Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times

Advertisements

the most bizarre thing. unions are the only people fighting for the little guy. its the only reason france did not drown under foreign labor invasion and chinese dumping. we are smiling sinking to the bottom of the swimming pool. american labor is anti labor. you see those poor mexican people working 12 hrs a day and sleeping in the bushes in a canyon at night??? that is where mr businessman wants to put you next. you think i am joking? mr convair mr teledyne ryan used to have an RV parked out front of his house, now he does not have a house and he is living in that RV in the park he used to picnic in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:59 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
I see you are From S.A. Texas, are the players from the Spurs extremely inefficient union members? They look quite efficient to me when I watch them. A union doesn't encourage laziness people are lazy in non union shop environments as well.
There is absolutely abuse from members that comes with some unions but to pretend that its members are untouchable is wrong.You just have to build a case "just cause" which is in response to mgmt firing employees in bad faith or non work related activity.
I really don't think players need unions. They should get paid on merit and they usually do. If the team sucks, people aren't going to watch and you'll eventually go away. Why should someone be forced to pay you for producing garbage and sucking? I can't stand the fact that all of the current GM and Chrysler vehicles are being built with MY money and I'm paying the salary of some lazy a$$ like my aunt.

and you actually think unions didn't destroy the state of Michigan? Have you ever lived there or visited? I spent the first 18 years of my life there and I know for a fact that they are the main reason the state is the joke it is now.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:07 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
I wonder if the writer of the article received a dead fish wrapped in newspaper? Did he step outside to find his tires slashed and union goons standing nearby saying, "sure is a shame something like that happened,...just be glad it wasn't you".

Old 09-08-2009, 02:02 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the most bizarre thing. unions are the only people fighting for the little guy. its the only reason france did not drown under foreign labor invasion and chinese dumping. we are smiling sinking to the bottom of the swimming pool. american labor is anti labor. you see those poor mexican people working 12 hrs a day and sleeping in the bushes in a canyon at night??? that is where mr businessman wants to put you next. you think i am joking? mr convair mr teledyne ryan used to have an RV parked out front of his house, now he does not have a house and he is living in that RV in the park he used to picnic in.

I'm sure the union heads fought for the little guy.

Then those union dues being raked in meant more than anything else.

I would hope my thought is not the case, but then again, it's not like all my family members that worked at the Nabisco plant that closed down 10+ years ago here in Houston got anything out of it.

One thing, though...if you are worried about where your boss will put you, grow a set and grow your own biz from the ground up and put HIM (or her) out of business. Most would rather just cry about it these days, it seems.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
One thing, though...if you are worried about where your boss will put you, grow a set and grow your own biz from the ground up and put HIM (or her) out of business. Most would rather just cry about it these days, it seems.
Great post!

Old 09-08-2009, 10:13 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Entitlement junkies (ie. union crybabies) only prevail when there are businesses to provide the entitlements. Amazingly, it took over a hundred-years for these junkies to understand this. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to them until they had to sell the boat, four-wheeler, camper, and '64 GTO and assume the same unflattering position in the unemployment line as the rest of American's to finally realize that a century of shooting yourself in the foot in order to keep up with the Jones's wasn't really worth all that loyalty (or union dues).

Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 AM

479 posts, read 879,451 times
First off its not just your $$ going to the automakers. I can't stand my $$ funding two wars(one illegal) where private contractors are getting huge tax free no-bid contracts. How can you blame the unions for the demise of Detroit(Michigan)? Is it the UAW fault that GM, Ford etc.. built inferior products and destroyed its reputation?Was it the UAW fault that mgmt had a lack of vision and kept building gas guzzling tanks instead of focusing more on hybrids and crossovers?What the union did was ensure that its workers were provided with a middle class wage as well as pension so that its members didn't have to work three jobs to make ends meet like our former President encouraged.The assault on labor unions is unwarranted, look how many non union sectors have been outsourced.We are by far the hardest working and most productive industrialized country.But I loathe the upcoming competition with third world country's slave wages just to survive in America. The new trend for employers is contingency labor or temp hires so they don't have to provide bennies and offer lower pay. Everyone doesn't aspires to be an entrepreneur and for those who do a lot of them do it unsuccessfully.If you really believe that corrupt unions are whats bankrupting this country instead of greedy unscrupulous wall st. executives then it really shows why America is quickly heading into 3rd world oblivion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I really don't think players need unions. They should get paid on merit and they usually do. If the team sucks, people aren't going to watch and you'll eventually go away. Why should someone be forced to pay you for producing garbage and sucking? I can't stand the fact that all of the current GM and Chrysler vehicles are being built with MY money and I'm paying the salary of some lazy a$$ like my aunt.

and you actually think unions didn't destroy the state of Michigan? Have you ever lived there or visited? I spent the first 18 years of my life there and I know for a fact that they are the main reason the state is the joke it is now.

Old 09-08-2009, 01:30 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
no, the crappy quality product is pushed out the door because the company cannot fire an incompetent and lazy workforce. Have you lived in Michigan? If you haven't, you really do not know what these people are like. Like I said, I was born and raised there through age 18. I saw the "quality" workers they had because I went to school with them. The only people that wanted to work there were the lazy kids that had no ambition.
So if the unions weren't what destroyed Michigan, what did?

BTW, why would you claim a contracting company does not pay taxes? You obviously have no clue on that one either. I am a contracter for the Air Force and my company pays payroll taxes on all employees and the owner definitely pays her share of income tax. We are also currently in a re-bid amongst other competitors. There are exceptions, but that is FAR from the rule. The only ones that are not taxed are the employees in a war zone that follow the IRS guidelines. Please get your facts straight before you post information that is not even close to being correct.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
I live in a Right to Work State (Arizona).

When a Contractor or Developer has a project to build, they put it to bid and any company - unionized or non union are welcome to bid.

Usually, the contractor who submits the lowest bid that meets the requirements of the job (agrees to all the specs) gets the job - regardless of their "union" status.

It is COMMON place for a job site to have non union and union companies working side by side.

And everything works out just fine.

I would hope all states can do the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies