Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 12:12 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
"I think your definition of slavery is nonsense but I'm not even going to argue that point."

By your own admission, you did not argue the point, but said that his definition was nonsense. I have never had a lack of reading comprehension abilities nor the ability to admit when I was mistaken. I backtracked to see if I had missed something that you might have stated in a previous post and could not find anything. Why don't you point it out to me? If it does not exist, it might be you that has problems, constructing a sentece that states what you actually mean...pal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
I think your definition of slavery is nonsense but I'm not even going to argue that point. Wright was born in 1941 and you say this ended in 1945 when wright was 3 years old and you claim this gives him some kind of extra 'rights'? The whole premise of your argument is incorrect. I have just as much of a right to speak on this topic as dose Wright.
- Reel
I think this is the section he is refering to. He is questioning the premise that Wright's 1st 3-4 years of life constituted the entirety of his experience with slavery, and if so does this really give him any real experience with slavery in the context of the posts stating that the form of slavery being discussed (initially by idahogie I think) existed until WWII (using the year it ended.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Proving once again that you don't know your history. State-aided corporate slavery was practiced up until WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,216,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Sorry, that's just not how it works.

Fortunately, we still have free speech, in spite of liberals like you trying to deny it to those who oppose obama and his ruinous agenda.
How exactly am I trying to deny you free speech? Back up your idiotic claim.

I am mocking you and everyone who is staging this fake-outrage against Obama.

The only people who are a threat to free speech are the yahoos at the townhalls who are asserting their "first amendment right to yell louder than everyone else."

Old 09-08-2009, 12:16 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
Quote:

That's the trouble with people like Wright, Jones and obama. Every issue can be boiled down to race.
Well Sanrene, is Obama a black Christian fundamentalist who is a racist, or is he a Kenyan National Muslim with "extreme" terrorist ties? Or is he an elitist liberal who pals around with domestic terrorists?

When you make up your mind, get back to us and let us know.

Thanks.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I think this is the section he is refering to. He is questioning the premise that Wright's 1st 3-4 years of life constituted the entirety of his experience with slavery, and if so does this really give him any real experience with slavery in the context of your posts stating that the form of slavery you were talking about existed until the end of WWII.
I'm the one who made the orginal statement - that during the Rev. Wright's life he had experienced a number of things that gave him the right to talk about racism in America. A number of less-than-intelligent people focused on that one particular part, claiming that slavery ended at the Civil War.

But the original point still stands and is still valid. Slavery, medical experimentation, outright bigotry and institutional racism, and modern white privilege have all gone on during the Rev. Wright's lifetime, and those things should inform everyone about racial matters in the US.

But there is a tiny group of people who demand that we not remind them about racism. They insist it doesn't exist - or if it does, that it shouldn't be mentioned because that's "playing the race card."

Don't give in to those idiots.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:52 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I think this is the section he is refering to. He is questioning the premise that Wright's 1st 3-4 years of life constituted the entirety of his experience with slavery, and if so does this really give him any real experience with slavery in the context of the posts stating that the form of slavery being discussed (initially by idahogie I think) existed until WWII (using the year it ended.)
I appreciate your attempt to clarify what the poster stated, but I purposefully addressed what I thought needed to be addressed in the post. As for the part about Wright's experience with slavery, that is also debatable. It is common knowledge that the children of Holocaust survivors paid a psychological price because of the horrific experiences of ther parents. A subject for another day.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
How exactly am I trying to deny you free speech? Back up your idiotic claim.

I am mocking you and everyone who is staging this fake-outrage against Obama.

The only people who are a threat to free speech are the yahoos at the townhalls who are asserting their "first amendment right to yell louder than everyone else."
Waiting ...

Old 09-09-2009, 05:46 PM

323 posts, read 503,026 times
When it becomes clear to the so-called liberals that Barack Obama cannot win in the 2012 election due to immense unpopularity, and they seek to replace him with Hillary Clinton, they will by their own "logic" be racists. I hope everyone will remember to call them on that.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
When it becomes clear to the so-called liberals that Barack Obama cannot win in the 2012 election due to immense unpopularity, and they seek to replace him with Hillary Clinton, they will by their own "logic" be racists. I hope everyone will remember to call them on that.
Only the idiots would.

Again, where is any ounce of proof that "opposition to Obama" = racism?

None? Right ... that's what I thought. Another commenter who primarily comments and only secondarily thinks.

By the way - where did you get your crystal ball? I think you deserve a refund. Or are you a client of Miss Cleo?

Old 09-09-2009, 06:00 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Oh please. That is definitely the "talking point" of the leftists. If you oppose obama, it is because he is black.

YouTube - Mike Barnicle Is the publi reaction to Health Care racist

Old 09-11-2009, 04:26 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,845,391 times
Quote:
Oh please. That is definitely the "talking point" of the leftists. If you oppose obama, it is because he is black.
I think too many people are too quick to play the race card all across the political spectrum. Not only is it used too often, but normally it is used incorrectly. Racism involves the belief that a race is superior to another.

I find it curious that you posted a video where the commentator talks about how the Obama administration is going out of its way not to reference race. Kind of goes against your original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene
That's the trouble with people like Wright, Jones and obama. Every issue can be boiled down to race.
Just because you choose to only listen to or read sources that only publish statements from Wright, Jones and Obama in racial terms doesn't mean that is how they view every issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies