Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times

Advertisements

Not that I have to worry about the school issue right now, but I'd be a lot more inclined to send my kids to private schools if I lived somewhere where property taxes are not outrageous and I wasn't losing much by not using the services those taxes pay for. Where I live, property taxes are outrageous which not only creates the incentive to try to at least get some of it back, but makes it that much more difficult for people to provide for their family without depending on government.

If I could opt out of a good portion of my property taxes for each year my kids went to private school, I would. As soon as I have to worry about the issue, I will have to seriously consider packing up and moving 70 miles north to Milwaukee. Property taxes up there are even more outrageous than here, but at least in Milwaukee you can take a good chunk of your money to a private school if that's your prerogative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here's New Jersey's mandate, shorebaby:

http://www.state.nj.us/education/genfo/penj.pdf

dcadca, I don't know what state you're in, but you can google, too.

Actually, I have no problems with anybody using public education. That was not my point. It's not free to the taxpayers, but parents are not charged for their kids' education, in any state.
Non sense, NJ has the highest property taxes in the country. That is how we pay for schools. Parents are charged for their childrens education in some instances twice. I am forced to pay the school tax as part of my property tax and then I pay for private school because my local public is so pathetic. It is insulting to suggest that parents do not pay for school. They may not show up with a check and hand it to the school but they certainly do via property tax.

The Tax Foundation - Tax Research Areas > New Jersey

Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
It is a great example of the liberal mentality, to think that education is "free".

Old 09-07-2009, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Here you go sanrene. You guys simply don't get my point, or you don't want to admit that you do.

Illinois Constitution - Article X

Education in public schools through the secondary level shall
be free.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:32 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
No. Always the Catholic school system. The fact that I have to pay for "public education" that we never use is irritating. I would much rather use the money for additional scholarships to the catholic schools so that at least the money would be well spent and other kids would get a good education as well. I already provide several scholarships for that purpose.
Just because the school's Catholic doesn't mean it's any good. I went to a Catholic High School and the dropout rate was high and the unwed single mother rate was even higher than at public schools. In my graduating class, only about 1/5 of us have or are going to graduate from college and you'd be surprised how many of the others have spent time or are currently spending time in jail/prison.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Here you go sanrene. You guys simply don't get my point, or you don't want to admit that you do.

Illinois Constitution - Article X

Education in public schools through the secondary level shall
be free.

Ok Katiana, lets try this. If you own a home in a school district and do not pay taxes what will happen? That's right you will loose your home. You will no longer be allowed to go to school in that district because you do not have an address in that district. OK now lets move on to rentals. If you fail to pay your rent what will happen? that's right you will be evicted and no longer able to go to school in that district since you no longer have an address in that district. Nothing is free, your links not withstanding. the teachers don't work for free, the buildings aren't free, buses aren't free, you get the picture. Taxes pay for these things. If schools did not exist would our taxes be higher or lower? That's right lower, so they do cost something, they are not free!

Another way to look at it is if you do not own or rent in a given school district you cannot go that school unless you pay (at least in NJ) if there is space available. So in order to go to school in a given district you MUST own or rent, therefore you are paying property tax one way or another.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:37 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
For the self-proclaimed "greatest nation on earth" America has extreme difficulties with education and healthcare. But we lead where it counts: we have more blinking, flashing neon lights than anybody, and we have more bombs than anyone!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
For the self-proclaimed "greatest nation on earth" America has extreme difficulties with education and healthcare. But we lead where it counts: we have more blinking, flashing neon lights than anybody, and we have more bombs than anyone!
Not exactly we are number one in many areas, very interesting read.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/us.html

Old 09-07-2009, 11:01 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Catholic schools perform 25% better on standardized tests...

Home schooled students perform 75% better than public school kids on standardized tests....
Do you have a link for these claims?

What does 75% better mean? If public school kids get a 70% average grade then home schoolers get a 122% average grade? (70*1.75=122). Man, those home schoolers are geniuses.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quality of education varies among public schools, among private schools, and among home schoolers. My children went to a religious private school that was horrible - they are now in a public school, are happier, get better grades, better teachers, qualified teachers, and a better education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies