Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Ok all you naysayers, what say you? Bush plunged us into the worst recession since the 1930s and Obama is pulling us out! This is good news. I know unemployment lags (and a jobless recovery might occur), but at least this is good news and does offer some relief from the legacy Bush left behind.

Fed findings indicate recession may be over - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090909/ap_on_bi_ge/us_economy - broken link)

The Fed's survey found that the majority of regions did report that the government's clunkers program "boosted traffic and sales." But aside from brisk businesses at auto dealerships, other merchants struggled. Consumer spending remained "soft" in most Fed regions.

Great, we borrowed money from the Chinese to bail out the UAW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGibbs View Post
it's far from over. Nice dream though. But, let me entertain you with this. IF it is really over and there was only 10% of the stimulus money spent, things were not nearly as bad as the administration made them out to be. IT WAS ALL FEAR MONGERING!
Aw, no, RG, only Republicans and others of the right are guilty of fear mongering.

Every penny of that money that was appropriated and not spent by now should paid back to "We the people" but of course it won't be. There are surely a number of left leaning pork uses to be found.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:22 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,535,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Why should we trust them to get us out of it?

How many times are we going to be fooled?

I said nothing about TRUST...But their ALL getting OUR tax dollars to pay their salaries, benefits and lifestyle, they need to start working for it. We're worrying about our tax dollars going toward healthcare for others, I'm more concerned with these politicians getting set up for life for doing absolutely nothing but acting like a bunch of spoiled ignorant children.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:28 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I said nothing about TRUST...But their ALL getting OUR tax dollars to pay their salaries, benefits and lifestyle, they need to start working for it. We're worrying about our tax dollars going toward healthcare for others, I'm more concerned with these politicians getting set up for life for doing absolutely nothing but acting like a bunch of spoiled ignorant children.
I am with you!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:28 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
I will remind you all that Bushco had complete control until 2006. There were storm clouds gathering of impending doom BEFORE the Dems entered the picture. These storm clouds were not addressed, much like that bulletin was not addressed on 8/6/01.

I will blame Bushco and the republicans as both 911 and the deepest recession since the great depression took place on their watch. Now we see things are turning around on Obama's watch. Pretty obvious to me who the bad guys were and who the good guys are...

Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
I will remind you all that Bushco had complete control until 2006. There were storm clouds gathering of impending doom BEFORE the Dems entered the picture. These storm clouds were not addressed, much like that bulletin was not addressed on 8/6/01.

I will blame Bushco and the republicans as both 911 and the deepest recession since the great depression took place on their watch. Now we see things are turning around on Obama's watch. Pretty obvious to me who the bad guys were and who the good guys are...
A simple mind relies on simple explanations.

You better unsimplify your mind.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:

I see that you must be a supporter of Van Jones since you are both truthers.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:32 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,448,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
A simple mind relies on simple explanations.

You better unsimplify your mind.
Fine, then you go ahead and demonstrate that complex and big brain of yours by laying it all out for us....

Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Yup. +1

Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,946,937 times
Let me explain why in terms of the four factors that economists use to divide up the total spending in an economy (i.e., the "aggregate demand"). In order for a recovery to occur, the sum of these factors has to rise. Here's why I don't expect that sum to rise:

1. Consumption. Wages and salaries won't be increasing, and people are too deeply in debt to spend more money without more income.

2. Investment. None of the following types of business investment are likely to increase:

a. Manufacturing investment won't increase because China, following a mercantilist policy, will keep the dollar pegged to a rate where they can prevent investments in American manufacturing from becoming profitable.

b. Construction investment won't increase because of over-construction during the house price bubble and because house prices still have a way to fall.

c. Retail investment won't increase because consumption won't be increasing.

d. Energy investment in nuclear or fossil fuel energy sources won't increase because they will be discouraged by the Obama administration and the Democratic Congress. Green energy has proven unequitable.

3. Government Purchases. Although government purchases and subsidies of unprofitable energy production will stay strong, the government can't increase its already huge deficit spending much more.

4. Trade Surplus. An improving trade surplus (i.e. more exports or less imports) would help. But I expect the trade surplus to go the opposite way because many countries, including China, will manipulate their exchange rates to prevent American exports from increasing more than American imports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies