Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:36 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,672,077 times

Advertisements

Oh, I just caught on to the thread and didnt want to read through 11 pages!! I think obviously some Unions are good and some not. We lucked out, even though work is bad right now, we still have our benefits and he is able to come and go from it when needed as long as his dues are paid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 10:42 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Oh, I just caught on to the thread and didnt want to read through 11 pages!! I think obviously some Unions are good and some not. We lucked out, even though work is bad right now, we still have our benefits and he is able to come and go from it when needed as long as his dues are paid.
It's a good thread to pour over, at least in my opinon....

Old 09-07-2009, 11:04 PM

711 posts, read 933,257 times
Smile Corporate Attitudes = Real Corruption

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Labor Unions See Sharp Slide in U.S. Public Support

For first time, fewer than half of Americans approve of labor unions

Horrible numbers for the unions, but not surprising.

They are corrupt through and through and most recognize they are nothing more now than an arm of the democratic party.
I'm not sure your stats. are accurate, however I imagine a mean spirited troll would also be out of favor of most Americans.

Many times when the "union" subject is posted we predictibly get the replies that indicate that unions were needed at one time but their day is long gone.

Since labor/management issues are largely a matter of fairness and human nature in general it must be assumed that such commenters believe that our management and others in general are now less greedy, more humanitarian and less addicted to the bottom line and excesses.

The societal issues facing America and the disloyalty of corporate America belie the comments that unions are unneccessary. If any other segment of America would turn their backs on their own to benefit their bottom line and other countries, the accusations of pink and red would come flowing forth and the word un-American would quickly be applied.

In my view those who abandon American workers should also be abandoned and their goods and/or services banned from our American shores.

When human nature is in fact improved and the many other vital issues finally settled, then and only then can we say only one voice should be heard and the voice of the union is no longer needed. I don't expect this to occur any time soon.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,493,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Well, i belong to the UAW.

We're talking about unions in general.

Well... not exaclty something to be proud of these days you know. No offense to you, but the UAW is a large example of what is wrong with the Unions today... So much whining and complaining about things that others have had to do without since the beginning of manufacturing.

I for one am in no support of any union except the Teachers Unions and they need help.... and I for one am a Democrat... I truly don't belive they go hand and hand anymore.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:02 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMD67 View Post
Well... not exaclty something to be proud of these days you know. No offense to you, but the UAW is a large example of what is wrong with the Unions today... So much whining and complaining about things that others have had to do without since the beginning of manufacturing.

I for one am in no support of any union except the Teachers Unions and they need help.... and I for one am a Democrat... I truly don't belive they go hand and hand anymore.
Please, i'm all ears as to what's wrong with unions nowadays. Please be descriptive in your remarks.

Also, if i may add, is what exactly others have to do without since the beginning of manufacturing?

Enlitghen my morbid curiousity.....

Old 09-08-2009, 12:10 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
There was / is a Union in California that represents grocery store workers. When the contract was about to expire, negotiations were started on a new contract. Wages, Health Insurance, Seniority - things like that were discussed.

The Union made some really high wage demands (along with some other outrageous demands) that was rejected by the Store (Von's aka Safeway) and the Union called for a strike.

The Strike went on for months - with substitute workers taking their place.

When the strike was settled, the workers ended up getting LESS per hour than the other contract, they ended up paying MORE for their health insurance. Many of the workers lost their homes, cars etc because of no pay. But, they did go back to work.

Then they found out that the President of the Union bought HIMSELF a brand new Mercedes 500 class with union funds.

Yep - Unions are great for the workers! NOT!!!!!

Old 09-08-2009, 03:09 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluskyz View Post
I'm not sure your stats. are accurate, however I imagine a mean spirited troll would also be out of favor of most Americans.

Many times when the "union" subject is posted we predictibly get the replies that indicate that unions were needed at one time but their day is long gone.

Since labor/management issues are largely a matter of fairness and human nature in general it must be assumed that such commenters believe that our management and others in general are now less greedy, more humanitarian and less addicted to the bottom line and excesses.

The societal issues facing America and the disloyalty of corporate America belie the comments that unions are unneccessary. If any other segment of America would turn their backs on their own to benefit their bottom line and other countries, the accusations of pink and red would come flowing forth and the word un-American would quickly be applied.

In my view those who abandon American workers should also be abandoned and their goods and/or services banned from our American shores.

When human nature is in fact improved and the many other vital issues finally settled, then and only then can we say only one voice should be heard and the voice of the union is no longer needed. I don't expect this to occur any time soon.
Excellent post and I share the highlighted view wholeheartedly.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 PM

327 posts, read 968,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Unions are losing members at a quick clip.

Unions are basically unnecessary today - and workers have figured that out.
Check it out, Greatday

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/union2.pdf

Old 09-08-2009, 03:41 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There was / is a Union in California that represents grocery store workers. When the contract was about to expire, negotiations were started on a new contract. Wages, Health Insurance, Seniority - things like that were discussed.

The Union made some really high wage demands (along with some other outrageous demands) that was rejected by the Store (Von's aka Safeway) and the Union called for a strike.

The Strike went on for months - with substitute workers taking their place.

When the strike was settled, the workers ended up getting LESS per hour than the other contract, they ended up paying MORE for their health insurance. Many of the workers lost their homes, cars etc because of no pay. But, they did go back to work.

Then they found out that the President of the Union bought HIMSELF a brand new Mercedes 500 class with union funds.

Yep - Unions are great for the workers! NOT!!!!!
Typical of someone who would side with corporate America against its workers, your post is a misrepresentation of the facts. This strike was primarily about Wal-Mart's aggressive move into the grocery business with its low-wage workforce in direct competition with Von's. There were no outrageous wage demands made.

NewsHour Extra : Supermarket Workers Strike -- October 27, 2003

Southern California Supermarket strike of 2003-2004 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The settlement was the inevitable result in this new America where workers have little hope of even maintaining what they once had. Good paying jobs have gone off shore or are just gone.

Now, I personally don't support demands that employers bear the full cost of health care, but nonetheless this story is generally just another one of many where workers are taking it on the chin. Saying goodbye to a middle class life so that the wealth of the few at the top of the corporate food chain can climb to even more obscene heights.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:53 PM

327 posts, read 968,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedman View Post
Unions still exist because they are businesses trying to make a profit.
I love it when pro union folks want to talk about how horrible businesses are, except for labor unions. The CEO of the UAW makes millions a year, of course he wants to convince people they will be taken advantage of unless they vote in his union. What the hell is wrong with people.
Actually, Ron Gettlefinger's (president of United Auto Workers) annual income was reported by Parade Magazine as $155,000. The article was recently published within the last 3-6 months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies