Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 09:51 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Politico View Post
Rachel Maddow denounces Republican criticism of President Obama for employing “czars.”

Rachel Maddow Show

I especially liked the part where she pointed out that the term "czar" (as it relates to these American positions) is really just a nickname for legitimate (abeit long, awkward) job titles such as "Department of Homeland Security Assistant Secretary for International Affairs and Special Representative for Border Affairs" (Border Czar) and "Director of the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy" (Science Czar).
I don't watch MSNBC, but regardless of where the comment came from, it is true. Czar is a nick-name. Period. Bush nominated over 2000 people, out of which only a small percentage were approved by senate, and you can call them all Czars if you wanted to, but it would not change the fact that they also had their official titles. No doubt Obama will eventually match the number as is seems every president has more than the previous one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Talk about trying to hijack a thread?

Old 09-09-2009, 09:52 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I'm not avoiding. Tell me who you think the "czars" are. I'll be happy to do your legwork for you. But if you can't provide names, well, that poses other questions, doesn't it?
Stop just a darn minute and lets recap the statements made..
Quote:
This is a lie.

Why? Because several of Obama's "czars" have indeed gone through confirmation hearings.
YOUR the one who made the claim that several of Obamas "czars" have gone through the confirmation hearings.. And then when asked which ones, you want me to list them? I'm asking for you to backup your claim, can you tell me what ones of the czars that YOU said went through confirmation hearings did? btw, here is a list of czars found from a quick internet search.. what ones were vetted by Congress for their job as a czar?
  1. Afghanistan-Pakistan (Af-Pak) czar, Richard Holbrooke
  2. AIDS czar, Jeffrey Crowley [openly gay white man]
  3. Auto recovery czar, Ed Montgomery
  4. Behavioral science czar, position not yet filled
  5. Bailout czar, Herbert Allison Jr., [replaced Bush bailout czar Neel Kashkari, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability confirmed by Senate]
  6. Border czar, Alan Bersin
  7. Car czar, Ron Bloom [Counselor to the Secretary of the Treasury , under Senate oversight]
  8. Climate change czar, Todd Stern
  9. Copyright czar, not appointed yet
  10. Counterterrorism czar, John Brennan
  11. Cybersecurity czar, position will be vacant on August 21st [upon the departure of Melissa Hathaway]
  12. Disinformation czar, Linda Douglass [This is a new media buzz since our earlier list, a response by pundits to the White House request for informants: see Glenn Beck and Lew Rockwell]
  13. Domestic violence czar, Lynn Rosenthal
  14. Drug czar, Gil Kerlikowske
  15. Economic czar, Larry Summers
  16. Economic czar number two, Paul Volcker
  17. Education czar, Arne Duncan
  18. Energy czar, Carol Browner
  19. Food czar, Michael Taylor [a former Monsanto executive, or, the fox in charge of the henhouse]
  20. Government performance czar, Jeffrey Zients
  21. Great Lakes czar, Cameron Davis
  22. Green jobs czar, Van Jones [who has a communist background]
  23. Guantanamo closure czar, Daniel Fried
  24. Health czar, Nancy-Ann DeParle
  25. Infotech czar, Vivek Kundra [Shoplifted four shirts, worth $33.50 each, from J.C. Penney in 1996 (source). His last day in DC government was March 4 but on March 12 the FBI raided his office and arrested two staffers.]
  26. Intelligence czar, Dennis Blair [Director of National Intelligence, a Senate confirmed position. He is a retired United States Navy four-star admiral]
  27. Latin-American czar, Arturo Valenzuela (nominee) [although this post is referred to as a czar, he is nominatied to be Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs and so is subject to Senate confirmation. Voting on his confirmation was delayed to clarify his position on Honduras. Watch WaPo's Head Count to track status of confirmation.]
  28. Mideast peace czar, George Mitchell
  29. Mideast policy czar, Dennis Ross
  30. Pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg
  31. Regulatory czar, Cass Sunstein
  32. Religion czar, aka God czar Joshua DuBois
  33. Safe schools czar, Kevin Jennings [appointed to be Assistant Deputy Secretary of the Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools, a newly created post (that does not require Senate confirmation); openly gay founder of an organization dedicated to promoting pro-homosexual clubs and curricula in public schools]
  34. Science czar, John Holdren
  35. Stimulus oversight czar, Earl Devaney
  36. Sudan czar, J. Scott Gration
  37. TARP czar, Elizabeth Warren [chair of the [Congressional Oversight Panel for the Trouble Assets Relief Program; note that Herb Allison is frequently called the TARP czar]
  38. Technology czar, Aneesh Chopra
  39. Trade czar, Ron Kirk
  40. Urban affairs czar, Adolfo Carrion
  41. War czar, Douglas Lute [retained from Bush administration, married to Jane Holl Lute, currently a Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security]
  42. Water czar, David J. Hayes [a Deputy Interior Secretary and therefore subject to Senate oversight]
  43. Weapons czar, Ashton Carter [actually Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics and so subject to Senate confirmation]
  44. Weapons of mass destruction czar, Gary Samore
Positions being planned:
  1. Income redistribution czar
  2. Land-use czar
  3. Mortgage czar, formally "consumer financial protection czar" (source)
  4. Radio-internet fairness czar
  5. Student loan czar, to oversee a program of mandatory service in return for college money
  6. Voter list czar
  7. Zoning czar

Old 09-09-2009, 09:56 AM

1,966 posts, read 2,703,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
oh wow! someone actually admits to watching msnbc!! freaking hilarious. I've been so wanting to meet someone that actually thinks that is news, but nobody ever will for obvious reasons. You seriously watch this? I am being serious here. I have honestly been wanting to know how anyone can watch that channel and actually believe a word they say.
I actually watched a couple minutes of her show today and I swear I could not see how anyone could believe a thing she said. She is a puppet that makes all the puppets on the right and left swinging "news" programs look like actual humans. Please keep bringing that kind of ammo to a fight.

now I need to find someone that actually voted for nancy and I can die a happy man
So, how's that search for a single lie broadcast by Maddow or Olbermann coming? Didja find one yet??

We won't hold our breath...

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't watch MSNBC, but regardless of where the comment came from, it is true. Czar is a nick-name. Period. Bush nominated over 2000 people, out of which only a small percentage were approved by senate, and you can call them all Czars if you wanted to, but it would not change the fact that they also had their official titles. No doubt Obama will eventually match the number as is seems every president has more than the previous one.
Well other than stating the obvious, which is that I think your "2000" people were nominated by Bush as being total BS (that would be nearly one a day)...

I agree with you that Obama is no different than any other president. They keep employing more and more czars or advisors. The fact that one political spectrum defends it while criticizing the other one is rather pathetic.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:57 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
^^^
As far as your list of Czars being planned, more Fox Noise hate/fear propaganda.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
^^^
As far as your list of Czars being planned, more Fox Noise hate/fear propaganda.
So even you think that would be over the top?

Its a shame that since someone ELSE started the list, the #4 position, has already been filled by Mark Lloyd... Which leads one to wonder, when does it stop to be propaganda, and then become the truth?

Old 09-09-2009, 10:06 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Stop just a darn minute and lets recap the statements made..

YOUR the one who made the claim that several of Obamas "czars" have gone through the confirmation hearings.. And then when asked which ones, you want me to list them? I'm asking for you to backup your claim, can you tell me what ones of the czars that YOU said went through confirmation hearings did? btw, here is a list of czars found from a quick internet search.. what ones were vetted by Congress for their job as a czar?
  1. Afghanistan-Pakistan (Af-Pak) czar, Richard Holbrooke
  2. AIDS czar, Jeffrey Crowley [openly gay white man]
  3. Auto recovery czar, Ed Montgomery
  4. Behavioral science czar, position not yet filled
  5. Bailout czar, Herbert Allison Jr., [replaced Bush bailout czar Neel Kashkari, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability confirmed by Senate]
  6. Border czar, Alan Bersin
  7. Car czar, Ron Bloom [Counselor to the Secretary of the Treasury , under Senate oversight]
  8. Climate change czar, Todd Stern
  9. Copyright czar, not appointed yet
  10. Counterterrorism czar, John Brennan
  11. Cybersecurity czar, position will be vacant on August 21st [upon the departure of Melissa Hathaway]
  12. Disinformation czar, Linda Douglass [This is a new media buzz since our earlier list, a response by pundits to the White House request for informants: see Glenn Beck and Lew Rockwell]
  13. Domestic violence czar, Lynn Rosenthal
  14. Drug czar, Gil Kerlikowske
  15. Economic czar, Larry Summers
  16. Economic czar number two, Paul Volcker
  17. Education czar, Arne Duncan
  18. Energy czar, Carol Browner
  19. Food czar, Michael Taylor [a former Monsanto executive, or, the fox in charge of the henhouse]
  20. Government performance czar, Jeffrey Zients
  21. Great Lakes czar, Cameron Davis
  22. Green jobs czar, Van Jones [who has a communist background]
  23. Guantanamo closure czar, Daniel Fried
  24. Health czar, Nancy-Ann DeParle
  25. Infotech czar, Vivek Kundra [Shoplifted four shirts, worth $33.50 each, from J.C. Penney in 1996 (source). His last day in DC government was March 4 but on March 12 the FBI raided his office and arrested two staffers.]
  26. Intelligence czar, Dennis Blair [Director of National Intelligence, a Senate confirmed position. He is a retired United States Navy four-star admiral]
  27. Latin-American czar, Arturo Valenzuela (nominee) [although this post is referred to as a czar, he is nominatied to be Assistant Secretary of State for Western Hemisphere Affairs and so is subject to Senate confirmation. Voting on his confirmation was delayed to clarify his position on Honduras. Watch WaPo's Head Count to track status of confirmation.]
  28. Mideast peace czar, George Mitchell
  29. Mideast policy czar, Dennis Ross
  30. Pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg
  31. Regulatory czar, Cass Sunstein
  32. Religion czar, aka God czar Joshua DuBois
  33. Safe schools czar, Kevin Jennings [appointed to be Assistant Deputy Secretary of the Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools, a newly created post (that does not require Senate confirmation); openly gay founder of an organization dedicated to promoting pro-homosexual clubs and curricula in public schools]
  34. Science czar, John Holdren
  35. Stimulus oversight czar, Earl Devaney
  36. Sudan czar, J. Scott Gration
  37. TARP czar, Elizabeth Warren [chair of the [Congressional Oversight Panel for the Trouble Assets Relief Program; note that Herb Allison is frequently called the TARP czar]
  38. Technology czar, Aneesh Chopra
  39. Trade czar, Ron Kirk
  40. Urban affairs czar, Adolfo Carrion
  41. War czar, Douglas Lute [retained from Bush administration, married to Jane Holl Lute, currently a Deputy Secretary of Homeland Security]
  42. Water czar, David J. Hayes [a Deputy Interior Secretary and therefore subject to Senate oversight]
  43. Weapons czar, Ashton Carter [actually Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics and so subject to Senate confirmation]
  44. Weapons of mass destruction czar, Gary Samore
Positions being planned:
  1. Income redistribution czar
  2. Land-use czar
  3. Mortgage czar, formally "consumer financial protection czar" (source)
  4. Radio-internet fairness czar
  5. Student loan czar, to oversee a program of mandatory service in return for college money
  6. Voter list czar
  7. Zoning czar
You really ought to credit your sources. Did you read your list---you know, the parts where it says "subject to Congressional oversight" or "subject to Senate confirmation". Ron Bloom. Dennis Blair. Arturu Valenzuela. David J Hayes. Ashton Carter. And of course there's the people like Cass Sunstein or Gil Kerlikowske. You know, Senate confirmation hearings. And Elizabeth Warren---who's on your list, but what's her role, oh yeah, she heads up the Congressional Oversight Panel for TARP.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:10 AM

23,560 posts, read 17,232,713 times
Default Rm ????

Who is RM and why would anyone reference her thoughts?

The broadcast content of KO and RM is irrelevant to the feeling of hate and disgust that drip from their words. The message gets lost in the pathological delivery that causes people to reflexively turn away to avoid being infected with the deepest human despair.

If you are that myopic and look at the multitude of czars as a solitary issue, 'perspective' is a word you may wish to look up and consider using in any future critical thinking you might attempt. Even your team mate, the great Democratic Senator Byrd, issued a written concern for the upset of the balance of powers the appointment of so many czars would cause.

VJ the green czar was the capper! Apparently he did not fill out the application form the other good czars did. What was redeemable about that man who spewed racist statements and was an avowed communist ? What does that say about the administration that hired him?

If Cass Sunstein gets in and has his way, your dog will now have legal recourse for the emotional distress you caused it when you boarded him and went on vacation.

It's not about the czars, it is what the multitude of misfit appointments demonstrates about the direction the current administration is trying to take the country.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You really ought to credit your sources. Did you read your list---you know, the parts where it says "subject to Congressional oversight" or "subject to Senate confirmation". Ron Bloom. Dennis Blair. Arturu Valenzuela. David J Hayes. Ashton Carter. And of course there's the people like Cass Sunstein or Gil Kerlikowske. You know, Senate confirmation hearings. And Elizabeth Warren---who's on your list, but what's her role, oh yeah, she heads up the Congressional Oversight Panel for TARP.
You really need to stop and look again, the "subject to Congressional oversight" or "Senate confirmation" is for OTHER positions which these individuals ALSO hold.. They are not being confirmed for the position as an advisor, i.e. czar..

For example, one you listed..
Car czar, Ron Bloom [Counselor to the Secretary of the Treasury , under Senate oversight]
He is ALREADY the Car car, he is under a Senate oversight to become in addition to this position the Counselor to the Secretary of the Treasury.. TWO JOBS.. TWO TITLES, and as I previously proclaimed, they were vetted for one position but not vetted for their job as a "czar".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies