Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 09:56 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You completely ignored my question and went off on a tangent about how CHILDREN can ask for help.. the question posed in the original assignment list was

"what they can do to help the president"..

The question wasnt how children can ask for help, the question CLEARLY was, how THEY can help the president.. DO WHAT? If the speech wasnt changed, then what from THIS speech, was he asking for help to do? Ignoring the question and going off on a tangent, doesnt mean the question wasnt asked..
No, I answered your question. "Maybe when you hear the speech in context it'll become clear how "help the president" fits in as something the class can think about. This part of the speech maybe:"

The indented part is a quote of the speech. That's why it's indented.

Really, the WH doesnt need your editing advice. Im sure that when you hear the speech, if you ever dare to, "help the president" will fall into place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
zimbochick just posted it.
Actually he didnt, lets quote what zimbochick posted..
But you’ve got to do your part too. So I expect you to get serious this year. I expect you to put your best effort into everything you do. I expect great things from each of you.

Nope, nothing in there asking the children to help the president.. it is how the children can help themself.. HUGE difference.. I have no problem with children helping themself, but any question about what children can do to help the president is not appropriate and would seem retarded given the current speech released.
Quote:
you're probably right though - he probably was going to ask the kids to form a mini-army, kill their parents, and help him become dictator of the glorious USSA.
Now your going off on kook land.. Everytime someone disputes something liberals dont want to hear with a very clear fact, do you always go off on a tangent and look pathetic?

Old 09-08-2009, 09:58 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
translation, you dont have an answer about what the president was asking for help from the original class assignments releaed...

thanks for sharing..

translation in an attempt to steer away from the fact that a link can not be provided. .."Pg changed the wording to class assignment from original speech that was NEVER RELEASED",

Thanks for proving once again that you can NEVER admit when you are WRONG

Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No, I answered your question. "Maybe when you hear the speech in context it'll become clear how "help the president" fits in as something the class can think about. This part of the speech maybe:"

The indented part is a quote of the speech. That's why it's indented.
Not at all true, even if you pretend it does..

Asking children to ask others for HELP to be successful does not answer what the president wanted children to do to HELP THE PRESIDENT..

They are opposites.. you do know what opposites are, dont you?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
translation in an attempt to steer away from the fact that a link can not be provided. .."Pg changed the wording to class assignment from original speech that was NEVER RELEASED",

Thanks for proving once again that you can NEVER admit when you are WRONG
So your now denying that the original class assignment asked the children what they can do to "help the president".. Wow, even other liberals here on this thread have pointed out that was true.. Hell, they are the ones who quoted it...

Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
why does he have to ask for help in the speech in order for there to be a discussion question asking how kids think they can help the president? that just does not follow. they're topics for discussion, not a quiz.
Quote:
During the Speech:

As the President speaks, teachers can ask students to write down key ideas or phrases that are important or personally meaningful. Students could use a note-taking graphic organizer such as a Cluster Web, or students could record their thoughts on sticky notes. Younger children can draw pictures and write as appropriate. As students listen to the speech, they could think about the following:

What is the President trying to tell me?
What is the President asking me to do?
What new ideas and actions is the President challenging me to think about?

Students can record important parts of the speech where the President is asking them to do something. Students might think about: What specific job is he asking me to do? Is he asking anything of anyone else? Teachers? Principals? Parents? The American people?

Students can record any questions they have while he is speaking and then discuss them after the speech. Younger children may need to dictate their questions.

After the Speech:

Teachers could ask students to share the ideas they recorded, exchange sticky notes or stick notes on a butcher paper poster in the classroom to discuss main ideas from the speech, i.e. citizenship, personal responsibility, civic duty.

Students could discuss their responses to the following questions:

What do you think the President wants us to do?
Does the speech make you want to do anything?
Are we able to do what President Obama is asking of us?
What would you like to tell the President?

Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president. These would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals.

President Obama’s Address to Students Across America September 8, 2009
If 0bama "The Narcissist" had his way, he would completely monopolize the children, as they found ever more ways to be glorified over his wondrous speech, for weeks on end, as they wrote essays, created videos, and posters, poems, songs, personal essays, create artistic projects, and on and on and on. Meanwhile their test scores in math, English, history, Geography, Science would all keep falling behind.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
If 0bama "The Narcissist" had his way, he would completely monopolize the children, as they found ever more ways to be glorified over his wondrous speech, for weeks on end, as they wrote essays, created videos, and posters, poems, songs, personal essays, create artistic projects, and on and on and on. Meanwhile their test scores in math, English, history, Geography, Science would all keep falling behind.
Y'all need to tell me where you buy your tin foil, because the quality obviously is better than mine. I have been wearing my hat all morning, and I'm still not getting any of this from either the lesson plan or the speech.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:07 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Not at all true, even if you pretend it does..

Asking children to ask others for HELP to be successful does not answer what the president wanted children to do to HELP THE PRESIDENT..

They are opposites.. you do know what opposites are, dont you?
You seem to be yelling so loudly and so wanting to fight that you cant understand what other people are saying.

Calm down and read it again. Oh, it's on TV now.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:08 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,675,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
yeah, they're things for kids to think about during the speech.

that doesn't mean they have to be explicitly stated in the speech.

they're meant to ASK THEMSELVES "what does the president want me to do". not pinpoint the sentence where he specifically asks for something. it's encouraging them to THINK ABOUT what he's saying and draw their own conclusions from it, not just regurgitate.

i think these discussion questions (and the speech itself) give a lot more credit to the intelligence of children than some of you people do.

and if obama is a narcissist, what does that say about reagan & bush 1?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,996,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
The left wingers miss the point again as usual. I am sure everyone here will agree that education starts in the home, so why isn't the President addressing parents to become more involved in their child's schooling? Why not start there and say that we all need to get together and work on setting goals for kids to learn? Wouldn't that be more "unifying" and encouraging for parents to actually care about what their own kids are being taught?

And I love how many lefties conveniently forget that this speech was changed even when the conservatives point it out to them.

But again, address the parents and have them get involved, that is the most important thing in a child's education.
He has. Remember the Father's Day speech about a year ago? I'm sure I've heard him bring up personal responsibility at the home in other speeches as well. Do you even listen to his speeches or do you just listen to :15 sound bites on right wing talk radio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies