Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2009, 04:59 AM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times

Advertisements

Apotheken vallen om - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

Not many can read the link and article, I understand , but it is stating that since the government is interfering with many medications more and more pharmacies have o close their doors. That is what you get if free markets are gone...you think the person needing the medication is the big winner because the costs went down...think twice. Where do you go next. The government won't allow you to go online and order any where your medication, no they will have you drive further and further and the waiting time to get your medications will be longer.

In The Netherlands we waited many times for a hour or longer to get just a regaular prescription to be filled. It takes so long because one person has to put everything in the computer, than another will fill it and another one has to check it and put a label on it, which can be done fast if you have enough employees working there, but that is costing too much. My pharmacy was even in the same building as the physician and many times the doctor would put the presciption in the computer so I just had to mention it at the pharmacy and having to wait for a long time...after having to wait for over a hour the doctor's office....But the upset is...you get paid by your employer if you go to the doctor! Isn't it great for lazy people..well the down side is that costs are rising and taxes became higher to pay for all this and if you above 23 you are old to obtain a job...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 05:12 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Apotheken vallen om - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

Not many can read the link and article, I understand , but it is stating that since the government is interfering with many medications more and more pharmacies have o close their doors. That is what you get if free markets are gone...you think the person needing the medication is the big winner because the costs went down...think twice. Where do you go next. The government won't allow you to go online and order any where your medication, no they will have you drive further and further and the waiting time to get your medications will be longer.

In The Netherlands we waited many times for a hour or longer to get just a regaular prescription to be filled. It takes so long because one person has to put everything in the computer, than another will fill it and another one has to check it and put a label on it, which can be done fast if you have enough employees working there, but that is costing too much. My pharmacy was even in the same building as the physician and many times the doctor would put the presciption in the computer so I just had to mention it at the pharmacy and having to wait for a long time...after having to wait for over a hour the doctor's office....But the upset is...you get paid by your employer if you go to the doctor! Isn't it great for lazy people..well the down side is that costs are rising and taxes became higher to pay for all this and if you above 23 you are old to obtain a job...
Goodness, you are a dissatisfied person. Paid by your employer to go to the doctor, but that's for lazy people.... cant get a job if you're over 23... "they will have you drive further and further"....

If no one is in front of you at the pharmacy and the doctor calls in your prescription, and it still takes over an hour to fill your prescription, I really dont see how the government is to blame for that.

Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Goodness, you are a dissatisfied person. Paid by your employer to go to the doctor, but that's for lazy people.... cant get a job if you're over 23... "they will have you drive further and further"....

If no one is in front of you at the pharmacy and the doctor calls in your prescription, and it still takes over an hour to fill your prescription, I really dont see how the government is to blame for that.
Because everything is paid by the government which makes the work go slower than when small business people are working their b.. off to keep their customers happy!

Example...if you are a hair dresser for example. You get paid for the diploma's you have. You get a automatic raise every year you get older until the age of 23 and from their on you stay on that salary. No commission paid stylists....they have a union!
So when you are an employer you pay the highest amount for a person who is 23 or older. Most of them are woman, who can and will become pregnant and have 18 weeks paid leave of absence due to their pregnancy and if they get the baby later than after 8 weeks they still get 8 weeks off, after they gave birth.
So if you hire a 16 or 17 year old the chances that they will get pregnant are less and you pay less. Many quit when they are in their twenties and you won't see stylists in their 50ties working in Europe. The aount of soc. taxes (health care, income taxes, etc.) are very high for an employer so nobody will hire a stylist who is 23 or older unless they can't find a younger one, but they are still out there.
They get 25 days off for vacation, all paid for...sounds great isn't it...if you like it move there...but there is another side which I can explain another time!

Old 09-06-2009, 05:40 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,138,717 times
Thank you for explaining, bentlebee, that's interesting to know. When I think of a hairdresser in Europe I always think of Emil's mother in Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kastner, lol.

What you're concerned about wont be the case here, though, dont worry. Independent pharmacies have much more to worry about from Wal-mart and other huge chains undercutting drug prices.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you for explaining, bentlebee, that's interesting to know. When I think of a hairdresser in Europe I always think of Emil's mother in Emil and the Detectives by Erich Kastner, lol.

What you're concerned about wont be the case here, though, dont worry. Independent pharmacies have much more to worry about from Wal-mart and other huge chains undercutting drug prices.
That will be over if the government steps in...no more small business pharmacies...only government run ones and they don't care about lines and waiting...look at cash for clunkers, how many dealers got their money?
What happens next, the dealers get mad and aren't as joyful as before and the next time you come in you find another kind of person working there...that is what happened to Europe. The unions have made sure that many people can't do business as before and people loose their drive and energy.

Obama will start with unions after he has the health care bill signed...he is folowing a pattern of distruction that we have seen in Europe and no way of turning back, so people should know what they sign off when this bill is signed.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:40 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Independent pharmacies have much more to worry about from Wal-mart and other huge chains undercutting drug prices.
And how long do you think those independents will last when others are subsized or win government bids and become mega monopolies like Walmart ?

Old 09-06-2009, 10:45 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,903,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
... In The Netherlands we waited many times for a hour or longer to get just a regaular prescription to be filled. ...
Not that it matters really, but I want to go to the Netherlands ..

Try filling a script over at Walgreens ... go in to have it filled at 11 and Walgreens tells you to come back at 3 to pick it up ... go figure.

Old 09-06-2009, 10:46 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Well, this European has the opposite experience, for what it's worth.

Not so much about it taking an hour to fill a prescription - it does, but the local CVS or Walgreen's over here take about that long, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee
My pharmacy was even in the same building as the physician and many times the doctor would put the presciption in the computer so I just had to mention it at the pharmacy and having to wait for a long time...after having to wait for over a hour the doctor's office...
Sounds like great service, to be honest. I am not aware of any US pharmacy that has instant prescription filling.

On the other hand, I've never encountered a US physician using a computer to communicate a prescription - it's paper. And it gets messed up all the freakin' time. ("No, the doctor didn't fax that in yet." Call the doctor. "Their fax must be broken." Call the pharmacy...)

Of course, if it's a regular prescription, my health insurance won't let me pick a pharmacy at all. I can do their mail-order pharmacy, or I can pay full price. (I am a salaried employee with a Fortune 500 company, and my health plan is through a major carrier - this isn't rinky-dink insurance, I am supposedly well covered.)

I have received excellent care in Europe and the US alike. But having encountered the US system from the insde, I am not at all surprised it has the highest administration costs anywhere. because the amount of paperwork (with no relation to actual care, just coverage) is staggering.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:02 AM

30 posts, read 59,210 times
[quote=bentlebee;10631599]Apotheken vallen om - Binnenland - Telegraaf.nl [24 uur actueel, ook mobiel] [binnenland]

But the upset is...you get paid by your employer if you go to the doctor! quote]

Wow... I'm form the Netherlands but I have to pay for my healtcare (everyone has to). Can you tell me in what Wonderfull part of The Netherlans is. Me and all the other inhabitants want to move there.. Or did you mistake it for NeverNeverland?

Old 09-07-2009, 04:22 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And how long do you think those independents will last when others are subsized or win government bids and become mega monopolies like Walmart ?

Enter lobbyists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies