Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:37 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescentsliverofthemoon View Post
What I might say to an UNtruther is 'what's it to you?' If you don't believe what others do, why fall all over yourself to try to convince them otherwise. Credit to you for not name calling as far as I can tell, though.

If the families of 9-11 feel something is amiss with the way the investigation was carried out and the events themselves, then they have every right to insist on an enquiry and expect to be heard - not used as props for propogandas sake. If you had lost something on that day, on those planes or in the buildings you may be thanking Charlie Sheen about now.
Building number 7 is the one bit of the 9-11 commission report that was largely ignored but it is a glaring littlefootnote.
I can tell you what it is to me. Professional engineers who I've worked with for decades, some of whom ran out of that building themselves and who risked their own lives going back to work on that pile for the nine months afterward are being accused of lying for the government, their analysis of the structural elements flung away by people with an agenda to sell DVD's and make videos or even just get in the spotlight. They don't deserve that. It makes me angry that good people are disparaged in this way. They do not work for the government. Most people who worked on the recovery and investigation do not work for the government, but because most truthers haven't bothered to even educate themselves as to the basics of the structural details and the details of the recovery and investigation, they seem to really really believe that the federal government somehow swooped down on lower Manhattan and blocked all access to everyone except for them. It just isn't true.

Don't twist the facts. Most of the families are asking how it could happen, not "who planted bombs in the building". We ALL want to know that much.

What you say about Building 7 comes directly from truther websites. Firefighters and building people whom I personally know who were actually there know about the fires and the structural damage from the collapses of the other buildings. It seems that everyone EXCEPT the truthers, who often dishonestly use the words "collapsed suddenly", knows that the front of the building was buckling and expected to collapse hours before it did.

Why WOULD Building 7 be mentioned in the Commission Report? The CR wasn't a structural analysis, and no one died in there. You might as well ask why the CR didn't address any of the other 19 non-WTC buildings that sustained damage that day. As a matter of fact, I find that most truthers seem completely unaware that an entire church was flattened into nothing by the collapse of T2, let alone the damage to the others.

I did lose something that day. I lost 84 coworkers, the place I loved and had worked in for 19 years and some of my sanity from a close brush with death. Just because we survivors weren't killed didn't mean our lives weren't changed forever.

Thank Charlie Sheen....ROFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I was shocked when the second tower fell. The way it came down, I will never forget watching it on tv. I remember saying "oh my god" when the second plane hit, and the same thing when the towers fell. I don't know. I expected the towers to fall differently. Maybe just part, or something. But it was horrendous to watch. The war was a horror to watch, too. Some people saw the invasion of Iraq as a sporting event from the easy chair.
Your last sentence is exactly how I feel about people watching the WTC on 9/11. To us, it looks like a cartoon because of how little you can actually see of what was going on, but apparently some people believe they can do quite a lot of analysis from simply watching videos.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Hmmm - 'something was wrong with the steel', 'building was leaning'. If that satisfies your scientific requirements, then I guess anything will.
Being struck by a plane and getting jet fuel to burn on some floors does not change the physical properties of steel, and take a huge, reinforced steel structure into a nice little footprint, as in a controlled demolition.
Of course it doesn't satisfy my scientific requirements, your snarky little remarks notwithstanding.

However, what does satisfy my scientific requirements is discussing the structural failure with actual, real live engineers who were present in the building on 9/11 and worked on the recovery and the structural analysis afteward, as well as cops who worked at Fresh Kills sifting through the evidence.

Tell me--If you were in my place--the choice to talk with people who actually were on site, touched and examined the steel and other elements OR to listen to people who were mostly never even near New York City but made their determinations listening to rumors and watching videos--which would YOU choose to believe?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:45 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can tell you what it is to me. Professional engineers who I've worked with for decades, some of whom ran out of that building themselves and who risked their own lives going back to work on that pile for the nine months afterward are being accused of lying for the government, their analysis of the structural elements flung away by people with an agenda to sell DVD's and make videos or even just get in the spotlight. They don't deserve that. It makes me angry that good people are disparaged in this way. They do not work for the government. Most people who worked on the recovery and investigation do not work for the government, but because most truthers haven't bothered to even educate themselves as to the basics of the structural details and the details of the recovery and investigation, they seem to really really believe that the federal government somehow swooped down on lower Manhattan and blocked all access to everyone except for them. It just isn't true.

Don't twist the facts. Most of the families are asking how it could happen, not "who planted bombs in the building". We ALL want to know that much.

What you say about Building 7 comes directly from truther websites. Firefighters and building people whom I personally know who were actually there know about the fires and the structural damage from the collapses of the other buildings. It seems that everyone EXCEPT the truthers, who often dishonestly use the words "collapsed suddenly", knows that the front of the building was buckling and expected to collapse hours before it did.

Why WOULD Building 7 be mentioned in the Commission Report? The CR wasn't a structural analysis, and no one died in there. You might as well ask why the CR didn't address any of the other 19 non-WTC buildings that sustained damage that day. As a matter of fact, I find that most truthers seem completely unaware that an entire church was flattened into nothing by the collapse of T2, let alone the damage to the others.

I did lose something that day. I lost 84 coworkers, the place I loved and had worked in for 19 years and some of my sanity from a close brush with death. Just because we survivors weren't killed didn't mean our lives weren't changed forever.

Thank Charlie Sheen....ROFL.
These vile people who spew this garbage are nothing but America haters. If a democrat was in the White House during 9/11, you would never hear a peep out of them. But, the cowards that they are, hide behind their screenames on this forum, and giggle when they get a rise out of people. It is a waste of time even trying to reason with them, since they have an ideological agenda, and have absolutely no allegiance to this Country. Like yourself, those of us who were involved with 9/11, lost people, or were there, unfortunately have to put up with the truthers..or whatever they call themselves, but in reality, they are out of touch with the real world. I am sorry that someone like yourself has to be subjected to these morons.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:20 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,358 times
Maybe the terrorists were packing thermite in their juice boxes!

Old 09-17-2009, 02:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
These vile people who spew this garbage are nothing but America haters. If a democrat was in the White House during 9/11, you would never hear a peep out of them. But, the cowards that they are, hide behind their screenames on this forum, and giggle when they get a rise out of people. It is a waste of time even trying to reason with them, since they have an ideological agenda, and have absolutely no allegiance to this Country. Like yourself, those of us who were involved with 9/11, lost people, or were there, unfortunately have to put up with the truthers..or whatever they call themselves, but in reality, they are out of touch with the real world. I am sorry that someone like yourself has to be subjected to these morons.
Oh my! A Republican!

Nothing could be further from the truth than a Republican, on this small matter.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:24 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Oh my! A Republican!

Nothing could be further from the truth than a Republican, on this small matter.
You seem to be very confused between Republicans which is a political party..and Patriots..who are people who love this Country...and the rest of what you said is unintelligible....

Old 09-17-2009, 06:45 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course it doesn't satisfy my scientific requirements, your snarky little remarks notwithstanding.

However, what does satisfy my scientific requirements is discussing the structural failure with actual, real live engineers who were present in the building on 9/11 and worked on the recovery and the structural analysis afteward, as well as cops who worked at Fresh Kills sifting through the evidence.

Tell me--If you were in my place--the choice to talk with people who actually were on site, touched and examined the steel and other elements OR to listen to people who were mostly never even near New York City but made their determinations listening to rumors and watching videos--which would YOU choose to believe?
You may be a 'mighty queen', but you don't know much about the laws of physics. I showed you plenty of engineers, from the ones who worked on the towers to the ones who couldn't believe that the Muslims could suspend the laws of physics for a day, and you refuse to open your eyes. Obviously you lack a scientific background.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 PM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
What a typical empty-headed post from a Rush Limbaughish 'patriot'. There are plenty of intelligent Americans who don't buy into your phony ideas of what passes for 'patriotism'. I'll bet my last dime that you supported William Calley's actions over Hugh Thompson's - all in the name of your brand of 'patriotism'.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Muslims Suspend Laws of Physics!
Using jet fuel to melt steel is an amazing discovery, really. It is also amazing that until now, no one had been able to get it to work, and that proves the terrorists were not stupid people. Ironworkers fool with acetylene torches, bottled oxygen, electric arcs from generators, electric furnaces, and other elaborate tricks, but what did these brilliant terrorists use? Jet fuel, costing maybe 80 cents a gallon on the open market.

Muslims Suspend Laws of Physics

These torches concentrate an enormous amount of heat into a small flame.

COMPLETELY irrelevant to 1,000s of gallons of jet fuel burning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies