Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:35 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,327,347 times

Advertisements

If the Dems don't stop giving up ground to the GOP on issues like health care, the war, credit reform, student loans etc..., then there is no point in voting for Democrats. Why should I vote for a party that doesn't deliver on its promises, but still raises my taxes to pay for programs that I don't support?

If I wanted health reform without a public option, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to continue, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted no credit card lending reform, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted my tax money to be used to pay bonuses on Wall Street, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted to continue the status quote on student loan policy, I would have voted for McCain.

But I didn't vote for McCain. I voted for Obama and I still got McCain.

How the Dems can't pass the legislation they promised when we handed them a SUPER-MAJORITY in congress and the presidency is beyond me, but whatever the reason, it's totally inexcusable. They deserve to lose in 2010. I hope the blue dog's seats and for that matter many of the "safe" seats are lost. Maybe then they will get the message that if you dump all over your base and go back on ALL of your campaign promises you can't retain power. The GOP learned that lesson in 2006 and it's time to teach it to the Dems now.

I'll give you one guess as to how I will vote next time around...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 08:47 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default You are not seeing the bigger picture..

They are not giving in to the Republican politicians; they are giving in to the citizens who are the ones in revolt. They could care less about what someone in their 'club' thinks, this is how politics work. They are giving in because they see the masses of people who are protesting for something that is not even a law yet. I must assume that if they fear this upswell at this stage, they will surely not want to face it by going along with the extreme left's vision for America.

And for what it's worth, it is not only Republicans. There are masses of fiscally minded Democrats as well who don't agree with the policies that lead to so much spending.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:59 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
If the Dems don't stop giving up ground to the GOP on issues like health care, the war, credit reform, student loans etc..., then there is no point in voting for Democrats. Why should I vote for a party that doesn't deliver on its promises, but still raises my taxes to pay for programs that I don't support?

If I wanted health reform without a public option, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan to continue, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted no credit card lending reform, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted my tax money to be used to pay bonuses on Wall Street, I would have voted for McCain.

If I wanted to continue the status quote on student loan policy, I would have voted for McCain.

But I didn't vote for McCain. I voted for Obama and I still got McCain.

How the Dems can't pass the legislation they promised when we handed them a SUPER-MAJORITY in congress and the presidency is beyond me, but whatever the reason, it's totally inexcusable. They deserve to lose in 2010. I hope the blue dog's seats and for that matter many of the "safe" seats are lost. Maybe then they will get the message that if you dump all over your base and go back on ALL of your campaign promises you can't retain power. The GOP learned that lesson in 2006 and it's time to teach it to the Dems now.

I'll give you one guess as to how I will vote next time around...
Ditto that! I am so unhappy at all of them right now. See my other thread about Obama acting like Rodney King. I did not elect him to "get along". He was elected to give us the change we need. So far he has given us chump change.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:02 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
There are blue dog Democrats that are just like all their Republican counterparts in the House and Senate: Bought and paid for.

Apparently, this group has emerged from the healthcare debate as united enough and powerful enough to defeat healthcare reform that Americans want.

Unfortunately, bussed in crazies to townhalls have dominated news cycles, the argument has been hijacked from healthcare to gun toting nutjobs holding signs and screaming and the thought of real reform is slipping away.

Lobby groups and campaign contributions are paying off.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
They are not giving in to the Republican politicians; they are giving in to the citizens who are the ones in revolt. They could care less about what someone in their 'club' thinks, this is how politics work. They are giving in because they see the masses of people who are protesting for something that is not even a law yet. I must assume that if they fear this upswell at this stage, they will surely not want to face it by going along with the extreme left's vision for America.

And for what it's worth, it is not only Republicans. There are masses of fiscally minded Democrats as well who don't agree with the policies that lead to so much spending.
That's bull. The "revolt" is by a small number of right wing radicals NONE of whom voted for the Democrats in the first place and never will. They are being directed by radical right talk radio and even their employers to make this look like a grassroots thing which it is not and the Democrats are smart enough to know it is not. Most Democrats know too well that Bush spent like a drunk in a Singapore ***** house and the right always excused it just as they did when Reagan did it. So we really don't want to hear from them now.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There are blue dog Democrats that are just like all their Republican counterparts in the House and Senate: Bought and paid for.

Apparently, this group has emerged from the healthcare debate as united enough and powerful enough to defeat healthcare reform that Americans want.

Unfortunately, bussed in crazies to townhalls have dominated news cycles, the argument has been hijacked from healthcare to gun toting nutjobs holding signs and screaming and the thought of real reform is slipping away.

Lobby groups and campaign contributions are paying off.
If healthcare goes down, the Democrats go down with it. It is that simple.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:06 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
So, I guess some people haven't been paying much attention (any at all, actually) to issues such as credit card reform, executive salaries, and student loan reform that they profess to care so passionately about. I guess they haven't listened to any of Obama's long-stated plans re Iraq and Afghanistan either.

Meanwhile, the administration promised Congress (Kent Conrad, principally) that it would continue to drive down the path toward bipartisan health care legislation at least through October 15. After that, all bets are off. The clock is ticking...

Old 09-05-2009, 09:08 AM

Default I disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
That's bull. The "revolt" is by a small number of right wing radicals NONE of whom voted for the Democrats in the first place and never will. They are being directed by radical right talk radio and even their employers to make this look like a grassroots thing which it is not and the Democrats are smart enough to know it is not. Most Democrats know too well that Bush spent like a drunk in a Singapore ***** house and the right always excused it just as they did when Reagan did it. So we really don't want to hear from them now.
Some may see only a small number of people protesting, but then one has to consider their news sources. Read this interesting article (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/blogs/beltway-confidential/The-Van-Jones-non-feeding-non-frenzy-57271402.html - broken link). If people only see the news through the prism of those who are in the tank for the President, what else would you expect?

Old 09-05-2009, 09:12 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,115,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post

There are no masses of people protesting. The corporate run media is just showing you the lunatic fringe. FYI...Obama was elected by a majority that voted for him based on the promise of healthcare reform, hence, the majority still want a public option. Use common sense.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 AM

Default Is 7% a majority these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
There are no masses of people protesting. The corporate run media is just showing you the lunatic fringe. FYI...Obama was elected by a majority that voted for him based on the promise of healthcare reform, hence, the majority still want a public option. Use common sense.
I agree, he was elected on the promise change; he campaigned on the promise of change from the center, but once he got in and circumvented the checks and balances by appointing advisors with extreme left views, and came up with massive spending plans, well, people sat back and wondered who they voted in, he is not now what he seemed to be in November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies