Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the depression over?
Heck no. What are you dumb? 52 62.65%
Not really but it is gradually improving somewhat. 28 33.73%
Yes. It is over. We all have jobs now. 0 0%
Yes. It appears that things are back to normal although some are without jobs. 5 6.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,036,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
LOL I have a friend who works in retail and she said she thinks things are on the verge of turning around because she's noticed men are buying underwear again.
well its been 2 years, a piece of string and elastic was becoming uncomfortable not to mention unsightly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 AM

18,938 posts, read 43,314,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Consumers aren't spending. We have a consumer-driven economy. Consumers are either unwilling or unable to incur more debt to continue spending. You do the math.
The Government's Effort Has Failed - The Market Ticker
Even people who have stable jobs are afraid to spend money. When you look around and see your friends and relatives laid off it gives an uneasy feeling.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,243,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Even people who have stable jobs are afraid to spend money. When you look around and see your friends and relatives laid off it gives an uneasy feeling.
Sure. That's exactly what said. People are afraid to spend. It isn't that they don't have money, they are just too nervous to spend it (that's why savings rates are up). However the job cuts are dropping off (and have been since January or so) and by spring they will pretty much have ceased (many companys have already pared to the bone - this is the MAIN reason that their profits are up over the last few months). Once the job cuts end people will be less nervous about their OWN jobs and will loosen the purse strings a bit.

Ken

Old 09-11-2009, 10:21 AM

674 posts, read 1,615,349 times
I don't think its hit the bottom yet. There's more to come. This government needs to BLOCK chinese imports that constantly copies everything and destroys production here. There is no way things will start turning around as long as Bush's trade agreement with china is not reversed and canceled.

Last edited by antibes; 09-11-2009 at 10:31 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 10:25 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,326,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually the "underware index" is pretty well known. I don't think there is a real consensus about how valid it is.
Ken
I never heard of that. I laughed at her when she said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
Haha, I was unaware of the "underwear index" but it makes sense! I just bought new underwear last weekend for the first time in about a year. The economy really must be getting better!
Well at least I'm not the only one who was unaware of the "underwear index"

Old 09-11-2009, 10:26 AM

436 posts, read 904,925 times
I have a neighbor that is a Gulfstream captain and he is walking on eggs lately taking one day at a time thankful to have a job, It will get far worse before it gets better as our deficets are so high, we have no hope of ever paying then off. The glory days are definatly over it has become a game of pure survival and it is about to get really nasty. We will all get schooled in great depressionII as it is coming, if you still have a job kiss lots of butt as maybe it will save you.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/187572...lation_nation/

Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 AM

674 posts, read 1,615,349 times
Quote:
LOL I have a friend who works in retail and she said she thinks things are on the verge of turning around because she's noticed men are buying underwear again.

LOL ! Well, that's an improvement and blessing at least for their wives!...

Old 09-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I never heard of that. I laughed at her when she said it.

Well at least I'm not the only one who was unaware of the "underwear index"
No, most average people have not heard of it (and mention of it pretty much always brings a chuckle) so don['t feel too bad - but in investment circles many folks know of it (even if they don't believe in it, they've generally heard of it).

Ken

Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 AM

436 posts, read 904,925 times
Well I am a realist and we are headed for marsal law as we have given the government too much power and Marseal law will be needed as things spiral out of control over food riots. We need to stop our government before more damage is done.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
Well I am a realist and we are headed for marsal law as we have given the government too much power and Marseal law will be needed as things spiral out of control over food riots. We need to stop our government before more damage is done.
I think you statement clearly shows that you are not a "realist".

I suspect you watch too much TV and surf too many Right Wing wacko survivalist websites. I'm an old fart and I've seen your type of sentiment expressed by the fringes of our society my whole life - and nothing ever comes of it (and nothing will now either).

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies