Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you watch Obama's speech?
Yes 18 38.30%
No 26 55.32%
I watched snippets later 3 6.38%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:09 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
Hayel, NO! I don't have a TV. Besides, I'm listening to RUSH!
your loss. Were you afraid you might hear something non-offensive and be left with nothing to complain about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 11:13 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
It should be interesting to see what YOU post; after all, you said you abhor Rush, that's he's a fat, ugly slob. Didntcha?
Yes, I did, I do and he is. I'll post quotes 'n' links as always.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times
Default Did you watch Obama's speech live?

No, and I'm a teacher in a public HS. Our TVs can show videos and closed-circuit presentations only. We can't receive over-the-air or cable TV broadcasts.

But I read the text online. Looked like a good message to send the kids at the beginning of another school year. I hope he does it again in the future.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:17 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Most inspiring, down to earth speech kids have EVER heard from a president. Absolutely wonderful.
I tuned in for a portion of the speech. Whether it was the most inspiring speech ever heard from a president is debatable.

Having taught and observed a large number of students I would estimate that fewer than 8% of the student population listened intently to the speech. They have just returned from a long weekend for one thing and by lunchtime the attention span becomes less focused. 'It got me out of ???Math, Science, or English and that was good because I didn't have my homework' would be a rather typical response from some students.

shrug--I would think that family values override anything said by an elected official. I was a good student, never considered not completing my education and any speech would have me sighing/rolling my eyes. I'm afraid the POTUS would have to tour schools personally and look directly into the souls of the young to actually impact their lives. jmo.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 AM

304 posts, read 856,529 times
Quote:
I look forward to Rush's & Faux's spins on this. They're not big enough to admit they were wrong, so it should be interesting.
He;s probably going to listen to this speech backwards and claim that there was a hidden subliminal message in it...wait and see!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:22 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I tuned in for a portion of the speech. Whether it was the most inspiring speech ever heard from a president is debatable.

Having taught and observed a large number of students I would estimate that fewer than 8% of the student population listened intently to the speech. They have just returned from a long weekend for one thing and by lunchtime the attention span becomes less focused. 'It got me out of ???Math, Science, or English and that was good because I didn't have my homework' would be a rather typical response from some students.

shrug--I would think that family values override anything said by an elected official. I was a good student, never considered not completing my education and any speech would have me sighing/rolling my eyes. I'm afraid the POTUS would have to tour schools personally and look directly into the souls of the young to actually impact their lives. jmo.
well, I said "that kids have ever heard", but.

Im sorry about those students' attitude -- maybe they'll wake up one day before it's too late.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM

136 posts, read 107,687 times
Quote:

Thanks. I haven't seen it yet but I think it must have been a good speech. The President inspiring young children to stay in school is a plus. I give him a big thumbs up on this.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,244,748 times
Technically I didn't watch it but listened to it on npr. I work about a mile from the school he was speaking at, so I got to see his motorcade pass by which was pretty exciting for everyone in the office.

It was a good speech with a good message. I even thought his choice of school was good since its one of the most diverse schools in the area. It definitely had a you too can be successful despite obstacles message. The truth of the matter is that if anyone else had made the same speech no one would think anything of it.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:24 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
your loss. Were you afraid you might hear something non-offensive and be left with nothing to complain about?
Ah, no, my gain. I'm not a student, nor do I have any kids. I'm retired, lady, I listen and watch what I want, not what I'm dictated to do. Yet.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:26 AM

2,917 posts, read 4,766,749 times
Quote:
Yes, I did, I do and he is. I'll post quotes 'n' links as always.
Ad infinitem? I sorely hope NOT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies