Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I often hear people say "Congress isn't listening to us." I'm not sure if that means:

1. Congress doesn't react to protests or rallies
2. Congress doesn't respond at all to one-on-one contacts
3. Contact responses people receive shows the member of Congress isn't listening to the issue(s) presented by the constituent.

How many people here actually call, write to or e-mail their US Senators or their House Representative with other than a form letter suggested by some organized group?

What was the last issue on which you contacted one of them and did you receive a response?

Did you say you oppose/support the ABC part of a particular bill but received a canned response that says the Senator/Rep will work hard on the XYZ part of the bill? In other words, did the response address your concerns or just spout the Senator's/Rep's position either on the bill, in general, or spout the Senator's/Rep's position on the piece of the bill that concerns what THEY are for or against without regard to your concerns expressed in your contact?
I emailed my Rep , MICHELLE (Ms Joe McCarthy WhackJob ) BACHMANN

and scolded "Church Lady" for lying about having a choice with Obama's health care plan.

Gee, the B never responded !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 08:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I thought it was odd that my rep doesn't have a link to e-mail him on his web site. I had to send snail mail and he sent me a form letter back.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:02 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
My Rep is known for writing people who disagree with him angry letters no matter how cordial they may have been.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
I e-mailed my Representative, Senators, and sent a message through whitehouse.gov last month regarding health care. In the e-mail form I did not request a response from one senator, but I did hear back from the other two (there was no way to opt out of a response). Also, I have to give props to my conservative representative (McCotter) who I disagree with 99.9% of the time (and will probably never vote for). When my friend was in town, one of his interns gave us an amazing tour of the capital building. I was extremely impressed with how helpful and awesome his office was.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,440,877 times
I've been phoning weekly, emailing, faxing and snail-mailing my representatives about health care reform for the past month. Barbara Boxer just snail-mailed a form letter reply.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
I wrote my representatives and told them that I will vote against them if they vote for Cap and Trade legislation.

I'm a man of my word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies