and their kids in hopes that maybe life would be better for them.
I also gave his campaign money- $325 in all. Not much but for a working guy, more than I have ever given to any other candidate. If I had known I was being fooled and suckerd, I could have got myself a nice pair of workboots and maybe an Ipod for my little girl.
I had lots of arguments with people at work and even in my extended family about this man when he ran. I argued that he really was going to be a "change" President much the way Reagan was a "change" President. I said "oh this guy is gonna be different for sure". I never said that about Bill Clinton. And they all said "he ain't gonna do excrement for anybody but big business just like Bush and just like McCain".
And they were right. And they let me know they were right. In fact my cousin in Colorado just said "how's all the change going for you?" the other day.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
You lefties must realize this is still a center-right country. The electorate decided to take a chance on an unknown who ran as a moderate. With all the was going on at the time - media manufactured unpopular president, 2 wars, supposed financial crisis - the man only won by 6%.

His victory was not a mandate to jerk the country to the far left - even though the liberals thought it would be. Alone, the liberal sement can't elect anyone on the national stage.

Based on the latest polls, conservatives from both parties make up 40%+ of the electorate. They are not interested in the direction obama the radical leftist wants to take this country.

A glimmer of hope - he is sure to lose seats for the democratic majority in teh house and senate.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:04 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You lefties must realize this is still a center-right country. The electorate decided to take a chance on an unknown who ran as a moderate. With all the was going on at the time - media manufactured unpopular president, 2 wars, supposed financial crisis - the man only won by 6%.

His victory was not a mandate to jerk the country to the far left - even though the liberals thought it would be. Alone, the liberal sement can't elect anyone on the national stage.

Based on the latest polls, conservatives from both parties make up 40%+ of the electorate. They are not interested in the direction obama the radical leftist wants to take this country.

A glimmer of hope - he is sure to lose seats for the democratic majority in teh house and senate.
It is a center left country.

Old 09-05-2009, 05:30 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,937,590 times
Sorry Kev, but you are wrong. That is clearly showing in the polls as obama is bleeding those all important indies. Virtually everything he has done, a majority of the public has been against it - bailouts, stimulus, budget, government takeover of HC, Cap and Trade - the public is fed up with the government spending money it doesn't have.

Considering liberals only make up about 22% of the electorate, where conservatives make up over 40%, it is the indies who decide elections. This year they decided to take a chance on a slogan - "HopeNchange". They are having buyers remorse - big time.

You do realize that the exit polls show obama garnered approx 25% of the conservative vote?

Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sorry Kev, but you are wrong. That is clearly showing in the polls as obama is bleeding those all important indies. Virtually everything he has done, a majority of the public has been against it - bailouts, stimulus, budget, government takeover of HC, Cap and Trade - the public is fed up with the government spending money it doesn't have.

Considering liberals only make up about 22% of the electorate, where conservatives make up over 40%, it is the indies who decide elections. This year they decided to take a chance on a slogan - "HopeNchange". They are having buyers remorse - big time.

You do realize that the exit polls show obama garnered approx 25% of the conservative vote?
Sure... the public supports spending over $3 TRILLION in Iraq and Afghanistan but we don't dare spend a penny on health care, infrastructure or education here at home.

Do you realize that the US will spend hundreds of billions of dollars building roads and bridges in Iraq and Afghanistan over the next few years? We have already spent $12 Billion rebuilding their oil industry alone. We have and will continue to build schools, airports, bridges, highways, etc..., all without reimbursement. They are spending less than 2% of their oil revenues on their own infrastructure preferring instead to pass the cost to the American taxpayer.

Let's invest here instead.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:37 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Well since you have seen fit to personally attack me and accuse me of being on welfare, I would only ask you this- who are you going to give us to vote for in 3 years?
Wait, so now wanting things like national healthcare is not considered welfare and is deemed a personal attack? Really? You might want to rethink your argument because it sounds pretty silly to say someone is personally attacking you for wanting handouts like national healthcare (which is a welfare program) that you do indeed support..
Quote:
Palin? Another Bush? Somebody 74 years old and useless like McCain? Just who do you have in mind? Nobody in your party is worth a piece of chicken excrement. Nobody has any ideas except to shout NO NO NO at those who do.
GOOD, I want federal candidates that shout NO NO NO.. PLEASE give me a candidate and a party which will stand on the highest mountain top and proclaim NO EVERYTIME.. The federal government has NO legal authority to do most of what they do. Most of those obligations fall to the state.

Old 09-06-2009, 01:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Sure... the public supports spending over $3 TRILLION in Iraq and Afghanistan but we don't dare spend a penny on health care, infrastructure or education here at home.
Are you proclaiming that we gave Iraq national health insurance? Wow, I didnt know that.. hows that working out?

As for health care, infrastructure or education in america, STATE obligations..

Old 09-06-2009, 01:43 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There are blue dog Democrats that are just like all their Republican counterparts in the House and Senate: Bought and paid for.

Lobby groups and campaign contributions are paying off.
What about the lobby groups and campaign contributions of the left? Is it your premise they are not as powerful? I know how hard it must be for you to face the reality..................Charles Krauthammer - Obama's Magic Evaporates in the Heat of the Health-Reform Debate

Old 09-06-2009, 01:48 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Are you proclaiming that we gave Iraq national health insurance? Wow, I didnt know that.. hows that working out?

As for health care, infrastructure or education in america, STATE obligations..
Actually, yes. We did help the Iraqis establish a national health care system. And we continue to spend billions "improving" the Iraqi health care system. We build hospitals, train and pay providers, give immunizations, etc... all for free because going to the hospital in Iraq is free.

Here is just one example of what the US is doing to provide health care for all Iraqis:

USAID: Assistance for Iraq - Health (http://www.usaid.gov/iraq/accomplishments/health.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies