Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:17 PM

140 posts, read 270,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And you're opposed to public option?

By medical community, I hope you don't mean health care providers but health insurance providers. Right?
Both are participants in the scam. Corporate America and the Feds supply an astronomical amount of money to this industry. Why don't individuals pay it? The answer is because of the extreme cost. Do you think health care providers want medical savings accounts? I'll bet not. What they want is to continue to submit invoices according to what they think their services are worth--not what the patient is willing to pay for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:50 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
I strongly oppose any "public option"

I strongly oppose making health insurance mandatory

I strongly oppose the imposition of a fine if one does not have health insurance.

IMO, none of the above will happen.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:17 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
No, I'm looking for something I could reasonably afford and pay over time if need be. A lot of "medical attention" sucks just like most drugs do. When is the last time anybody on here took a drug that was suppossed to cure something and it actually did? One drug is suppossed to treat 15 different problems--which means they don't know much about what they are really doing. However, a patient is suppossed to pay $100 for the stuff in the bottle that probably wont cure him. How many operations are really successful? The amount we are paying for healthcare isn't worth near what is being paid.
What kind of question is that? Do you truly believe that most operations are a waste of time?

My husband has had a hip and a knee replaced. Both surgeries were very successful - he is now pain free in those joints and his quality of life is greatly improved.

We have insurance, so we did not pay the full cost of his medical treatment (approx. $40k each). If you were to ask my husband, he would say that he got his money's worth from both operations.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:22 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

I strongly oppose the imposition of a fine if one does not have health insurance.

I would oppose all that too if we all wern't stuck picking up the fallout from everyone who doesn't take care of themselves. We don't live in a vaccuum and what other people do/don't do directly effects us all. We don't have the option to just say "too bad" when other people screw up their lives. All we can do is minimumize the effects.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Health Insurance to be Mandatory Just Like Car Insurance??
There are millions of people without car insurance, especially illegals.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Both are participants in the scam. Corporate America and the Feds supply an astronomical amount of money to this industry. Why don't individuals pay it? The answer is because of the extreme cost. Do you think health care providers want medical savings accounts? I'll bet not. What they want is to continue to submit invoices according to what they think their services are worth--not what the patient is willing to pay for them.
I'm interested in which savings plan you're talking about (the one signed into law by Clinton in 1996 and expanded a few years ago, or something else).

Having said that, why would it be that you can't pay a fine (2-3% of income) for not carrying insurance but you can save enough towards medical treatment? Would having a savings plan help towards preventative care? What would constitute a requirement for you to withdraw money from the account without penalties?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM

140 posts, read 270,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
What kind of question is that? Do you truly believe that most operations are a waste of time?

My husband has had a hip and a knee replaced. Both surgeries were very successful - he is now pain free in those joints and his quality of life is greatly improved.

We have insurance, so we did not pay the full cost of his medical treatment (approx. $40k each). If you were to ask my husband, he would say that he got his money's worth from both operations.
Yes my mom had both knees replaced and she is doing fine. My dad had a double bypass. Some things those surgeons are good at. Of course some surgeons are better than others. If you had good insurance that gives the medical guys access to lots of $$$$, then you get good care. OTOH, a friend of mine died at the age of 57 because of a botched bypass at the local government funded hospital here. In fact I'm typing these words in the same room he died in.

So, yes doctors are good at replacing parts and tubes, etc. That is if you get a good one and you have good insurance. Some things they are kind of good and kind of bad at (back surgery, replacing torn ligaments, etc), and some things they are just horrible at such as curing people of cancer. $300,000 for the treatment and the majority of cancer patients still die anyway.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post

And yet, you likely hate people for not carrying liability insurance and make you pay for (uninsured motorists). No? Or, are you one of those who doesn't carry liability (auto) insurance because you hate it?

Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM

37,124 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
I'm interested in which savings plan you're talking about (the one signed into law by Clinton in 1996 and expanded a few years ago, or something else).
Isn't it the HSA's, health savings accounts? High deductibles, lower costs. But you need the upfront cash to make it work. I like the idea though but I wish it were cheaper.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:35 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And yet, you likely hate people for not carrying liability insurance and make you pay for (uninsured motorists). No? Or, are you one of those who doesn't carry liability (auto) insurance because you hate it?
"Hate" people for not carrying liability? No, I don't "hate" them.

And, uninsured motorist coverage is optional. I don't have to carry it.

So, may I suggest you stop trying to misrepresent my position on issues - or to put it another way, stop LYING about my position.

OBTW - on several my older vehicles, I don't carry liability insurance. Arizona does not require liability insurance - they do require "proof of financial stability". And you do this by depositing a minimum of $15,000 in a Certificate of Deposit, pledged to the State of Arizona - and this is used in lieu of "liability insurance".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies