Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:50 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,530,120 times

Advertisements

It has become even more evident after watching all of the unnecessary hoopla over Obama's motivational speech to American school just how much racial bigotry is playing a role.

The fear-mongering is completely out of control and dealing with these people like trying to run in the mud.

These people must be a great embarassment to the Republican establishment. The Republicans must be watching these loonies and think that the party will never recover if the image of the Republican party are these over-the-top, hypercritical, unpatriotic nitwits.

Loons should shut up and listen: Obama not out to brainwash schoolkids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 12:20 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It has become even more evident after watching all of the unnecessary hoopla over Obama's motivational speech to American school just how much racial bigotry is playing a role.

The fear-mongering is completely out of control and dealing with these people like trying to run in the mud.

These people must be a great embarassment to the Republican establishment. The Republicans must be watching these loonies and think that the party will never recover if the image of the Republican party are these over-the-top, hypercritical, unpatriotic nitwits.

It was not Obama's giving a speech to school children that started the hoopla, my friend. It was the lesson plans that came out of the white house. Obama has a tendency to over reach. Sending out the lesson plans asking the kids what they can do to help him is an example of such an over reach. You need to get your facts straight before you come in here spouting off.

- Reel

Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,365 times
Video: Bush and Reagan school addresses were very partisan compared to Obama school speech

That link also recalls "the Bush (sr) school lesson also asked children to "write him" and "tell him what they can do to help him achieve his goals."

Old 09-07-2009, 12:29 PM

245 posts, read 447,769 times
Quote:

Only a true racist accuses others of "...racial bigotry". The "hoopla" has nothing to do with race. Instead it has to do with Obama and his meat puppets in Congress who have used every opportunity available to promote the democratic party and their liberal agendas. Neither major party should ever politicize an opportunity to better american children.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:32 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
It was not Obama's giving a speech to school children that started the hoopla, my friend.

Nonsense.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:

Shut up?

Where have I heard that before?

YouTube - Klavan On The Culture

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
Quote:

I agree it is obvious that the objections to Obama's speech are just a cover for racism. No sane caring person would object to students doing better in school. Unfortunately, I don't think the Republican leaders are embarrassed. I think they are banking on that quote of Mencken "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people" and hoping to derail Obama by fear since no rational ground is available. Our country will pay the price.

7,380 posts, read 15,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyT View Post
Only a true racist accuses others of "...racial bigotry".
that's interesting logic.

so if i see a dude wearing a swastika t-shirt and he says he'd like to kill all the n*****s, i'm a racist if i say that he's racist?

that being said, except in the cases of obvious racism against obama (of which there are plenty), i don't think it does any good to accuse people of racism. in some cases it's true, in some it's not, but there's no way to prove it and it makes whatever point you're making easily dismissable. it also turns the debate into one about racism instead of one about the issue at hand.

why not just assume the best of people and start out with the idea that people who are attacking obama are either legitimately concerned about his policies, or are hyper partisan?

anyway, compjockey's excellent post is probably destined to get buried in another avalance of "you're racist!" "no, YOU'RE racist!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by compJockey View Post
Video: Bush and Reagan school addresses were very partisan compared to Obama school speech

That link also recalls "the Bush (sr) school lesson also asked children to "write him" and "tell him what they can do to help him achieve his goals."

Old 09-07-2009, 01:00 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
This is an issue of racism? Folks who do wish to have a choice in whether or not their kids watch this address under the schools supervision, and not theirs, as parents, are automatically racists? Look, there is a legitimate concern, by many, that this address will flow into areas the government has no business in. A message of applying oneself to their education, and of pursuing higher learning is just great, but, Obama has shown himself quite capable of injecting ideaology into such innocuous seeming affairs. One comment about his opposition, in the vein of defeating said opposition, has no business in our schools. People are concerned that this will happen. I am concerned that this will happen, and that teachers and school adminitrations will condone such rhetoric to our kids. That this has become such a large issue is testement to how widespread opposition to Obamas agenda is becoming.Widespread and highly vocal. This , apparently, is of great concern to his supporters, who wish this dissent to just go away. So much for rational discourse. This president is the most polarizing figure to pop up in US politics in quite a spell.Opposition to his policies and methods is not just a small group of raving lunatics, much as his supporters wish to believe that to be true. My son will watch the adress, though the school has not said a word about it, I'm sure it's on the agenda for tomorrow. He and I will talk about it after school, and I will find out how the school handled things. If I get wind of one teacher spouting politics and 'Obamaology', to my son, I will be in the office the next morning to discuss the issue. He is MY child, at the end of the day. If this adress takes on any idealogical overtones I will have issue with it. I'm more concerned about the teachers and school admin making it that way than of the pres blatantly stumping his agenda. But that is a legitimate concern, which I will watch closely.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:01 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,299,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Nonsense.
Another great argument by the ovacatto man. Way to keep it pithy.

- Reel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies