Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 12:11 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
^ Way to generalize and lump all union members into those pretty anti labor buzzwords "inefficient and lazy" You know I work for a non union company and i can replace the words they have seniority in this line "....it's a nightmare of over payed lazy idiots who know they can't be fired because they have seniority" with;

they are the bosses son or other family member
they are the bosses buddy
they are the bosses lover
they are brown nosers

But hey its easier to blame labor for trying to balance the playing field.
Yeah, we must remember that no matter who the boss is he is the one that is paying the check of every worker. He has no rights at all, and sure can't get by with giving good jobs to his family members.

You need to try to hear the Obama speech that just concluded in Ohio talking to AFofL - CIO members at their annual Labor Day picnic. It sounded just like any other union rally and was made up of so much Pelosi but was very acceptable to union members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 12:25 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,382,068 times
My aunt used to work at Fisher Body and would always brag about how she could easily take half the year off and nobody could touch her. That's efficiency for you

and of course there are exceptions, but union bullied companies as a whole are generally extremely inefficient. Yes there are some bosses without morals, but that usually only applies to one or a couple employees, not the whole freaking company. I think it would be ideal if everyone at the company was the boss's favorite.

Last edited by rd2007; 09-07-2009 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-07-2009, 01:42 PM

479 posts, read 879,146 times
I see you are From S.A. Texas, are the players from the Spurs extremely inefficient union members? They look quite efficient to me when I watch them. A union doesn't encourage laziness people are lazy in non union shop environments as well.
There is absolutely abuse from members that comes with some unions but to pretend that its members are untouchable is wrong.You just have to build a case "just cause" which is in response to mgmt firing employees in bad faith or non work related activity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
My aunt used to work at Fisher Body and would always brag about how she could easily take half the year off and nobody could touch her. That's efficiency for you

and of course there are exceptions, but union bullied companies as a whole are generally extremely inefficient. Yes there are some bosses without morals, but that usually only applies to one or a couple employees, not the whole freaking company. I think it would be ideal if everyone at the company was the boss's favorite.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:48 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
^ Way to generalize and lump all union members into those pretty anti labor buzzwords "inefficient and lazy" You know I work for a non union company and i can replace the words they have seniority in this line "....it's a nightmare of over payed lazy idiots who know they can't be fired because they have seniority" with;

they are the bosses son or other family member
they are the bosses buddy
they are the bosses lover
they are brown nosers

But hey its easier to blame labor for trying to balance the playing field.
Oh I see, you are looking for a fair world, cool, let me know when you find it with a union.

Unions exist to to force employers to compensate employees more than they are worth.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:09 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Coastalrap
Oh I see, you are looking for a fair world, cool, let me know when you find it with a union.

Unions exist to to force employers to compensate employees more than they are worth.
Only when they take things too far. And some do. But that's not why they came into existence.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:27 PM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Only when they take things too far. And some do. But that's not why they came into existence.

Absolutely, there was a need when they came into existence, but no longer.

They came into existence at a time when belonging to a gang was as close to a necessity as there could be. To be included and protected, almost all youth at that time joined a gang. I guess joining a union was an easy transition. Some things never change.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:54 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I live in a right-to-work state (NC). Obviously it works as our population in the Raleigh area is roughly four times greater than it was just 25 years ago. It is real simple; if a company is mistreating/exploiting you, you go to work for someone else. Companies that mistreat/exploit their workers around here do not stay in business very long.
I have a lot of family members in unions up north (OHIO) and when speaking to them about it, it comes across as a protection scheme to allow for a bare minimum of production while still retaining your employment. Of course, not everyone takes that attitude, but plenty of people follow the path of least resistance in life, and that includes work ethic. In those cases, where is the protection for the employer (shareholders) in getting adequate value for their money spent?
Just fyi...I grew up in a RTW state, and have little first hand knowledge of union function. My statements are only observations, not condemnations.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:41 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
Michiganians back right-to-work idea | detnews.com | The Detroit News (http://www.detnews.com/article/20090907/OPINION01/909070305/1008/opinion01/Michiganians-back-right-to-work-idea - broken link)

Go for it! Nuke the unions!
Nuke the unions?!

Is this the same crowd demanding to nuke the Middle East or turn it into a sheet of glass to something of that effect? Do like-minded people run in the same cirlces?

Boy, oh boy! What wonders will an extra chromosome will do for you!

Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,479,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Wow...I never thought I'd see the day. While I totally support workers' rights (including the right to unionize) I'm uncomfortable with making people join a union as a condition of employment. It just never sat well with me.

It's clear though that something needs to change. Not just in Michigan, but the whole Rust Belt region.
When i first started, i was opposed to exactly that -- having to pay dues when i was a temp worker.

My analogy in reference to paying dues as a condition to employment is this -- an American has to pay taxes whether he/she wants to or not when living in this country.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:11 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Anecdote:

FedeX (non Union) deliveryman - rings doorbell, knocks on front door, leaves package by front door, drives away.

UPS (union) deliveryman - comes out of truck, drops box, kicks box three times, picks up box, drops it by front door, drives away.

(I was so shocked and stunned, that I failed to note the truck's ID number to file a complaint with UPS about their driver. )

My (subjective) conclusion - Union v. non-Union, non-Union service is superior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies