Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:16 PM

441 posts, read 1,327,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Given that they have chosen to use the swastica as a symbol and profess admiration for Nazi Germany seems like a good reason. Check the video again.
Mongolians used swastika centuries before Germans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:59 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
^^^

The one used by Asian groups, such as Mongolians aren't the same as the one used by the Nazi.

For one, the one used by the Mongolians, were not bent at a 90 degree angle, as the Nazi. Also, it represented peace, not hate.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:53 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meet4 View Post
Mongolians used swastika centuries before Germans.
I am aware that the Buddhists have long used this symbol.

However, it was quite clear from the film clips that this was not where these people got their swastika. Take a look at the film clip again. They are the ones making the connexion between their movement and the Nazis.

Old 09-09-2009, 02:58 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
There is even the German flag on the clothes of those guys So really, trying to make them appear like peaceful Jainas (Jainism is the religion associated with the Swastika if I am not mistaken) is a bit odd.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinsov View Post
i dont think there is anything inherently wrong with wanting to protect your nations identity. but then my country is turning mexican
Nationialism, just like Islamism and most other -isms, is as such automatically negative. The more positive form that might be thinking of is patriotism.

Regarding the States and Mexico, wasn't the southwestern USA Hispanic before it turned WASP in the first place? Why are so many place names there Spanish instead of English?
Culture is always in flux, no culture has the right to stay unchanged forever. Do you think the Indians were happy when the WASPs took their land?
I guess US-Americans should realize that there is nothing special about their country, it is not protected, preferred, supported etc. by any god no matter how much they like to think that way. That should be quite clear from that country's messy history, present and probably future, too.
When a culture tries to ward off change and development, it becomes a living museum. Just look at the Amish
Apart from that, you still have it easy over there, it is just a language change. Mexicans are Christians just like most US-Americans, so same values. In Europe countries are having to deal with an entirely different religion, Islam, which has quite different values. That is a challenge...

I guess the real problem - around the world - is that a lot of people still define themselves via culture rather than their own individual persona. I only began to realize that after having lived in various countries myself. Although most people won't admit it, they think that their own culture is superior, which is why they want to draw lines between cultures and separate themselves from others in the first place.

Last edited by Neuling; 09-09-2009 at 03:40 AM..

Old 09-09-2009, 05:21 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,872,814 times
I guess the real problem - around the world - is that a lot of people still define themselves via culture rather than their own individual persona

And the people being from native cultures like American Indians or the Inuit for instance? oh, I forgot, their cultures are "endangered" so they have the right to define themselves via culture, not the bad bad WASPs....

Old 09-09-2009, 07:09 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Also people can define themselves as more than one thing at a time. Just by definition I'm a brother, an uncle, a great-uncle, and a son. Culturally I'm Roman Catholic, a science fiction reader, a history buff, an Arkansawyer, a Midwestern (as I've lived in the Midwest most of my life), an English-speaker, etc.

Still I don't relate to nationalism at least not of the conventional kind. I can understand saying "My nationality is my family", even if I don't precisely feel that, but if that's your view some forms of nationalism still wouldn't work. For example if your nation is your family you should want some "new blood" on occasion otherwise everyone's marrying "in-family." Likewise if a nationality is like a family do you really think it's wise to go on to everyone that your family is so much better than their's?

So much nationalism seems based in "My nations better than you" or "I don't want your nation tainting mine" that it's unappealing to me. Also when an American Indian tribe goes on about being "the best tribe" or obsesses too much on being "pure-blood" I think it can be irritating. It's okay to love your nationality, but don't get egocentric or weird about it.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
I guess the real problem - around the world - is that a lot of people still define themselves via culture rather than their own individual persona

And the people being from native cultures like American Indians or the Inuit for instance? oh, I forgot, their cultures are "endangered" so they have the right to define themselves via culture, not the bad bad WASPs....
Same there, history cannot be rewritten, so they should make the best of the past, close that chapter, and arrive in the present, opening up to the rest of US-American people (but the same of course goes for places like Brazil or Mexico). But of course that requires that they feel welcome in the whole nation.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:44 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,493,154 times
Okay, so there's Nazi Russians, now Nazi Mongolians...and I don't think all of them combined have the intelligence of most 5 year olds.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:06 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Did you guys know that the Nazis had several entire SS divisions made up of people from places like Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, and Russian POWs from the far east and other parts of the Soviet Empire who "volunteered" to serve in the German military?

Ever see the picture of the Asian German soldier being processed into a POW detention center by US Army MPs in northern France sometime in June of 1944?

Asian and Asiastic looking Nazis were not that uncommon in units made up of Russian POWs - such as in the units that manned the defense positions along Omaha Beach. Also, remember that Asian nations are very homogenous, Japan is something like 98% ethnic Japanese. National identidy is very important to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies