Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Tell that to the families of the victims that have been championing this for 7 years. Are they exploiting the deaths of their family members?
Come on, Of course NOT!. They are the families.
However once the politicians get involved with this it obviously becomes a stage for political gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:22 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Good lord, there are some very small people on C-D.

Who could possibly be against the proposal for a day of service? What kind of twisted soul would oppose such a thing? Even George W. Bush thought it was a fine idea. How far extreme right do you have to be to find some hate there?

You people are really, seriously sick in the head.

Twisted?

When did anyone on this thread say they were against a day of service?

Go ahead look for it.

No one is against a day of service and we all know that's a strawman.

The issue is 9/11 and honoring those who died without introducing the convenient politics of the day.

Turning a memorial service into a political rally degrades every one of us.

We are all outraged by protests at the funerals of our war dead.

So let's not make 9/11 another example of that revolting practice by turning it into a political rally of sorts.

A day of service can be any other day, but to say it has to be this one day while also saying that we are not exploiting this tragedy to promote a political agenda is intellectually dishonest.

Squeal all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that this one day has been singled out to promote a political aim.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:29 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Come on, Of course NOT!. They are the families.
However once the politicians get involved with this it obviously becomes a stage for political gain.
You should do your research then, because the families are the ones that have been proposing this to the politicians year after year to get it made official.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Twisted?

Go ahead look for it.

The issue is 9/11 and honoring those who died without introducing the convenient politics of the day.

So let's not make 9/11 another example of that revolting practice by turning it into a political rally of sorts.

A day of service can be any other day, but to say it has to be this one day while also saying that we are not exploiting this tragedy to promote a political agenda is intellectually dishonest.

Squeal all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that this one day has been singled out to promote a political aim.
Again, how is this a political issue when it is the organization started by the families of the victims that proposed it, and lobbied to have it put into place for 7 years?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:48 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,215,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Twisted?

Perhaps when President Obama suggested a day of service and the wingnuts went ballistic.

Again - anybody who made a stink over this is sick in the head.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:50 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Twisted?

Go ahead look for it.

It's not a political rally. It's a national day of service and remembrance.

Quote:
Led by the 9/11 non-profit MyGoodDeed, 9/11 families and others worked for more than seven years to establish September 11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance -- finally securing passage of legislation in April 2009, within the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act, which authorized the creation of the 9/11 observance. Since that time, MyGoodDeed has organized an unprecedented coalition of organizations that have come together to engage not only Americans, but people from around the world. Since its inception in 2002, supporters of MyGoodDeed have pledged to perform more than a million acts of service, spanning all 50 states and some 170 countries and territories. This year, tens of thousands have visited the organization's website, 911dayofservice.org, since its early August launch to pledge their good deeds. Thousands have also posted their service plans for 9/11 at the federal government's volunteer service website, serve.gov.

Nation Rallies Around First Official 9/11 National Day of Service and Remembrance | Reuters

Old 09-08-2009, 10:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
I have no idea where you pulled that response from. Certainly not from the text I posted but if you have to pull sh** out of thin air to make a response go ahead only you will look stupid.
Well, you haven't proposed anything else! What do we usually do on Sept. 11? Nothing special. One of my kids had a gymnastics meet on Sept. 11, 2002. I think there was a moment of silence. Period. Otherwise we went on with our day.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,368,587 times
[quote=idahogie;10660664]Perhaps when President Obama suggested a day of service and the wingnuts went ballistic.

quote]

But it isn't "a" day of service is it?

It is this day, 9/11.

He may make it any day he likes. He can expand his Obama Youth groups as he likes, but exploiting this day is no different than a political speech at a funeral.

P.S. I'm taking the "Again - anybody who made a stink over this is sick in the head." line.

It's a classic.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:00 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,051,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, you haven't proposed anything else! What do we usually do on Sept. 11? Nothing special. One of my kids had a gymnastics meet on Sept. 11, 2002. I think there was a moment of silence. Period. Otherwise we went on with our day.
I propose to keep politicians out of it and it will not become a political issue. Everything the families have done is tremendous and I would help them in anyway I could. To me-the politcians will only ruin their efforts.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I propose to keep politicians out of it and it will not become a political issue. Everything the families have done is tremendous and I would help them in anyway I could. To me-the politcians will only ruin their efforts.
The families and their organizations are the ones who have been contacting the politicians to get it made official. This is a great victory for them. Read up on the organization mygooddeed. This has been reported on here in NY on pretty much every 9/11 anniversary.

If you want to help the families - then support the National Day of Service and volunteer.
Quote:
About Us

We are working to establish 9/11 as a National Day of Service and Remembrance. We want something good to come from the events of that tragic day. With the help of more than 22 9/11 family groups, and other 9/11 leaders, we formed MyGoodDeed Inc in 2003, a nonprofit 501c3 group to help us raise money and spread the word about our initiative. Our mission, quite simply, is to establish 9/11 as an officially recognized National Day of Service, to honor the lives of the thousands who were killed and injured on 9/11, to pay tribute to the many who aided in the rescue and recovery efforts, and to rekindle the remarkable spirit of unity and service that existed in our nation in the days following 9/11. To us, it is the least we can all do. Why should the terrorists get to define for us, and for all future generations, what 9/11 will be? We as Americans should determine for ourselves how we want to remember, and commemorate 9/11.
Quote:
Thanks to the support of so many people, nonprofits and employers, we have already been able to document more than one million good deeds or service activities on this Web site -- many from people who have said to us this was the first time they engaged in volunteerism. Today we are working to educate members of Congress and those within President Obama's administration. Our hope is that one day soon 9/11 will be formally proclaimed a National Day of Service and Remembrance. This historic vision, more now than ever, is well within our grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies